Pilsner malt , s 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablosanjari

Reaction score
Hi all!
Hope its been a productive weekend of brewing.

Here's my dilemma. Im sitting here with everything I need to make my first pilsner but unfortunately the weathers hotting up and the temperature in my cellar has gone up to 18c. Far too warm even for the yeast I planned to use.
My plan was to brew with:

5kg pilsner
100gr northern brewer
100gr saaz
S-34/70

Question is, now that I can't lager or ferment at cooler temps, rendering s-34/70 useless , do you think that I will be able to get close or at least something decent by using S-05 instead?

I've got itchy fingers, something has to happen tomorrow.
Thanks in advance

Yes, absolutely!

I do this all the time for my house pils. I usually use Saaz or Hallertauer only because that's what I can get easily or have on hand.

Worst case, if you don't like it just put it on some fruit in secondary and it'll also work well as a fruit beer base. I have my Raspberry Tart Pils on tap right now that is very tasty.

Awesome!

Do you usually do the usual 2/3week primary, 2 week secondary.

Do you dry hop at all?

What kind ofTemp are you fermenting at. I usually ferment my ale at 22c but I was maybe thinking of trying out the cellar at 18c with the s-05 to see if it makes any difference.

Fruit beer could be another first. Maybe I'll split the batch going into secondary. Any tips with that. Does it have to be dried fruit?

With this particular combination and usually a bit smaller grain bill I can go grain to glass in 10 days with a very fine tasting beer at the end of it all. If it's in the pipeline it will sometimes sit two weeks or so at most and then secondary for cold crashing and kegged right after that.

I have not dry hopped this one at all but that could work, too. I usually dry hop my pale ales and IPAs but not this one. Maybe next batch. ;)

My cellar temp is a fairly constant 15-18ºC. I would recommend lower temps are better for the US-05.

I use fresh raspberries that have been pureed and heated to 180ºF for pasteurization. Add that to secondary and rack on top of it and let it sit for a week. At the end of the week bottle or keg and you've got yourself a nice raspberry pils.

Cheers

Ah hops beautiful hops!

Yeah I'm the same with the ales and IPAs. I've got a hop monster churning away in the fermenter.
When all is said and done i'll have 400 gr of hops crammed into 16 litres of beer. A bit extreme I know, but nothing ventured , nothing gained!
Smelled amazing and had a good bitterness going into secondary.

So I must say , you've totally inspired me. Im gonna give this a bash tomorrow with us-05 and ferment at 18c in my cellar. Going into secondary I think I'll spilt the batch 3 ways.
1. Just straight up secondary
2. Dry hop
3. Test your raspberry or possibly cherry technique.

I'll let you know how it goes

Slainte!

Oh yeah forgot to ask , how much raspberries should I use to say 5 litres of beer?

This is well exciting, can't wait to fire up the stove!

Brewed it this morning, looked really blond when I took the OG reading so I'm quiet happy about that.

Turned out a bit higher than I expected at 1.062 at 22celscius , was looking for about 1.050 going down to 1.010 with this yeast but decided to leave it an see what happens.

Could be great or average.
Another Learning curve and no matter what, I'm sure it'll get put to good use. ;)
I must admit it feels strange not to be dry hopping !

Ended up doing 50grams northern for bittering at 60 mins and 100 grams saaz 30 mins down.

Looking forward to see how it looks, smells and tastes in 2 weeks.

Cheers

Went into secondary yesterday with an test OG of 1.010. That US 05 is a workhorse!
Tasted ok but I could detect the alcohol quite easily, felt almost like drinking a weak vodka.

I had another beer turn out like this though and it mellowed out nicely for the hops to shine. Let's hope does the same.

I took 5 litres and dumped it on 0.5litres of mixed berry purée just to satisfy my curiosity.
Looking forward to see how it turns out.

So far though I'm thinking more hops and a lower OG next time.
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Ideally I'll have a fridge and can try a batch with lager yeast too

Back