Pickling Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) vs Calcium Chloride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was at Walmart trying to pick up some pickle crisp (calcium chloride) and they didn't have it. They had some Pickling Lime with is Calcium Hydroxide. Can I use that as a substitute to calcium chloride? If so how much?

Also, I am using reverse osmosis water for my brewing. I have gypsum to add as well.

Thanks in advance!

If making pickles, yes. Just be sure to wash it all off very carefully after treatment as you do not want its alkalinity to offset the acidity of the vinegar which could result in a pH high enough to allow botulinus to come to life.

If making beer, yes, if you neutralize it with hydrochloric acid as Ca(OH)2 neutralized by enough HCl to bring the pH to 7 is equivalent to adding CaCl2 with the same amount of calcium. You would have to neutralize with something else if food grade hydrochloric acid isn't available (which it most probably isn't unless you are posting from the UK). If you use lactic or phosporic acid you will have the calcium at the end but no chloride. While people often assume they are adding CaCl2 for the calcium the chloride is equally important to good beer flavor and body. If you have CRS available (UK) you can produce a water with sufficient calcium, sulfate and chloride by using that product with pickling lime. There would be some manipulating to do to get the amount of each right. Otherwise, no, you can't practically use Ca(OH)2 instead of calcium chloride. In no case is Ca(OH)2 a 'plug in' substitute for CaCl2.

They are very different in both composition and their effect on your beer. For most brewing, the CaCl2 is most useful. When brewing dark styles with RO water, then you might need the pickling lime.

Back