Pilsner Malts in Extra Pale Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erykmynn

Reaction score
Sort of by accident, I ended up with Pilsner Extract for one of my very first batches, an Extra Pale.

Now I'm sort of hooked on this idea, as it was 90% of the way to an elusive brewpub beer I had once apon a time.

Now I've done a couple all-grain brews, and I want to work on this style again. Both as a SMaSH and in more complex versions. But I'm stuck on two questions...

1) The extract versions I only ever did a 60 minute boil. But I see most actual pilsner recipes call for a 90 minute boil, with warnings about DMS in lesser boils. Should I now do a 90 minute boil when converting my pilsner-malt-based ale recipes to all-grain? It's interesting the extracts don't seem to need 90 minutes.

2) The pilsner lager we brewed had a step infusion and protein rest. My LHBS has "belgain pils" and "german pils". I'm leaning towards the belgian for the ale, but do I assume the protein rest is unnecessary? or suppose I could just ask at the store...

Extract does not need the 90 minute boil because it was boiled down to become extract. SMM to DMS is a result of mashing extraction from the grain the precipitates in teh boil. With your extract you are only boiling to isomerize hop alpha.

Depends on the malt profile. Better LHBS can locate the typical analysis for the malt but you can yourself also. http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html for criterium on when to do protein rest based on MA data.

Back