Pilsner, fermentation under pressure, temp and pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonie Hill

Reaction score
Hi to all of you out there,

It’s time to try to make a pilsner. I plan to ferment under pressure with an 30l All Rounder from Kegland.

My local brew shop has one type of lager/pilsner yeast and that is M76.

Mangrove Jacks’s recommend to ferment at a temp between 8-14 degrees C. (45-57 degrees F.).

My plan is to ferment at 10psi and 18 degrees C. (64 degrees F.) and for one week only before ragging the beer to a keg.

I would appreciate any guidance i can get. Will this yeast work for what i intend to do or am i better of looking for an alternative yeast?

best regards
Erik

You say yourself that fermentation is at 45-57F. That’s what makes lagers a lager. 64 is too warm. It’ll be beer but it won’t be a clean tasting lager.

You say yourself that fermentation is at 45-57F. That’s what makes lagers a lager. 64 is too warm. It’ll be beer but it won’t be a clean tasting lager.

Not necessarily. Fermenting under pressure at room temperature will suppress ester production and can yield a very clean tasting lager. I use White Labs WLP925 yeast with this method, though many lager yeast strains can be used.

Don't believe that's necessarily true when fermenting under pressure. Lager yeasts when fermented under pressure (5~10 psi) supposedly prevent off-flavors from developing, especially at higher temperatures. From what little I've read (and never tried) it can greatly reduce not only the time spent in fermentation but also in conditioning (lagering). Apparently it's a technique used by the macro brewers to speed up output at the brewery.

I'd forgotten that I'd replied to this. I guess I didn't know. If you ask me though, fermenting at the cooler temps is easier than establishing the pressure in the first place, but if you've already got the equipment have at it. Can this be done in a corny? And do you apply CO2 to get the pressure?

So, what is a good pressure for lager (pilsner) fermenting? By itself the keg will easily go to 1.5 bar (hooked up to an empty second keg; both 5 gallon). So far I have twice bled it down to 0.5 bar. 1 bar = 14.5 psi or such.

So, what is a good pressure for lager (pilsner) fermenting? By itself the keg will easily go to 1.5 bar (hooked up to an empty second keg; both 5 gallon). So far I have twice bled it down to 0.5 bar. 1 bar = 14.5 psi or such.
I’m currently fermenting with fermolager w yeast (Pilsner yeast) at 20 psi. It’s been 8 days and still fermenting, OG was 1.044. I took samples, no off flavors and beer tastes good. I’ll put in fridge tonight I hope. I’m fermenting at rather extreme temperature of 33c. Going well, fermenting in fermzilla.

Thank you both! Abhishek, that's quite the temperature! I guess I'll bleed down to 1 bar then. The keg is at 16C or 61F, with Saflager W-34/70 yeast (2nd generation; first time used in Feb.2020; specs are 12-15C for this yeast). One of the pressure adjustments pushed some foam/Krausen into the gas line. I was more careful with the last one.

Yes when you bleed off pressure you have to go slow. I use my spunding valve when I transfer too. I set my regulator to 17 psi or so and and the spunding valve stays at 15. It takes a bit of time, but I don’t get a keg full of foam like I did the first time I used the PRV to bleed off the pressure.

Thank you both! Abhishek, that's quite the temperature! I guess I'll bleed down to 1 bar then. The keg is at 16C or 61F, with Saflager W-34/70 yeast (2nd generation; first time used in Feb.2020; specs are 12-15C for this yeast). One of the pressure adjustments pushed some foam/Krausen into the gas line. I was more careful with the last one.
I was initially thinking pressure might push Krausen lower. I had beautiful Krausen and it lasted 4 days. The yeast I’m using is German and W34 is similar as I was told and found on the net as well. Both perform well under pressure. Other advantages of pressure fermentation are compact yeast cake, hops aroma is retained so I actually used an oz less of hops. I saved some wort and am fermenting at lower temperature and will see if there’s perceivable difference.

Not necessarily. Fermenting under pressure at room temperature will suppress ester production and can yield a very clean tasting lager. I use White Labs WLP925 yeast with this method, though many lager yeast strains can be used.

I have also heard that fermenting under pressure at room temperature can yield clean tasting lager.

Question about WLP925. I have one old keg in storage and I'm planning to try fermenting lager under pressure at room temperature in that keg. Haven't tried keg fermenting before and WLP925 is also yeast that I haven't used before. Any advice what should be taken into consideration while using WLP925 & keg fermenting?

Hi to all of you out there,

It’s time to try to make a pilsner. I plan to ferment under pressure with an 30l All Rounder from Kegland.

My local brew shop has one type of lager/pilsner yeast and that is M76.

Mangrove Jacks’s recommend to ferment at a temp between 8-14 degrees C. (45-57 degrees F.).

My plan is to ferment at 10psi and 18 degrees C. (64 degrees F.) and for one week only before ragging the beer to a keg.

I would appreciate any guidance i can get. Will this yeast work for what i intend to do or am i better of looking for an alternative yeast?

best regards
Erik
It's been a while, but how did this turn out? I am currently running my first pressure ferment at both 10psi and 64° as well. Wonder how long it took to complete fermentation and how yours came out?

I bet his beer turned out well. When I ferment under pressure, I usually use this calculator and ferment at the room temperature of my basement (usually 60-65 degrees). I set the pressure with my spunding valve to the pressure from this calculator based on my desired final carbonation level up to my top limit of 20 psi or so. There are definitely people though that are fermenting at pressures over 20 psi if their fermenter allows it and brewing lagers in amazingly short times.

https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/

Well, for me it's been 3 full days since I pitched yeast and at this point it appears the majority of fermentation is over. I wanted to take a sample, but for some reason my floating dip tube setup is not working as it should so I am getting nothing. I will have to open the corny to get a gravity reading, but I'm thinking to wait another couple of days. Trying to limit any air contact, ya know?

What would be the point of taking a gravity reading after only 3 days of lager yeast fermentation? Fermentation under pressure takes more time, not less. If anything, the warmer temperature and the pressure cancel each other out in terms of time reduction.

Also, how would you know that the majority of fermentation is over if you can't see the beer or grab a sample?

I'm thinking quick fermentation based on various videos/articles/etc. where some people are fermenting lagers under pressure and are drinking it within 2 weeks of brewing. I am, in fact, trying to ascertain what the truth is regarding this.
As far as fermentation being over, well, that just the eye test. I have the gas out going to a bottle of water. There was vigorous bubbling going on and now nothing.

On a commercial scale, what kind of pressure is placed on the fermenting yeast in those large tanks? Is this a similar procedure scaled down for home brewers?
Starting with 0.5 bar at the beginning and ending with about 3 bar to get fully carbonated beer at 18-20°C. Yeast is also pitched colder and temperature rises throughout fermentation.

What would be the point of taking a gravity reading after only 3 days of lager yeast fermentation? Fermentation under pressure takes more time, not less. If anything, the warmer temperature and the pressure cancel each other out in terms of time reduction.

Also, how would you know that the majority of fermentation is over if you can't see the beer or grab a sample?
Where are you getting your information? The higher the temp, the faster the fermentation. The reason we don't ferment at high temps are the off tastes that the yeast give when you do. If you are fermenting a lager with lager yeast at let's say 30c and 22psi it will most defenitly be done in under 5 days. The cold crash and then drink. This is why kveik works as it does. You can ferment it high without pressure and it'll still turn out awesome in very little time.

I have been fermenting everything I make under pressure. I've mostly been using Voss ad Horningdal Kveik, but I've also used US-05, s04, and others. I even made several wine kits in under a week using high temps and high pressure. They all come out sooo clean. Only thing I would make in normal buckets now are Belgian beers, or something that needs the yeast flavor.

The higher the temp, the faster the fermentation. The more pressure, the slower the fermentation. Mix the two together and it's essentially equivalent to a standard cool, un-pressurized fermentation. Simple point.

The higher the temp, the faster the fermentation. The more pressure, the slower the fermentation. Mix the two together and it's essentially equivalent to a standard cool, un-pressurized fermentation. Simple point.

What, exactly, has been the experience of people pressure fermenting here?
The most authoritative thing I've seen is the podcast with White and blichmann where they say they were serving pressure fermented bier in two weeks. This seem to point to a pretty short lager fermentation time.

The most authoritative thing I've seen is the podcast with White and blichmann where they say they were serving pressure fermented bier in two weeks. This seem to point to a pretty short lager fermentation time.

For a starting gravity of around 1.060 at 65 or 70 degrees and 15 psi, I would say from personal experience a week should be sufficient for fermentation.
I still do all my lagers at room temp under 15 PSI. I give them a week in primary, then a week in the keg on CO2 at serving pressure. They always come out nice and clean. I'm not saying they come out better than a traditional fermentation, just that I cant tell the difference, and it saves on my electric bill.

I did an Asahi clone 15psi with opshaug kveik at 35degrees ( celsius ) for five days and then cold crashed, after a week it was clear no off flavours or esters and have been drinking it now for over a month. I also did a Cream stout clone with the same yeast and similar schedule and again tastes great. If the fermenter tolerates higher pressure then adjust spunding valve after 2 days to 25psi and let the yeast clean up and build this last bit of pressure before crashing. Both are better for a few weeks in the fridge than at first tasting.
Maybe I could have crashed sooner but I wasn't able to get access to the crashing freezer as it was blocked by another brew.
I have pressure fermented an NZ pilsner at lower temperatures using white labs High pressure lager yeast ( 20 C raising to 22 after 3 days) for a competition and that was 2 weeks mash to bottle and a week in bottle before judging ( not sure of cold chain after it left the house) . Came third so was pleased.
I would say that I found the High pressure lager yeast very difficult to clear had to as well as cold crash use gelatin and then Super F finings. I didn't have this issue with the kveik yeast or a Marzen ( using saflager yeast that I started warm at 20C under pressure and then left in 10c for 4 months).

My first time doing this was with S-23. I pushed the pressure up to 15psi with bottle gas at pitch time and fermented at 68, and it looked done in well under a week and I was drinking it in under 3 weeks as I recall.

I just did another batch, this time with 34/70 and let the pressure free rise to 15 psi. 68 degrees. Took 24 hours to naturally hit the pressure (and that is with lots of headspace). Fermentation looked visibly done in about 4 days. It's now been 9 days, if my kegerator wasn't full already it would be in there finishing carbing now.

So far so good for me.

I have also heard that fermenting under pressure at room temperature can yield clean tasting lager.

Question about WLP925. I have one old keg in storage and I'm planning to try fermenting lager under pressure at room temperature in that keg. Haven't tried keg fermenting before and WLP925 is also yeast that I haven't used before. Any advice what should be taken into consideration while using WLP925 & keg fermenting?

I forgot about this thread for several months, but I've been using the same WLP925 (overbuild & harvest from my starters), and have been having continued success with it. I brew 4.25 gallon batches so I can ferment in either corny kegs or cheap 5 gallon FG buckets, so the batch size works out well for keg fermenting. I typically ferment around 62-65F in the corny keg, initially pressurized to around 14psi as soon as it's in the keg. This may not be necessary, as I've heard of other people just letting fermentation build up the pressure until their spunding valve starting venting off the excess around 14-15psi.

I let it ferment for one week at 62-65F (basement temperature for me), and I've always reached my final gravity after one week. Fermentation is most active 2-4 days after pitching; by day 6 there's no longer any excess pressure above 15psi being vented by my spunding valve. Then I move the keg to the keezer (~36F) for about 5 days (White Labs says "lager 3-5 days at 35F). Then I either serve right from the fermenter keg with a floating dip tube, or if I plan on transporting the keg I'll transfer it to a clean serving keg right inside the keezer (less lifting of full kegs).

In all the beers I've done this way, I've had a clean, clean beer into the glass at 14-15 days from brewing. I haven't tried fermenting under pressure with any other yeasts, but I may try some WLP820 under pressure for my next Octoberfest and compare the results to WLP925. My use of WLP925 started when I needed to come up with a keg of Octoberfest (which I called OctoberFast) in less than 3 weeks, and I've been using it since then mostly for Octoberfests and light lagers.

I could cold ferment (non pressurized) a lager and force carb it in two weeks. But I don't.

crazyjake19 Thanks for your reply. Since my last post to this thread I have done one lager, two pils and one california common. Sounds that we have very similar techniques. I also overbuild & harvest from my starters and I've used 5gal kegs with spunding valve. The fermentation temp has also been between 62-65F but for some reason for me it takes at least 7 days to hit the FG. The rest of the process is similar. I have "lagered" the brew for 3-5 days and either served the beer straight from the fermenter keg or transferred the beer to the serving keg. WLP925 is a great yeast and very easy to work with. Clean lager/pils in no time

Not much information on the whitelabs site regarding the flavor of WLP925, could someone comment if the flavor profile is like some other well know yeast.

I recently did a cheater version of a Pilsner with lutra yeast it came out crisp and super clear. Unfortunately I strayed from traditional hops and used motuka hoping to get a line flavor and really didn’t like it.

Attachments

• DAAF510A-463B-4D18-A874-876A94C2BF81.jpeg
    DAAF510A-463B-4D18-A874-876A94C2BF81.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80

If you transfer to another keg it should be great. Otherwise you will keep the trub? The fermzilla all rounder is inexpensive and works great. I made a yuengling for my nephew when he visited and absolutely loved it. Said it was better than the store beer.

Latest posts

Back