PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I am seeing and I did the unlimited in the kickstarter not the value I thought it would be. It's gonna take me two weeks to get a pack from the time I order. Oh well

Riht now I think it's about a week plus for them to ship. Note that Williams Sonoma and Northern Brewer also sell some of the core Picopaks.

Are they just retail fronts and the shipments are still processed with the pico delays of a few weeks? Are they expedited and still ship from pico? Or do they actually have stock?

Gonna wait to start my brew unlimited till the end of the year. Hoping by then they will have the process streamlined and delivery will be quicker...

That's a very good idea it doesn't appear like they are ready yet unless it's a custom pack they should ship same day like most companies.

Gonna wait to start my brew unlimited till the end of the year. Hoping by then they will have the process streamlined and delivery will be quicker...

Unfortunately, I don't believe the delays are a coincidence, but rather more of a way to reduce their costs. If every subscriber was to leverage 8 packs per month, that would be $5.20 per pack of revenue, including shipping. It's not realistic nor sustainable in my opinion. Hence, why I think they will bottleneck the whole deal and realistically send maybe something closer to 40 packs a year. I hope I am wrong, truly. I am just thinking as a businessman, nothing else. There were no SLAs mentioned at all. Anyhow, waiting is probably a wise choice. I'll keep an eye out for the results as I'm curious.

That strange noise is the rotary valve for the manifold, moving around to divert the flow through the different outputs. You really hear it working during the final rinse.

Yeah, observing the machine closer during a brew, I noticed the sound was when the different holes were injected with water. It's easier to observe on a deep clean cycle. How the whole thing works is genius in my opinion. Other machines just automate the manual process without much innovation, but the Pico is doing it quite differently. Almost halfway between what large breweries use as a process, and manual homebrew.

I still contemplate the grainfather for the yield it produces, but I still admire my Pico and the simplicity that allowed me back at brewing. How difficult would it be to make a Z the size of a Pico? I believe they just don't want to. The Pico IS a shrunk Z already. Albeit, a locked down one. When I gain more space dedicated to brewing, I'll add a Z or something like it.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the delays are a coincidence, but rather more of a way to reduce their costs. If every subscriber was to leverage 8 packs per month, that would be $5.20 per pack of revenue, including shipping. It's not realistic nor sustainable in my opinion. Hence, why I think they will bottleneck the whole deal and realistically send maybe something closer to 40 packs a year. I hope I am wrong, truly. I am just thinking as a businessman, nothing else. There were no SLAs mentioned at all. Anyhow, waiting is probably a wise choice. I'll keep an eye out for the results as I'm curious.

My experience with them has been one in which they do all they can to keep the customer happy. This would be out of character for pico. My guess is they will extend it or offer some other free packs if they continue to get backed up. It's is an annoyance to wait two weeks and they need to fix this

Can anyone share a pic of a freestyle pack? I'd like to see what the content looks like, and compared to the regular marketplace packs.

Can anyone share a pic of a freestyle pack? I'd like to see what the content looks like, and compared to the regular marketplace packs.

Don't have a picture but they are exactly the same as every other pack. Different labeling obviously.

That's a very good idea it doesn't appear like they are ready yet unless it's a custom pack they should ship same day like most companies.

Actually the way their assembly line works everything is built on order. They could make my dead guy right after your custom. There is a video online somewhere of this.

That's what I am seeing and I did the unlimited in the kickstarter not the value I thought it would be. It's gonna take me two weeks to get a pack from the time I order. Oh well

Shipping has gone to hell since the end of the kickstarter. This isn't the norm. I have no doubt they haven't announced the start of unlimited because of these issues with getting all these Pico upgrades out. They won't start unlimited until they are ready. My packs normally ship within a few days at most.

Ship date for Tweaties was 7/17 from Williams Sonoma. So partner retailers are affected as well.

I don't know about Williams Sonoma, but Best Buy and amazon definitely keep their own stock and ship themselves, the few packs they carry.

Don't have a picture but they are exactly the same as every other pack. Different labeling obviously.

Actually the way their assembly line works everything is built on order. They could make my dead guy right after your custom. There is a video online somewhere of this.

Shipping has gone to hell since the end of the kickstarter. This isn't the norm. I have no doubt they haven't announced the start of unlimited because of these issues with getting all these Pico upgrades out. They won't start unlimited until they are ready. My packs normally ship within a few days at most.

I don't know about Williams Sonoma, but Best Buy and amazon definitely keep their own stock and ship themselves, the few packs they carry.

Thanks, good to know about the Amazon part. I just hope they would let you know at ordering if a pack was back ordered.

Imagine if the upcoming Prime Day had rebates on packs.

For the FreeStyle packs, i wish they could allow the design of your own label and packs' logo. Sure it would mean possibly longer shipping times, but if you're proud of your recipe, it would be a great way to show off, and know which keg is which.

Ya that would be cool! My labels would be NSFW though! :D

Amazon does let you know if stuff is in stock, I've ordered a few and get them in 2 days with prime. When I need a half squeezed fix that's where I go.

This doesn't make sense - even if it takes 2 weeks to ship you can order your new paks as soon as the old ones are brewed, you don't need to wait until they are all drank :)

Considering it takes almost two weeks to properly ferment and (hopefully) at least a week to drink if not longer, I don't see a problem. I don't think it's practically possible to go through 8 paks per month unless you have at least 6 ferment kegs and a lot of friends to continually share it with!

Ya that would be cool! My labels would be NSFW though! :D

Amazon does let you know if stuff is in stock, I've ordered a few and get them in 2 days with prime. When I need a half squeezed fix that's where I go.

ah ah! I don't want to know what the half squeezed label would look like! ;-)

I sure will give Amazon a try on the packs

You know the barbed fitting that you shove in the bung of the serving keg? You remove that fitting from the regulator. Then you screw in this fitting from Williams in its place. Then you take a standard threaded ball lock gas adapter and screw that into this newly replaced fitting from Williams. Easy peasy.

Did you change the gas line side? Those small 16g are G 5/8" threaded? I'd like to put a bigger bottle, like paintball size. Something like this: <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKYMLL7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1Z19AGTF0EJB8&psc=1>

I wonder what else I need on the gas line side to make it. I want to covert those regulators so they don't go to loss. I just hate the serving kegs in a passion.

Did you change the gas line side? Those small 16g are G 5/8" threaded? I'd like to put a bigger bottle, like paintball size.

I wonder what else I need on the gas line side to make it. I want to covert those regulators so they don't go to loss. I just hate the serving kegs in a passion.

Check out the Weekend Brewer's website they have a fitting for a paintball tank that screws into the 3/8 fitting (same as the 16g cartridge). The 5/8 thread is for the 72g cartridges

Weekend Brewer: https://www.theweekendbrewer.com/collections/keg-chargers

Check out the Weekend Brewer's website they have a fitting for a paintball tank that screws into the 3/8 fitting (same as the 16g cartridge). The 5/8 thread is for the 72g cartridges

Weekend Brewer: https://www.theweekendbrewer.com/collections/keg-chargers

Thanks DrSafety! Looks like an interstate pneumatic adapter that they sell for more

Ok, I would want to add a hose in there, otherwise it's all too rigid and will look like this, but with a paintball tank.

The gaz side (G1/2-14) is not easy to find since it needs to go to 3/8-24, not sure if it's even made or exist, so I will have to rely on the 1/4" MFL side for a hose.

I guess I will need to make one, or rely on this

So total, I'm looking at roughly $29 for the gas side to retrofit the regulator to ball lock using a paintball tank (while keeping the option to use the small 16g/20g co2 cartridges).
And about $30 for a tap.
While I prefer the tap above, the Pico upgrade kit looks good if you need a new keg as well.

Anyhow, hope the parts and figuring out what is needed helps anyone else as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone received their pro upgrade kit? If so, I'd like to see a close-up of the regulator with ball lock. Is the 1/4" MFL fitting unscrew-able ?

Has anyone received their pro upgrade kit? If so, I'd like to see a close-up of the regulator with ball lock. Is the 1/4" MFL fitting unscrew-able ?

This photo was posted on the Picobrewers face book group. Look a like an mfl fitting that is unscrewable

IMG_0043.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks DrSafety! Looks like an interstate pneumatic adapter that they sell for more

Ok, I would want to add a hose in there, otherwise it's all too rigid and will look like this, but with a paintball tank.

I guess I will need to make one, or rely on this

So total, I'm looking at roughly $29 for the gas side to retrofit the regulator to ball lock using a paintball tank (while keeping the option to use the small 16g/20g co2 cartridges).
And about $30 for a tap.
While I prefer the tap above, the Pico upgrade kit looks good if you need a new keg as well.

Anyhow, hope the parts and figuring out what is needed helps anyone else as well.

I order a hose as well plus a check valve from Williams brewing. Looks like I paid an extra $6.00. Thanks a bunch :)

Brewed my first brew Tweaties with the Pico. All went well. The beersmith yeast calculator measured a mere 3 grams of us 05 which is about 1/4 pack or less than 1/8th a teaspoon. Be curious to see what happens I believe some had recommended using half a teaspoon. Anyway did this last night and its bubbling away today.

Brewed my first brew Tweaties with the Pico. All went well. The beersmith yeast calculator measured a mere 3 grams of us 05 which is about 1/4 pack or less than 1/8th a teaspoon. Be curious to see what happens I believe some had recommended using half a teaspoon. Anyway did this last night and its bubbling away today.

Your getting tsp and tablespoon mixed up. 1/2 tsp is not close to 3 grams. The 1/2 tsp is based on trial and error not a yeast calculator. Less is best with us05 and Pico batches.

This photo was posted on the Picobrewers face book group. Look a like an mfl fitting that is unscrewable

Thanks man. I can imagine the thread on the ball lock side to be screwed in. Even if you remove it, a hose with a male side would need to be made.

In the end, for anyone interested, I opted for combining this adapter that would join the regulator and this ball lock kit

The picnic and 3/8"-24 threaded CO2 cartridges will be used for picnic, boat, camping, etc. Otherwise, I'll use the 1/2"-14 adapter and a paintball tank with a regular tap for home. Small enough to fit in my beer fridge. The minister of finance did not approve my new remodelling proposal that included a kegerator/keezer. So this will do fine for the moment. Flexible enough to allow me to cold crash, cold carb, dispense and keep my beer cold. 3 kegs at a time.

So, I will just buy an extra keg, build the rest myself, and ditch the damn serving kegs for good. I still have no idea how to reuse those for something truly useful this time. Any idea?

Brew unlimited calc: 3 beers comsumed/shared per day, 15 beers per picopaks, 5 days to consume/share a picopak. Equates to about 6 picopaks a month..

Oh, and those CO2 cartridges are supposed to fit the regular 3/8" thread of the regulator, instead of the 5/8th the new regulator have for the 74g cartridges. At 90g, it should be interesting to bring along on camping for dispensing and carbing.

EDIT: Those cartridges are not standard. The thread is M16x1.5, metric. JT sells an ASA adapter, so if you really wanted that, you would need 1 more converter at least.

Is the Facebook group public? I don't have any FB account, I'd like to know if there's any good post, but don't know how. :confused:

Brew unlimited calc: 3 beers comsumed/shared per day, 15 beers per picopaks, 5 days to consume/share a picopak. Equates to about 6 picopaks a month..

That's a pretty optimistic goal. I don't imagine they have intentions of sending out 6 every month. I imagine it will average out to a savings over the standard price though.

Oh, and those CO2 cartridges are supposed to fit the regular 3/8" thread of the regulator, instead of the 5/8th the new regulator have for the 74g cartridges. At 90g, it should be interesting to bring along on camping for dispensing and carbing.

Is the Facebook group public? I don't have any FB account, I'd like to know if there's any good post, but don't know how. :confused:

No the group is private, for both zymatic and Pico owners. It's named "picobrewers" but you will definitely need an account.

That's a pretty optimistic goal. I don't imagine they have intentions of sending out 6 every month. I imagine it will average out to a savings over the standard price though.

If I was able to receive them weekly, I'd be able to brew and drink 2 packs a week. With summer, pool and friends, we sure drink this currently.

No the group is private, for both zymatic and Pico owners. It's named "picobrewers" but you will definitely need an account.

Bummer. Oh well, no intention on getting on that bandwagon anytime soon. Thanks for confirming though.

If I was able to receive them weekly, I'd be able to brew and drink 2 packs a week. With summer, pool and friends, we sure drink this currently.

Bummer. Oh well, no intention on getting on that bandwagon anytime soon. Thanks for confirming though.

Oh trust me the drinking isn't the problem lol, I go through that much or more. I brew about 4 a month and have to supplement. I just mean don't count on them sending out 6 a month to everyone every month, this is a business and that would loose money. I have no idea how unlimited will turn out but I promise they want to make money not loose it.

I think you might be surprised at how quickly they send. With tthe Inbev investment, they are looking longterm. I do not believe near term profit is an issue. They want to dominate the market. Growth is more important than profit to them right now.

I also suspect next year they will raise the price of brew unlimited to something like $849 per year or $99 a month.

They do not want the negative publicity of appearing to slow roll shipments. During the KS they said any where in the country should have thier picopak within 7 days. IMHO 4 to 6 a month will be doable.

Even 4 a month equates to about $10 a picopak for the $500 subscription. Average 5 a month and you are looking at less than $9 a Picopak.. And those numbers are delivered...

I hope your right but i highly doubt it. 4 a month is my reasonable estimate of what to expect.

They have a lot of work to do, because i have NEVER received a pack in 7 days from ordering. Right now it's taking 3 weeks. Not knocking anyone, I just always have to plan ahead. We'll see how this all pans out.

And I see no competition to the Pico at all. The others are gimmicks and infringe on IP, will never see them.

Oh trust me the drinking isn't the problem lol, I go through that much or more. I brew about 4 a month and have to supplement. I just mean don't count on them sending out 6 a month to everyone every month, this is a business and that would loose money. I have no idea how unlimited will turn out but I promise they want to make money not loose it.

Yeah, got you. I was saying the same. I can't even see 4 a month frankly. Less $10/pack including shipping, is not realistic.

I expect they will have no problem with however many you can consume - the average user will be far under this quantity. 2-3 paks/month is pretty much the break even price on a month to month payment.

If they find it's losing them money they will tweak the price, not cap the number of paks.

Oh, and about AB InBev, it's ZX Ventures, and it's a minority stake. Like all VCs, they want to see cash. I doubt ABInBev has any interest in making unlimited beer available and see their water sales, eh I mean, malt beverages sales, go down even by a drop. So chances are more on the, less packs per month please, side.

I have a differing opinion on the impact of AB Inbev. I think it will be positive, they are in it for the long term, and want to grow market share. I think thier funds will help bolster production of picopaks and by the end of the year we will see quicker deliveries..... I believe, if you brew as soon as you get them, 6 a month will be possible in 2018...Just an opinion

A minority investor can be 49%,,,,, just saying..

I expect they will have no problem with however many you can consume - the average user will be far under this quantity. 2-3 paks/month is pretty much the break even price on a month to month payment.

If they find it's losing them money they will tweak the price, not cap the number of paks.

I didn't mean to imply that they would artificially limit you on packs. They are too stand up of a company for that. My expectations are based on the past year of receiving packs from them. They always take 5 business days to reach me in Texas once shipped, and used to ship around 3 days after order, this summer is taking much longer. So thats usually about 10+ days to get to me with weekends, then given the fact I only brew on a weekend...

The closer you live to them obviously the better, and if you brew the 2 packs the day you receive them you could do 6 a month given enough kegs and they improve the shipping.

Then there's the price part, my point is don't expect the current advertised price of $59 a month to stick if everyone is doing 6 a month. But ya it will probably turn out to everyone averaging out to 3-4 packs a month, with the hardcore doing more and the slackers cancelling.

Your getting tsp and tablespoon mixed up. 1/2 tsp is not close to 3 grams. The 1/2 tsp is based on trial and error not a yeast calculator. Less is best with us05 and Pico batches.

Actually I weighed it. It makes sense to use a quarter pack of dry since a whole pack is for 5 gallons so I am not surprised by beer smith's calculations.

Concur this is a very good company and they would not limit the number or purposely slow roll shipments. They will work to get them out as quickly as possible. Just give them some time to adjust to demand.

Concur also on price. If they are losing money, they will adjust price.

Actually I weighed it. It makes sense to use a quarter pack of dry since a whole pack is for 5 gallons so I am not surprised by beer smith's calculations.

Ok your really missing the point here. Of course the yeast calculator told you to use a quarter pack. It weighs 11.5g for 5 gallons. Simple math = ~3g. BUT, that's too much for a Pico batch, like I said trial and error.

This is where you mixed up tablespoon and teaspoon. I have weighed it out too, 1 tsp = ~3grams. The recommended 1/2 tsp is about 1.5 grams. You suggested it was more than a quarter of the pack when it's less. Don't want any new user to be confused, it does make a difference.

Back