Pilsner (2-Row)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
Probably a very easy question for lot of people here.

In many recipe we can see 2-Row malt, Pilsner malt and Pilsner (2-Row)

What should we use when the recipe ask for Pilsner (2-Row) ?

As for an exemple, this.

This is under Pilsner Malt, but at the same time, the name is Belgian 2-Row.

I'm confused. In my mind 2-Row is something, Pilsner is something else but what the heck is Pilser(2-Row) ?

There are several varieties of pilsner malt. Weyermann makes one (actually, two, I think), Castle makes one (and Castle is in Belgium).

That wiki entry is weird, as it doesn't call it "pilsner malt". Any pilsner malt will say "Pilsner malt" right on it.

There are several varieties of pilsner malt. Weyermann makes one (actually, two, I think), Castle makes one (and Castle is in Belgium).

That wiki entry is weird, as it doesn't call it "pilsner malt". Any pilsner malt will say "Pilsner malt" right on it.

Thanks Yooper,

But I'm still tying to figure out what's the difference between Pilsner and Pilsner (2-Row).

I just take a look at NorthernBrewer and there's some Pilsner malt and some 2-Row...But in many recipe it uses Pilsner (2-Row). Like this one.

Should I just have to read it as "German Pilsner" and forget the "2-Row" thing ? For me, 2-Row is NOT Pilsner.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow on this one.

well i cant help in the difference.. except that they are all Pilsen Malt 2 row and not 6 row. UK, German and Belgian all will give you different flavor profiles. i would use Dingemans 2-row for a Belgian. but thats just me.. i hear german and UK can make good Belgians as well.

If I understand correctly 2-row refers more to the species of barley, as distinct from 6-row for example. It sounds like pilsner malt can be made from either 2-row or 6-row but is usually 2-row (per Palmer). I think the confusion is when most people list "2-row" otherwise unspecified in a recipe they are really referring to pale malt. Both malts are made from 2-row barley but pale is kilned at higher temps.

yeah that is the way I see it. 2-row means "not 6-row" and if it doesn't say pilsner then pale malt is implied.

Back