Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to water every day and had a fungus or mildew problem. since then I switched to every other day (with a soaker hose). they're doing great. I'm in south Ga and the heat and humidity is worse then the Atlanta area. I still have the 16 I started with and the 4 cascade have been flowering for a month. try cutting the watering back to every other day.

Well. I think I'll get some plants going. Sometimes it can be pretty hot here. It's generally 70-100 clear until late fall. I'm pretty stoked about this. I'm going to grow them in buckets so that next year when I won't be in this dump apartment, but another one, I can maybe grow them at my own house. So, anyone know of any good shopping and reading?

Can you post a pic of your setup? Get a 55 gallon rubbermaid container (trash can) and pop a couple tiny holes in the bottom (I mean TINY). Fill it with water and that should give you a trickle similar to a soaker hose. Are you sure you aren't overwatering? Peat moss has an incredible ability to retain water and so it's possible the surface and even 2" down is dry but the root zone has adequate moisture. Once the hops are growing well for a month or so the roots should be pretty nice and so I don't know if watering every day is the best thing to do.

I'm currently on an every other day watering schedule, and will shortly be switching to every 3 days. I'd rather slightly underwater than overwater, same goes for fertilizing. I actually made up a dilute solution of CSM+B since I was seeing some iron/trace deficiency! :)

Ill post some pictures tonite. I dont think i am overwatering, i have poked down in other areas around the hops and it was bone dry. We have been having 95 degree days and no rain. It is tough to keep everything wet all day long.

Mine are not in full sun all day. and the setup I have the leaves shade the raised bed, that must limit evaporation.
Hopgarden2008_040.jpg

Hopgarden2008_035.jpg

Hopgarden2008_034.jpg

thanks, I wanted the leaves to be on top and the cones to fall down. For the most part that happened. I'm happy I have cones in the first year and so early but I don't see enough luplin and they don't have a hop smell yet.

It is a little late in the season to be planting. they are out there, but will take some digging.

Started seeing some Cascade cones about a month ago. First year plants, too. so far just the cascade.

Carl, how did you go about training the bines? It looks too good to be random (just letting them do their thing) and you have a TON of hops. Did you spend an hour a day training them? You can be honest with us! :D I was outside in the dark last night just staring at my plant for no good reason....

Looks FANTASTIC!

Carl, how did you go about training the bines? It looks too good to be random (just letting them do their thing) and you have a TON of hops. Did you spend an hour a day training them? You can be honest with us! :D I was outside in the dark last night just staring at my plant for no good reason....

Looks FANTASTIC!

I have been staring at my little guys also. However they seemed to of gave up growing. Only the one has a touch of yellow, but they all got to about 6 inches and just froze. ;)

I have (2) cascade bines that are about 4' tall and growing rapidly. I have (3) Mt Hood bines that are up to 6' tall and growing side arms. I have (2) Willamette that I just trained about 2 weeks ago and snipped off a couple weaker sprouts, that are about 2' tall and climbing. These are all first year plants, but they look REALLY nice with my wifes Asiatic Lillies (red/orange) planted among them around the screened porch out back. Not expecting much, if anything, out of them this year, but they are great landscape plants for now.

Looks FANTASTIC!

Thanks, I have been spending more time on the hop garden then actual brewing. but that includes building the beds and trellis'. when the first bines shot out I trained them in and out of the horizontal twine. when they made it to the top, I trained them up and over the wood slates. as soon as the side shoots started I did the same. well needless to say they've gone crazy, so I do what I can now. I didn't let them twist together in the beginning, now i'm pretty much letting them do what they want. yeah, I spend an hour a day. sometimes more if I miss a day. but I'm out there with the tomato and pepper plants too. I've been having alot of insect and disease problems so that's been taking time to deal with also. so, total its probably 1-3 hours a day, but I enjoy it so it's all good. we'll see how things go, I wonder if my cones will flower over a longer period of time or just finish early.

I have been staring at my little guys also. However they seemed to of gave up growing. Only the one has a touch of yellow, but they all got to about 6 inches and just froze. ;)

Do you have them trained yet? I found that the hop plant (at least 1st year) seems to send up "scouting" shoots. if the bine doesn't contact anything it just stops growing. Makes sense really; why waste what little energy you have if you don't have a support. So I took several small sticks and put them in the ground around the little shoots. Then I gently wrapped the bines around them clockwise. Within a day or two the trained shoots started ROCKETING upwards. The other bines did nothing.

HTH

wow, everyone seems to have thier babies doing great for thier location!

Yesterday I did some pruning of the lower leaves on some of my 6'+ tall ones, and today I want to go measure them from the last time....part of my mini-journal.

Do the bines get prickly before they start to flower? Some of mine are prickly already, including my 3 year olds

wow, everyone seems to have thier babies doing great for thier location!

Yesterday I did some pruning of the lower leaves on some of my 6'+ tall ones, and today I want to go measure them from the last time....part of my mini-journal.

Do the bines get prickly before they start to flower? Some of mine are prickly already, including my 3 year olds

At what point should we start pruning 1st year plants? I have a couple bines taller than me now and thought unless they looked diseased to keep them on there for at least another month or two to help feed the roots?

Do you have them trained yet? I found that the hop plant (at least 1st year) seems to send up "scouting" shoots. if the bine doesn't contact anything it just stops growing. Makes sense really; why waste what little energy you have if you don't have a support. So I took several small sticks and put them in the ground around the little shoots. Then I gently wrapped the bines around them clockwise. Within a day or two the trained shoots started ROCKETING upwards. The other bines did nothing.

HTH

Well one isnt even high enough to train. (Centennial) It grew in a touch but stopped at around 1" high. The middle one I did get to train to the rope but it doesn't seem to be growing. And the third one is tall enough to train, but just out of reach of the rope. So I will take your advice and use a stick to help it out!

Well one isnt even high enough to train. (Centennial) It grew in a touch but stopped at around 1" high. The middle one I did get to train to the rope but it doesn't seem to be growing. And the third one is tall enough to train, but just out of reach of the rope. So I will take your advice and use a stick to help it out!

Make sure you post back if the stick helps. And you could use a toothpick for the other one. :cross:

Fuggle - One is about chest high..the other...just starting to get trained.
IMG_0107s.JPG

Cascade1 - After getting pinched, it is recovering nicely. The sidearms are just getting to be able to be trained.
IMG_0106s.JPG

Cascade2 - Lots of small sidearms and bines. Might snip a couple to promote growth in the main one.
IMG_0105s.JPG

Centennial - Was slow to start...but now has shot up. Second rhizome is still MIA.
IMG_0104s.JPG

-JMW

Well hopefully you won't have to worry about hop-specific diseases then! You must have to irrigate like crazy out there.

This one is Nugget

IMG_0571.JPG

This one is Cascade

IMG_0572.JPG

I need to make some sort of a system this weekend they are growing quick. Currently what they can grow on is only about 6 ft tall.

WOW! I am jealous... mine ain't looking so good guys. I need to post some pics to figure out wtf I'm doing wrong.

WOW! I am jealous... mine ain't looking so good guys. I need to post some pics to figure out wtf I'm doing wrong.

I'm in the same boat. Mine are stuck, they have not grown any the past week. I did notice some mushrooms popping up... I guess my problem might be to much water. But thats not my fault as it wont stop freaking raining! :mad:

Mine are growing like a MOFO.

Hop_pole-Ext_007.jpg

The bines are really fat!!

2008_hops_III_003.jpg

This shot was about 10' off the ground.

I can't believe mine are already starting to flower!!! :rockin:

They also need to be pruned. The bottom of the tomato cage is completely covered w/ new growth. I was away one week and base is all over grown.

FYI -The top pick was from last weeks pole raising.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66327&page=2

Does anybody know if it's possible to "trick" the rhizomes into thinking that it's summer in the north by planting them in winter AZ? I remember my grandmother freezing flower bulbs through the summer to plant in the fall for this purpose and I wonder if it's possible with hops.

I'm not sure how you’re going to trick them, they have a completely different growth cycle and the flower bulbs are completely deciduous replacing both their roots and leaves each cycle.

With the hops you would have to cut back and dig up the rhizomes in the middle of their growth cycle destroying their established roots in order to store them in the freezer (I don't think they would survive freezing).

Second problem isn't that you won't get them to start growing in the Fall, if they survive, they will sprout and grow. But they will burn up all their stored energy establishing new roots.

And for the sake of this question, let’s say they did have established roots and had the potential to flower. It is daylight duration that initiates flowering, and you would be losing daylight as winter arrives so it is fairly unlikely that they would produce.

The reason it worked with your grandmothers flower bulbs was that the springtime annuals have about a 3 month growth cycle before they go dormant. They have a temperature trigger that tells them to start growing when temps rise. Since Fall is the equivalent of Spring in temperatures, your grandmother was able to trick the bulbs into another "Spring" bloom.

:mug:

I was thinking more of a refrigerater and a potted rhizome. Then again it's probablly not worth the effort, my brother lives in Portland and has offered to plant a few varieties for me

There is little or no evidence for hop vernalization, at least that's the opinion of the folks at the High AA program at OSU. Hops are driven entirely by the length of the day. So, you can trick them using grow lights.

Speaking of light. A couple of days of sunshine and:

img_1528.jpg

Front row: Fuggles, Perle, N.B. Cascade
Back: Nuggett, Willemette, Sunbeam, Mt. Hood

14 ft trellis, Mt. Hood, Perle & N.B. in second year. All others, third. The Fuggles & Cascade are about 9' tall, although the green on green makes it tough to see. The Sunbeam (yellow) was enjoying the cool cloudy weather & is in the process of toasting.

the cones are starting to form on two of my three hops (fuggle and perle the chinook need a little more time) with any luck I think the harvest might start mid to late july.

fuggle1gmj4.jpg

fuggle2gda0.jpg

theorhetically it would be possible to get a winter harvest in AZ. The harvest would not be as big, but you would have fresh hops.:D Many plants that depend on daylength can give a double harvest if properly managed. Grow lights, as mentioned, would also be a second way to get a harvest for those of you in the colder climates.

Back