PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I read too much into clearing the line and not enough into the WHY of clearing the line.
Thanks for "clearing" that up for me! :ban:

Pete

If you have plenty of CO2 handy, you can use that to move it instead of the slightly compressed air the Pico will send. I also like to purge my keg with CO2 before filling it with beer. Maybe that's just me.

Oxygen, carbonation and racking.

Is it that bad to expose your fermented beer to oxygen? if so, what is the best solution to ferment and rack 6 gal of beer? I had been using all those years a siphon to go from one vessel to another and an enolmatic to fill my bottles. I didn't see any issues. Today, I move the fermented beer to the clean keg using CO2 after purging it. IT works, but that only 1 batch at a time.

What are the best options for scaling to 4 batches at a time? The fermenter I was looking at, provides only a spigot to transfer the beer to kegs for carbonation. Is that exposure that bad? I see a pretty big benefit to using a fermenter instead of a keg, and feel like the benefit may outweigh the short exposure to air. Am i wrong?

Thanks for anyone and everyone's take on it.
That big bad oxygen boogie man! Don’t be afraid, seriously. A siphon is the most common way homebrewers move beer around. I love fermenting in a keg, but not because of the ability to push with co2, I use the Pico to rack more often than co2, non issue. Brulosophy did an experiment on racking vs just pouring it in with splashing. Interesting read if your really interested in the topic.

That big bad oxygen boogie man! Don’t be afraid, seriously. A siphon is the most common way homebrewers move beer around. I love fermenting in a keg, but not because of the ability to push with co2, I use the Pico to rack more often than co2, non issue. Brulosophy did an experiment on racking vs just pouring it in with splashing. Interesting read if your really interested in the topic.

Yeah, I'll look it up for when I get a chance to read. I just started pushing it with Co2, and have been because it was simple and had easy access to CO2 now that I got some tanks.But never noticed any off flavors either way.

Right now oxygen is not my issue, it's the wife who does not want to see fermenters in the basement. Another fight, another day. I may have to stick to kegs in the end. *sigh*

FYI for those of us who purchased the Z1. There may be an extra cost to upgrading to the Z2+.
Saloni (PicoBrew Inc.)
We haven't quite drilled down on the upgrade specifics and pricing for going from Z1 to Z2/3/4 but we will offer a path to do so. We will either provide a higher voltage option of Z1 or bring in your unit to make the updates necessary to upgrade your Z1 when you choose to scale up your Z.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Saloni

Leaning toward the Z2 just to avoid the hassle...

I have read that they will give you to the option to upgrade to a larger unit before they ship so that is an option. o_O

I asked that question in my reply along with a time frame on when they'll make the decision.

If they would take the S as a trade-in, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. I was going to follow Ewelady's suggestion and brew one batch in the S and one in the Z1. I don't really need 3 brewing vessels at this stage though.

On a separate note, has anyone heard if they'll offer brew unlimited again?

I have asked that that question in person at CES as well as by email, and Brew Unlimited does not appear to me as something they plan on doing it again. Some pre canned PR answer is provided each time. We never know, but with the Z launch, I doubt. Maybe if there's a future consumer product, who knows.

As for the Z.... the Z2 seems like a better choice if you plan on scaling. It does need a 240v plug, where the Z1 can be used immediately without changes.

Anyone seen the guy at Electric Brewery's basement with his separate brewhouse room? That's what I need with a Z4 or 2 of them. A beauty

What do you guys recommend to clean the Pico Serving Kegs. I was pretty lazy to clean it out after my first batch. I cleaned it per their instructions but I don't think its all the way clean. Getting all the water out is a PITA and I can still smell some of the old beer(not strong but its their)

Patience must be a wonderful thing. At least, thats what I hear a lot. Pity I don't seem to have any!
I just took a taste of the Dead Guy after the forced carbonation. Not bad. Not bad a'tall!
Getting ready to Rack the B52 Blonde next for natural carbonation.

What do you guys recommend to clean the Pico Serving Kegs. I was pretty lazy to clean it out after my first batch. I cleaned it per their instructions but I don't think its all the way clean. Getting all the water out is a PITA and I can still smell some of the old beer(not strong but its their)

PBW is what I use to clean everything brew related. A good soak will usually clean anything although fermenters often need a scrub also.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is one of the issues with the serving kegs. You really can’t get inside to “wash” it you can only rinse for the most part. Use some PBW or Oxy clean free to soak it in and then rinse like there is no tomorrow. Once it is rinsed thoroughly, shake all the water you can out, leave the dispenser valve open and turn the keg upside down and let it dry. That’s about as good as it will get.

The serving kegs are

Those kegs are a pain. Remember that the inside is sprayed with a lacker to protect corrosion from the beer. So be careful. Clean early, right after the keg kicked. I used and would recommend soaking with hot water and a solution. PBW works well, but will also thin the lacker. I would not recommend using the keg too many times. Stop using if you can see the lack disappeared in any spot.

Rinse often, and if you want, you can use those faucet bottle washer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055RSPKK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup PBW is a win/lose situation with those kegs. It’s your best bet to clean them since you can’t scrub them, but it will eat the electro-polish away quick and you won’t get many uses out of them. They are a disposable product anyway, the manufacturer claims they are good for 5 uses.

Just go ball lock kegs and you life will be so much better...
Kicking myself for getting 2 of the serving kegs with the co2 regulator instead of ball lock kegs. I’ve got my first brew in one and not looking forward to that cleaning process. Perhaps I should eBay the one unopened keg with the regulator. Welp that was a costly learning experience.

Hey All!

I'm new here and just posted my first thread about my curiosity on what peoples thoughts were on the PicoBrew Z and if it could be a good system for a newb like myself. I wanted to connect on this thread as well and see what other PicoBrew owners might think, Zymatic owners mostly since the Z seems to be most similar to that model. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the PicoBrew Z, if it's worth the price tag, and if it would work for a newbie brewer? Thanks in advance for your input! Really appreciated!

Here's a link to the PicoBrew Z for reference - https://www.picobrew.com/Store/Products/Z

The regulator can be converted to ball lock so not to pricey since the serving kegs are 14 bucks.
True true. Except I may have (oops) invested in more than 1 serving keg and those little co2 cartridges. But you’re right, I still can repurpose the regulator and use up my co2.

I wound up with three serving kegs and two brew kegs. And now, after less than two weeks use, my Pico S is down.
Wasted a Pico Pak. I have an e-mail into PicoBrew. Hope something happens quickly. :(

Hey All!

I'm new here and just posted my first thread about my curiosity on what peoples thoughts were on the PicoBrew Z and if it could be a good system for a newb like myself. I wanted to connect on this thread as well and see what other PicoBrew owners might think, Zymatic owners mostly since the Z seems to be most similar to that model. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the PicoBrew Z, if it's worth the price tag, and if it would work for a newbie brewer? Thanks in advance for your input! Really appreciated!

Here's a link to the PicoBrew Z for reference - https://www.picobrew.com/Store/Products/Z
There is a Z thread going already, post there please, let’s get this one back on track Pico only. Thanks.

Kicking myself for getting 2 of the serving kegs with the co2 regulator instead of ball lock kegs. I’ve got my first brew in one and not looking forward to that cleaning process. Perhaps I should eBay the one unopened keg with the regulator. Welp that was a costly learning experience.

Same here. I had been bottling all the time, and thought it was a novel idea. Until I tried using them. I wish I would have thought of visiting a site like this one before buying and of asking more questions about kegging. Now that I started, I can't understand why I have not tried years ago. Oh well. If you want to go to a party and prefer to leave this around, it will keep more than bottles. I used mines as throw aways.

True true. Except I may have (oops) invested in more than 1 serving keg and those little co2 cartridges. But you’re right, I still can repurpose the regulator and use up my co2.
And they go for some pretty penny. I converted mine to allow paintpall bottles and 16g-20g CO2 cartridges, and a hose to ball lock, for a total of less than $50 for all 3 of my reg. Along with a carbonation stone, I get a pico keg ready in a day, and a 3gal keg in 2 days.

Same here. I had been bottling all the time, and thought it was a novel idea. Until I tried using them. I wish I would have thought of visiting a site like this one before buying and of asking more questions about kegging. Now that I started, I can't understand why I have not tried years ago. Oh well. If you want to go to a party and prefer to leave this around, it will keep more than bottles. I used mines as throw aways.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I’m going to probably just give away my serving kegs when I gift a few brews just as you mentioned. I decided I’m going to save for a few small soda kegs for serving. I just have one 3 gallon keg and the rest are standard 5 gallons which I think is overkill unless I do back to back brew sessions. In the meantime I’ve purchased two 3 gallon buckets with spigots for ferementing to free up the C brew keg for multi batches.

And here I thought getting a Pico would be perfect for downsizing with just a batch at a time. But no. It’s brought back the brew monster from within. Now I want a 10 gallon kettle to do 3-5 gallon batches for indoors. So now I have a new challenge. Use the Pico for test batches and then upscale favored recipes to 3-5 gallons for traditional brewing. Oh, Pico ... now look at what you’ve done. Lol.

lol, I know the feeling. 6 pico size kegs for me, and 3 kegs of 3 gals, allowing me to brew and ferment 3 double batches. And that is really plenty. That's as far the expansion will go unless we move into a house with a larger basement. The pico did re-ignite the brew passion for sure.

P.S: Jealous of the fermenters. I'd have 3 of 7.5Gals if we had the space, and scale to 6 kegs of 3 gals for serving. It's been the just perfect size for our consumption I found.

Pike Monk's Uncle... My green tilt died (battery I am assuming) anyone brewed this one before? How many days fast ferment at 71°?

Last edited:
I wound up with three serving kegs and two brew kegs. And now, after less than two weeks use, my Pico S is down.
Wasted a Pico Pak. I have an e-mail into PicoBrew. Hope something happens quickly. :(

Don't worry, they will replace the Pak and if you continue to have problems they will replace the Pico. I know, because I am on my second one which is operating perfectly! The first one was a lemon.

I have let the Pico do its self tests and had a code 7 and a code 19.
The self tests concluded that the ThermoBlock wasn't thermoing anymore.
Four hours waiting for the steam pressure to build kinda lends a little veracity to that thought!
Real bummer!

I have let the Pico do its self tests and had a code 7 and a code 19.
The self tests concluded that the ThermoBlock wasn't thermoing anymore.
Four hours waiting for the steam pressure to build kinda lends a little veracity to that thought!
Real bummer!
I feel for you! I never had a problem with the thermoblock but the shuttle pump was replaced twice! And then it was determined that nothing was wrong with the shuttle pumps that we had replaced, once by me and once by them having it shipped back. And then the third time they just sent a new machine. The current machine has been running without a single error code for months! Others here had to listen to me whine through months of aggravation! I was tempted to shoot the thing! LOL

I have always been a firm believer in that patience belong in hospitals! How-ever, considering that I am not able to use my Pico, it do seem that my choices are severely limited!

Pike Monk's Uncle... My green tilt died (battery I am assuming) anyone brewed this one before? How many days fast ferment at 71°?
You can always count on 14 days to do you right. I have had my tilt stop working during fermentation but it was due to it getting stuck behind the dip tube. I have given it a shake and it works free and wakes up.

You can always count on 14 days to do you right. I have had my tilt stop working during fermentation but it was due to it getting stuck behind the dip tube. I have given it a shake and it works free and wakes up.
I already shook it. :(
It worked for 2 days... I am sure it's the battery. It's the original and I can't remember how many times it's been in use. But I have 3...
I was thinking 10 days but the heat went off in this room last night and that dropped the temps so my beer got chilled and so did the poor birds! I will leave it for 14. Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone brewed the Buffalo Sweat? I think it might be stuck?
My OG was .061. Target FG should be around .023. It's been stuck at .028/9 for 5 or 6 days now. AA is 54%. Re-pitch?
Here's the tilt info if that helps anyone.

Edit: yeast: 1 teaspoon of S-04. I used the same packet on a Max Nix porter that has already gone to .023 so I don't think the yeast was bad. I shook it per Macguyver's advice also. I just bumped the temperature up to 65.

Last edited:
Does anyone here have a phone number for PicoBrew Customer Service?
Sending an e-mail and waiting a day for an answer is getting on my nerves!

An update on my Pico...
If you have a problem with your PicoBrew S, Pro, C, Zymatic or Z, I hope that you get Kevin to help you with it.
Kevin was very patient with me, and thats saying a LOT! I am not exactly the easiest person to get along with, but Kevin was diplomatic as all get out!
A new unit will be shipped out early next week. I did not even need to use the phone numbers that I don't have. (wink wink)

So a serious shout out to Kevin! :bravo:

Pete

Anyone else received an upgrade offer for their S, C, Pro to the new Z?

Back