PID question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhk

Reaction score
I have ordered a cheap PID to control my mash temps but will be using the same kettle with 3500 watt element to boil. My question is how to control the boil. Will I need an additional voltage controller to reduce the power to the heating element to control boiling?
Thanks in advance!

It depends on the PID - if the cheap PID you've bought has a manual mode, you've got it made!

What did you buy?

I didnt see a manual mode in the instructions but I quickly perused them.

It needs a 220V power supply - no biggie as long as your planning on having a 220V panel.

It's K type thermocouple only 0-400C - again that will work

Reads in Celsius

Voltage Pulse on OUT1 (The ad says relay output - but that doesnt make sense.)

Has a Deviation Alarm on ALM1 and no ALM2

I think I may go ahead and order an Auber unit as there is lots of good info on the forum about how to set it up. Write the $18 off and use the thermocouple and SSR from the $18 unit.
Any preference on which Auber unit? The 2362 is the cheapest at $43.
If I enclose this in a cabinet, does it need ventilation?

I think I may go ahead and order an Auber unit as there is lots of good info on the forum about how to set it up. Write the $18 off and use the thermocouple and SSR from the $18 unit.
Any preference on which Auber unit? The 2362 is the cheapest at $43.
If I enclose this in a cabinet, does it need ventilation?

I believe the 2352 is the one you want.

i have 3 rec x-100 controlling 3 keggles with k type probes

they're cheap and require no modifications
they do operate on 220v but could control any element as the elements live feed is straight of the mains then the negative is wired to the ssr which acts like a switch to form a circuit between the mains going into the element and the ground which is switched on and off through the pid at conection 1 and 2 on the ssr. the pid needs 220V but sends 3-32v DC to the ssr so it does not matter to the element. you might need a different ssr so as to have the right voltage at position 1 and 2 but usually it 24-230vAC

i would suggest at the pid to press set for longer the 5 sec then set temp press set again and when you get to aul which is the second option, put in 1 so it auto tunes
you done
any wire-ing issues or questions pm me

Back