"Pilsner" Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muchacho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on making a Pilsner, but fermenting with Pacman next week and am seeking some insight. I guess it could also be considered a Pilsner / Saaz SMASH. So, here is the plan

100% Pilsner
1.25 oz Saaz @60
1 oz Saaz @ 30, 10, and whirlpool

Mash 150 x 60 min

OG ~ 1.050
IBU ~ 42

~ 225 bil pacmen @ 60-64 ambient

I will cut my water in 1/2 with RO water and add a little gypsum.

Whatcha think?

Thanks!

Well I finally got around to making this and called it "Better suited to a simpler life".

10# German Pilsner
1.25 oz Saaz (Czech) @60
1 oz Saaz @ 30, 10, and whirlpool

Mashed 151 -> 149 x 70 min
Pilsner water profile

Split batch fermented with Pacman (WY#1764) @ 65 and Ardennes (WY#3522) @ 69

OG 1.057 -> FG 1.010 (for both yeasts)

The batch with Ardennes is awesome- very crisp, great Saaz character, and totally swillable. Brilliant clarity with a frothy white head, only 3 weeks after brewing.

The batch with Pacman is interesting. The extra liter that I quick carbed was great- tasted like a crisp Pilsner with great Saaz character. However the keg is sweeter, and the hop presence seems muted. I dont really understand how the quick carbed liter can be that different from the remainder of the keg. I am also surprised that pacman seemed to mute the Saaz, rather than accentuate it.

Has anyone ever seen this with pacman before? I plan to let it lager for a while to see if that improves it. Hopefully SWMBO will not polish off the Ardennes so that I can compare the two in a few weeks. She is ripping though it!

Back