Picking Hardware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjmaster19

Reaction score
I want to jump into all grain, and need some advice on equipment. I've narrowed it down to two example options:

Option 1: Cooler type kit
http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallo...ash-Tun-With-False-Bottom-AND-HLT_p_1313.html

Option 2: Kettle kit
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/10-gallon-all-grain-commercial-quality-kettle-kit-bundle.html

Option 1 obviously has the advantage of cost.

First question, since option 2 comes with 2 kettles, could I use one of them as my main kettle too? (I'm in the market for a new kettle, so that would be a huge plus)

Second, other than looks, and maybe long term reliability, what I am I really getting for $150 more? Both systems are capable of batch and fly sparge (have to add the arm for both).

Third, is one system easier to use/maintain than the other?

I'm really getting into brewing, so I imagine that I'll be using it for years, and years to come.

If this is something you're going to use for the next 15 or 20 years, buy the best you can afford. The only thing I'd be worried about is batch size. How much beer do you want to brew? You have to be able to brew it faster than you drink it.. ;) Otherwise, I think for future expansion, the stainless pot setup looks best to me.

1) Sure you can do anything with them that you want to. My HLT looks an awful lot like my BK.

2) Long term reliability, easy to clean and better resale makes me think that the stainless is a better deal and worth the extra $150

3) Yes, stainless is by far, easier than plastic to clean up.

It sounds like you have beer brewing extracts for some time so you must have at least a little equipment. Instead of pouring a lot of dollars into this right now, dollars that could be buying you grains and hops, how about a start really cheap to see if you really want to do all grain? You might find that it takes too long or that you don't have the innate ability to control water temperatures that are essential to all grain brewing and then have equipment that is of little use.

What I did was to start very cheap. Very, very cheap. Like $35 cheap.

I bought a Corona style mill (no LHBS that had a mill) and a pair of paint strainer bags and did a half size batch in my 5 gallon pot to see if it was something I wanted to continue with. I soon found that all grain was something that I enjoyed so I bought a bigger pot and a propane burner but continued with the BIAB because it fit my schedule better. If you tried it you could then make a decision based on your ability instead of someone else's experience.

And you can actually build your own mash tun for cheaper if you a DIY kinda guy. I just built one for around $75.00.

Honestly, it's got to come down to personal preference and what you are going for in your set up. I would have went with a nice converted cooler for a MT, but I want to do both 5 and 10 gallon sized batches. So I can easily accomplish this I went with a 10, 15 and 20 gallon stainless pots.

Latest posts

Back