Phrases that need to die a quick, excruciating death

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
"First world problems."

This completely useless phrase can be nothing but hypocritical. There are those that use it in response to someone presenting a problem as a shortened way of saying, "why are you complaining about this when there are dying children in..." So you've never complained about anything in your entire life? Really? Right.

Then there are those that use it as a justification. "I know this is a first world problem, but..." You might as well be saying, "I realize there is a lack of social justice in this world, and that people are starving, but let's focus on my issue."

Guess what? It's ok to talk about something that annoys you. It's ok to bring up an issue or problem you're having. I'm not saying it's ok to be a chronic complainer, but sometimes, complaining is fine.

This phrase isn't going to fix the problems in the world, nor does it do anything to refocus people's attention on those issues. So stop using it. Now.

Of all the social memes to come from my generation, I believe this to be the wort. YOLO would probably take second, but I don't believe that one to be harmful in any way. Just incredibly annoying...

Oh, and if you reply "first world problems" to this thread, you're a moron. :smack:

I used to let stuff like that bother me too. Then I figured, me being mad about it is going to make people stop doing it, so why get riled up? People do things I find dumb/pointless/ridiculous all the time, but I generally just chuckle inside now instead of getting angry. Makes things a lot more pleasant.

Serenity now.

Yolo...when I hear someone say that I simply say, "no ****". Of course you only live once, asshat.

But frankly, nothing really bugs me in that respect and I figure worrying about it is useless.

Sorry we're out of pumpkin spice is the definition of a first world problem.

Come at me bro

Seriously ?
Seriously ?

Seriously, next time someone says that to me, I m gonna slap em !

Gift. When used as a f****ng verb. It hurts my ears even more when used in the past tense. "He gifted me a six-pack." Ugh.

In favor of a healthy blood pressure, I was going to stay out of it. However...

When you ask someone a question and they preface their answer by saying, "Honestly?". No, I want you to spurt disgusting lies to my face.

The only other one that really makes my skin crawl is "I know right??". Right. Thanks for the input.

"Reach out"

People in business don't call, email, text any more. All they do is reach out. Drives me crazy.

"Life hack"

Stupidest phrase I've ever heard.

"Whatnot"

Pretty much just a mental pause that gives the speaker time to frame his/her next thought.

"It's generational"

The fact that you dont know how to pay your bills online isnt a result of you being older. Its because you never learned to pay your bills online. You didnt grow up with online billpay? Wow... that makes you unique amongst... no other adult 18 years or older. 18 years ago online bill pay did not exist. 18 years old and 60 are two different generations. You arent being a product of your generation, you are being annoying. Cut it out.

Also, if the indiscriminate use of racist, homophobic or sexist terminology in the course of conversation were truly explained away by "its generational," then why do I meet so many 50, 60 and 70 year olds who are NOT ********?

stop it stop it stop it

I'll second "Life hack." If you give me a helpful tip on how to keep my headphone cord untangled, you have given me a helpful tip - you have not "hacked" my or anyone else's life.

"Can I be honest"

I have my doubts...

"It goes without saying" or "Needless to say"

And yet here you are, saying it....

"To make a long story short"

is usually said after a f**king long boring story

"Near miss"

If it missed, it's an ACTUAL miss. Not a near miss. A near miss would be a hit.

Any use of the word "Bae"...which I'm still not sure the meaning of. I just don't like it.
Also, when people preface something by saying "to be honest" or "to be fair".....are you saying you're normally a lying dickhead when you don't preface a something with a statement of honesty & fairness?

I think I'm ready for "hipster" to go away too.

it goes with out saying, if I can be honest, that I personally feel the ultimate life hack is YOLO. to be fair, it's generational to think outside the box and gift someone an app. I know, right? seriously? it may or may not be a reach out, but I got news for you. :hashtag:YOLO, yo.

Kids seem to like to use "ratchet" as a pejorative, which makes no sense. All I picture is this:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415314630.931656.jpg

it goes with out saying, if I can be honest, that I personally feel the ultimate life hack is YOLO. to be fair, it's generational to think outside the box and gift someone an app. I know, right? seriously? it may or may not be a reach out, but I got news for you. :hashtag:YOLO, yo.

Annnnnnnd the thread has been summarily mocked while simultaneously being summed up. Nice work.

OK Im new here but here is some **** that drives me crazy

"Lets have a conversation"
"Getting push back"
"reach out"
the way overused "absolutely"...and how about this one "not my gig"

Lets not even get into up talk.

One I want to die a long, slow, excruciating death is "moving forward". As in "We've been all effed up in what we've done so far, but moving forward we'll probably eff up in a whole new way."

It's not exactly a phrase, but it is an effing lazy way to communicate that drives me nuts:

"+1"

Especially if it's the only effing thing you had to contribute.

Back