Picnic Style Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchBrew

Reaction score
Hey All ... I started putting my keg system together this past weekend and I had a question. My LHBS only had this tap: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/faucet-tubing-kit-bl-ball-lock-version.html so that's what I bought.

From what I've read, I'm better off with a longer hose on the dispensing end. Has anyone used this exact tap? I'm wondering if this is going to cause any problems with dispensing and if I should just try to find (or make) a longer one or if I'll be ok with this one. I understand that I'd need to have a much lower serving pressure due to the lack of resistance from the short hose.

I didn't get to even keg my beer this weekend because I bought the wrong size hose for the CO2 (should have checked the my regulator before I left the house, I needed a 5/16" not 1/4"! :rolleyes:) So I didn't get to use this tap and I'm sure the guy at the LHBS would be ok with me swapping it out if need be. I'll be heading to there on Wednesday (they're closed Monday & Tuesday) to get the proper QD for the gas so I could hopefully swap out this one if it's terrible. Thanks for you help!

You should be fine with that tap as long as you turn the pressure down. Play around with it until you get the serving pressure you want. I'd say somewhere between 2 - 8 psi.

Do yourself a favor and buy a longer length of tubing. Short tubing like that will work short term, but dispensing your beer at the pressure required for that tap, (2-3 PSI), will mean flat beer within a few days. Get 8-10 feet of tubing, and keep your beer at proper pressure (10-15 PSI) at all times.

For the CO2 tubing, 1/4" will work fine on 5/16" barbs! Just stick the tubing in very hot water for a few seconds, (I microwave hot water to boiling, then take it out and stick the tube end in it), and it will slide right on! (same trick works with 3/16" tubing on 1/4" barbs).

Thanks for the help guys! I think I'm going to make a longer dispensing line, sounds like too much to mess around with having to turn the PSI lower and all.

shorty: I had my numbers messed up the tubing was 3/16" ID and the barb on the CO2 is 3/8" meaning I'd need 5/16" ID tubing (I think ... but I'm def double checking tonight before I goto the LHBS tomorrow)

Somewhat (un)related ... speaking of PSI levels, when doing the set & forget method of force carbing if I have the PSI set @ 14 for carbing & dispensing will it over carb if its set to that or can the beer only accept X volumes of CO2 then no more can go into the liquid.

Somewhat (un)related ... speaking of PSI levels, when doing the set & forget method of force carbing if I have the PSI set @ 14 for carbing & dispensing will it over carb if its set to that or can the beer only accept X volumes of CO2 then no more can go into the liquid.

14 PSI, at, say, 45°F, will put 2.4 volumes of CO2 into your beer. This is the equilibrium between the solubility of CO2 in the beer at that temp and the partial pressure of CO2 in the headspace of the keg. It can stay at 14 PSI forever, and not overcarb.

A simple analogy is a car. If you press the accelerator down a certain amount, the car will accelerate to a certain speed and then stay at that speed. That speed is the equilibrium between the power the engine is putting out, (CO2 pressure), and the frictional resistances of air and wheels and drivetrain, (solubility of CO2 in beer). Pressing the gas pedal down farther will cause your equilibrium speed to be higher. Simply pressing the gas pedal down a certain amount will cause your speed to slowly climb to a certain point, then hold there, (this is set-and-forget carbing). The alternative is to press the pedal down a lot harder, causing your car to accelerate quickly, then back off on the gas pedal a certain amount once you get near the speed you want to drive at, (burst carbing).

awesome analogy! i love it. The solubility is what i was worried about, but sounds like I'm just over thinking as usual. haha

And the rolling the keg around method would be like driving out of your driveway straight off a cliff, careening off some rocks, couple of barrel rolls, and hitting the highway going a comfortable 45 mph.

shortyjacobs said:
A simple analogy is a car. If you press the accelerator down a certain amount, the car will accelerate to a certain speed and then stay at that speed. That speed is the equilibrium between the power the engine is putting out, (CO2 pressure), and the frictional resistances of air and wheels and drivetrain, (solubility of CO2 in beer). Pressing the gas pedal down farther will cause your equilibrium speed to be higher. Simply pressing the gas pedal down a certain amount will cause your speed to slowly climb to a certain point, then hold there, (this is set-and-forget carbing). The alternative is to press the pedal down a lot harder, causing your car to accelerate quickly, then back off on the gas pedal a certain amount once you get near the speed you want to drive at, (burst carbing).

And the rolling the keg around method would be like driving out of your driveway straight off a cliff, careening off some rocks, couple of barrel rolls, and hitting the highway going a comfortable 45 mph.

Barrel Rolls .... :rockin: Nice! lmao

Hahah this is great

Latest posts

Back