Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate this thread. :(

Me too. (and I created it). I thinned mine out last night, but it's Mid-July in a state known for it's hops and I've only got 5' feet of bine. It's probably the fact that they are first year, but I'm still jealous of some of those pics.

One of my secondary bines did just go past the original longest bine, so maybe that is good for something.

Picked a few this week:

DSCN3558.JPG

DSCN3554.JPG

DSCN3563.JPG

DSCN3572.JPG

Me too. (and I created it). I thinned mine out last night, but it's Mid-July in a state known for it's hops and I've only got 5' feet of bine. It's probably the fact that they are first year, but I'm still jealous of some of those pics.

One of my secondary bines did just go past the original longest bine, so maybe that is good for something.

My longest bine is about 4 foot so I feel you. I thought it was just me! I am going to chaulk it up as 1st year struggles also and hope next season they take off better. I built all this free standing crap to support them to, its still bare and my neighbors are chuckling.

My longest bine is about 4 foot so I feel you. I thought it was just me! I am going to chaulk it up as 1st year struggles also and hope next season they take off better. I built all this free standing crap to support them to, its still bare and my neighbors are chuckling.

Mine is short and bushy (The hops, I mean) I limited myself to doing it against a fence (The hops, I mean) I have had to train them horizontally to a large degree, so they look even less impressive.

They are first year too, but at the end of this year I plan to move them to what I think should be a better location. I WILL NOT be beat by these buggers! :)

Methinks these guys are just about ready to harvest!
I bought these are Centennials, but by the hop cone shape, they look more like Chinooks? Anyone help me out here?
DSCF0357.JPG

DSCF0359.JPG

Cascades:
DSCF0360.JPG

Methinks these guys are just about ready to harvest!
I bought these are Centennials, but by the hop cone shape, they look more like Chinooks? Anyone help me

I'm going with what the seller told you. That and the reddish color of the bines. I have four varieties growing this year, and the centennial has worried me the entire time because of reddish color of the bines. I feel better now!!

Originally posted this in the 1st year thread but thought I'd add it to this monster...

Ok folks, finally got around to taking some pics. Today was the day I started harvesting hops on my cascade(s). The following pictures are from 3 "1st year" cascade plants spaced apart by about 2 feet around an 8ft tall pole with a U-shaped piece of metal at the top to allow for more top growth. These are "1st year" because they were actually very small plants taken from my dad's friend. They were 6" sections of bine with a bit of root on them so not like the rhizomes you get from an online store. Without further ado, here's the shots:

Picture of the cascade setup *AFTER* the first harvest. Please note for those not sure they have the space this was done in a triangle of land about 1/2 the size of an office cubicle. So you really don't need much space, just a fertile soil, and ample sun and water. You're looking at my neighbor's car and driveway in the background...yeah they weren't thrilled when I told them what I was doing. :D

hop2.jpg

Here's a closeup shot looking up near the top where the U-shaped piece of tubing is installed. I think this turned out to be a really good idea for those of us that have to use the teepee setup. It allows for a lot more space at the top where the majority of the hops are produced.

hop3.jpg

And here is the first harvest.

hop1.jpg

I've been really confused as the proper time to harvest, and the hops are in many different stages of maturity, even on the same plant. Notice in the foreground the brown edges of the leaves. I was told this is a good indication they are ready for picking. And I can already see the next batch of flowers starting so it will be a daily picking event for the foreseeable future (since the pole is only 8' high I have a small ladder that I use to pluck them right off the bine without damaging the plant). I used an old school Jansport backpack, wore it backwards so it was in front of me, and put a bag inside. This way I could use both hands to pick and not have to worry about pulling a bine hard to get the cone off (probably another indication some of the hops are still not ready to harvest).

Just over 8' now, they have been growing like crazy the last couple of weeks.

IMGP1748.jpg

I have baby cones (need to take a better picture)
IMGP1749.jpg

These are first year Cascades growing behind my condo. Had a quick hailstorm come thru a while ago. Knocked a few cones off and quite a bit of leaves are down, but looks like they made thru all right.

casc002.jpg

finally downloaded/uploaded some pics of my hopyard. Taken just before harvesting. Better late than never.

Here she is, my first year hopyard...

hopyard2.jpg

hopyard.jpg

hopyard3.jpg

Only one who didn't fair well was the goldings. Barely clung to life and produced nada.

SO heres my question regarding hops growing...I have plety of room to grow hopsI can use planters on the deck and have them run up the pergolas. I can have them run along the deck, fence, shed...etc. My question is this. Our landscaping is very mature (see pics) and there are significant root systems already established. What you see behind the deck is green space and a creek. Are hops going to have a hard time competing for root space? Once I plant a rhizome in the ground is it permanant meaning can I move it if it didnt do good in that spot?

Heres my back yard: Some of it...I really cant track down very good pics

cameradump041rv9.jpg

cameradump039eq0.jpg

SO heres my question regarding hops growing...I have plety of room to grow hopsI can use planters on the deck and have them run up the pergolas. I can have them run along the deck, fence, shed...etc. My question is this. Our landscaping is very mature (see pics) and there are significant root systems already established. What you see behind the deck is green space and a creek. Are hops going to have a hard time competing for root space? Once I plant a rhizome in the ground is it permanant meaning can I move it if it didnt do good in that spot?

I think the hops will do just fine. I got a ton of hops from a guy growing them off his balcony and railings and he had all sorts of other stuff growing around them as well. You can dig up rhizomes no problem and transplant or even take off cuttings to give away.

As long as they can get enough sunlight and the soil isn't too wet you'll have nothing to worry about. The root system of these buggers is incredible and can establish in even heavily planted areas. One of my 1st year Nugget's last year (it has since died due to a drought when I was on vacation) was growing well on top of a ground stump of a tree that was ~80ft tall. So yeah, it will be fine. ;)

And yes, you can transplant several different ways. Obviously the rhizome is the best method, but my 4 cascade plants came from bine trimmings that only had a small amount of roots on them. A bit difficult to wean them back to health since they were 90% bine/leaf (I lost 1 out of 5), but they are now 2nd year beasts (topping out over 14' at the moment and since my support doesn't go higher, have begun to braid themselves into a thick bine that is trying to go straight up in the air!

Resurrecting this 4 yr old thread. Just looked through all 39 pages. Being that this is mine and many others first year growing, Its pretty cool to see some familiar faces when they started out and see the pic progressions through the season from shoots to harvest.

I've got 8 plants, 6 varietys. My best is one of the cascades at over 26". Whats everyone else's look like?
8906f375.jpg
288e3744.jpg

This is my first year growing. Mine aren't doing so great. Started them inside and the were growing about 6-10 inches a day. Transplanted them on Tuesday. Sadly did some damage to roots and bines. Pretty upset about that. Hoping they bounce back.

Hey HoppyDaze , nice pics , i really like your backyard , the way you planted it is amazing. Good job. hey 2BeerSpeer still waiting for your pics...

cameradump041rv9.jpg

cameradump039eq0.jpg

Nice yard. I have had some hops growing next to my pond and moved them by digging the crown in mid summer, they looked like crap for the rest of that year but did great the next. Also they are like bamboo you never get it all. I still get bines in the original spot, I know this is taboo but I just mow them to keep them in check or they cause havoc with the electric fence for the sheep.

I had planned on a deck being built last year and planted these to allow for it. Each plant is 4' off a post and will have 15 ft to climb. Hopefully that's enough

1397726950065.jpg

It's obvious how much better they do going straight up. The 1st plant is brewers gold and was the smallest plant for a while. They will all look like it in a month when the deck is done!

Back