pickleing (sp)???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
I heard mention of this process here. What is it? and How do you do it? Any help would be great. I built my first 5 gallon lauter/tun that I haven't used yet. I just wanted to make sure I don't screw something up on my first brew.

Pickling???

What eggs or brass.

For eggs, boil the eggs, shell, cover with vinegar and spices, leave to soak and eat.

Fo brass, boil in vinegar, don't eat.

I pickled my brass fittings the other night for just barely 5 minutes and now I think I need to do it again. I didn't get that "buttery yellow" that John Palmer talks about but a little bit darker and the vinegar peroxide mix was a very very light tint of greenish. How often should you pickle your brass fittings anyway?

Also, should you run the fittings under water immediately after removing them from the vinegar solution?

Is my first AG batch poisonous, now? :cross: I bottled it last Sunday, and it tasted pretty damned good, I thought. I didn't detect any metallic tastes, or anything else out of the ordinary. Just a good, uncarbonated ESB.

I did clean the wort chiller with soap and water, and then scrubbed it like mad with One Step, before putting it in the boil kettle, however. Will this be alright?

Or, is pickling only required for brass? Either way, I've never pickled my brass fittings either.

Back