Phrases that need to die a quick, excruciating death

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At work someone created a spreadsheet to randomly generate a BINGO card with all the catch phrases commonly used in the daily supply chain meeting. After a couple weeks, there were about 20 of these secret "supply chain bingo" cards around the room. Then one day someone let a "Bingo" slip out and the fun was quickly over. Fortunately that person did not jump out of their chair, and I managed not to shoot coffee out my nose.

People who use the flip response, "whatever." Usually comes out like "what-EV-errrr." Bad enough hearing teens say it; I now hear 40-something adults using it. Always females. The day I hear a guy say it, I will personally revoke his man-card on the spot. :rockin:

And hearing young, professional women talk in that creaky vocal fry.

"That's what I was thinking." After coming up to me and asking how to complete a task. Then why are you asking me.

"Huh?" Before I even finish my sentence. Yet, if I wait for a few seconds, I'll get the response I was asking for. This took way too long for me to figure out. I don't know how many times I have repeated myself with someone standing right in front of me. There was a short time that I started all of my sentences out with "I said...." because after all of the repeating, I figured I would just start with the repeat first.

"I know, right?" I don't know if you know, but my guess is you don't.

"It's great experience". One of my bosses says this whenever someone is assigned to a crappy, meaningless task.

I'd be scared if you had said that you literally wanted too, but since it is just figuratively.....nah.

I think I've used most of the phrases posted. Ya know. Been there, done that. 😜

"All I know is"

If that is all that you know how the hell do you get out of bed in the morning?

Isn't quick and excruciating a contradiction?

I smashed a finger nail 1 1/2 weeks ago. Most of it was falling off but about 1/8 inch was still connected on one side. Today I used some needle nose pliers to pull if off. That was quick and excruciating.

No offense...

Often followed by something racist, ignorant, sexist, or a personal attack with no constructive part of a conversation in sight. People act like its a get out of jail free card that allows them to be pricks.

So you guys need to be aware ... I shoot people that begin a sentence with 'so.'

I enjoy talking with people that end a sentence with "so...". When they do it I'll just stare at them sipping coffee waiting for them to continue. Might as well make it awkward.

One of my friends also likes to ask me how my day was while we are having a beer and proceed to respond with, "huh?" after I have told my story. Quite often, he'll do it multiple times in a row in which case I change the story each time throwing in unicorns and goblins.

I enjoy talking with people that end a sentence with "so...". When they do it I'll just stare at them sipping coffee waiting for them to continue. Might as well make it awkward.

One of my friends also likes to ask me how my day was while we are having a beer and proceed to respond with, "huh?" after I have told my story. Quite often, he'll do it multiple times in a row in which case I change the story each time throwing in unicorns and goblins.

Huh is another good one. I just talked for 5 minutes, Im expecting an answer. When people respond with "huh?" I make them as uncomfortable as humanly possible. "Where did you get lost, I had a lot of information there" "uh... I didnt get any of it" "so you let me go on for 5 minutes? what were you doing in that time?"

This is particularly true with store associates.

it goes with out saying, if I can be honest, that I personally feel the ultimate life hack is YOLO. to be fair, it's generational to think outside the box and gift someone an app. I know, right? seriously? it may or may not be a reach out, but I got news for you. :hashtag:YOLO, yo.

Haha made me laugh. I was waiting for your post BK. Top of my list are "Needless to say" and pretty much any 90s slang that my wife/friends/coworkers say. You're 3X years old, it's time to stop the "holla" and start "holler" ing.

Nooooooo! Someone beat me to gate-gate! I've been bitching about this for years! Gate watch, 2014: When will it stop?!

I'm also in complete agreement with the analysis on "No offense, but..." My wife does this all the time, and I always have to mentally pause the conversation to put on my boxing gloves.

"-hack" is also really awful. Life-hack is pretty bad, but I hate "Food-hack" more. You cannot hack a watermellon, and whatever fancy trick you have to show me is already in a cookbook somewhere. Let's just call this "cooking" and move on.

Next on the list is ending a sentence with a trailing so. As in, "I have to travel this weekend, so..." "So shut the f*** up!" says Barley Bob. Whatever was supposed to come next was probably a total waste of my time anyway, and, if you really can't piece a complex sentence together in your head before you open your mouth, just don't speak at all.

Kids seem to like to use "ratchet" as a pejorative, which makes no sense. All I picture is this:
View attachment 234209

This has been a recent discovery of mine as well. I'm 33 years old and I'm just now hearing this term for the first time a couple of months back. I'm told it means a hoe or slutty girl. I know every generation has their phrases or words that are nonsense but is used all the time, but this one shined a light on the fact that I'm officially out of touch. You know what? I'm ok with that.

I always liked "no offense". it's a fun way to let someone know that you're going to insult them before you actually insult them. they know it's coming. they just don't know the severity of the insult. it can range from "No offense, but you're a d!ck." to "No offense, but the most intelligent thing to come out of your mouth was my grandma's balls."

I always liked "no offense". it's a fun way to let someone know that you're going to insult them before you actually insult them. they know it's coming. they just don't know the severity of the insult. it can range from "No offense, but you're a d!ck." to "No offense, but the most intelligent thing to come out of your mouth was my grandma's balls."

Thanks, now I'm craving spaghetti.

No offense...

Often followed by something racist, ignorant, sexist, or a personal attack with no constructive part of a conversation in sight. People act like its a get out of jail free card that allows them to be pricks.

Twin that with "With all due respect"

Of course, that means they are about to disrespect you.

With all due respect, you are a total bell end. I'm not surprised your wife left you, I bet your skin would do the same if it could.

I totally forgot about the "words and phrases I hate" thread. I guess I should have just posted this there...

Back