Pilsner Qs from a new-ish brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvansPA

Reaction score
I brewed a what started out as a Bohemian Pilsner a few months ago.
But when brew day came I realized I was short on SAAZ. I wen to the freezer and grabbed what was on hand/ So I used Magnum@60 Saaz@30 Hallertau@10 and SAZZ@0. Total ~ 37IBU's
I really like the way the beer came out.
My Questions are:
How much different would the beer be if I used 100% SAAZ?
Has anyone mixed Hallertau and SAAZ as a regular recipe?
Or Should I just repeat what I did?

I'm sure you'd have a much softer and milder bitterness using Saaz as a bittering charge in place of Magnum. I've done all Saaz in a Pils and it was very good.

Whenever you use different hops than the recipe calls for it will be different. Depending on what hops and when they are added will make a difference on how different. I agree that you should get a milder bitterness with all Saaz. If you really liked the results, brew it again. If you want to see the difference, brew with all Saaz. The choice is yours.

As to Hallertau And Saaz. I have used both but I don't know if I ever used them together.

Both Hallertau and Saaz are relative low AA noble hops. Rather subtle in their flavor profile. Magnum is much higher AA. So, a 60m boil of Magnum is going to give you a lot more hops bitterness than would Saaz/Hallertau. Hopefully not so much as to unbalance a good Pils.

How much of each did u use?

Ah, just noticed the 37 IBU so its stylistically in bounds. I suspect its just a bit more hop forward than it would be with Hallertau/SAAZ.

You might sample some good examples of more traditional Pils to get a feel for the diff.

I brewed one a couple of months ago with about half of the 60 minute addition being CTZ and the rest saaz for about 40 IBUs. Initially it was too bitter and just didn't taste right. At 40-50 days since bottling it tastes wonderful, maybe the best beer I have made. The all saaz version came out good too, also got much better after a couple of months.

I'll be brewing the Pils again, I will try all SAAZ per recipe.
I really enjoyed the Grainy/Malty flavor. Really well balanced. Not much of a hop head. If the SAAZ is pretty mellow that would be great. I want to keep close to the same flavor profile.
It was a 4.5 Gallon batch- used 11g Magnum @60, 35g SAAZ @30, 22 Halertau @10 and 17 SAAZ @FO. 93.5% Gernan Pils 6.5% Cara-pils, 90 Min boil
Has anyone added Munich to their Pilsner?
Maybe 90% Pilsner/5% Munich/5% Cara-Pils

Anyone have a good American Pilsner recipe?

when I was in Belgium it seemed that the primary hop they used was saaz... I believe thats the only hop used in Stella..just about all thier beers seemed to be very malt forward there so I imagine the mild character of the saaz contributes to that.

Back