The worst beer I have ever had in my life...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitano

Reaction score
Let's get some "in the name of full disclosure" out of the way right up front.

1) I "learned" to drink beer as a teenager in Germany. That experience 'taints' my perception of "good" beer.
2) I don't believe all German beers are "good". In fact, I don't care for most of them.
3) I happen to like plain ol' Budweiser beer. It's not my favorite, but it 'works'.
4) The less 'hoppy' a beer is, the better I like it.
5) I prefer thick, dark, sweet if possible, stouts.
6) I'm 65 years old, so as a general rule I don't give a flying intercourse what other people think of my tastes in beer - or anything else for that matter.
7) I was a sailor (submarine), so that further indicates how 'foo-fooey' my tastes in beer and wine may, or may not, be.

There. That's the best I can provide in qualifying the following opinion.

Last Friday evening my wife and I were out running errands and decided to stop by Red Robin Gourmet Burgers to have a burger. Being Veteran's Day, I asked if they were running a Veteran's Day Special. "Yes, it's 'this' burger". (I don't remember the name of it, but I'll come back to that after I address the beer issue.) The waitress of course asked if we wanted something from the bar to drink. I answered, "What dark beers do you have?" Her response was "All we have is Guinness." I said, "Ok, I'll have a Guinness."

Now Guinness stout is by no means my favorite stout, but one doesn't often get one's favorite brew at franchise restaurants, and Guinness's stout is fine for an informal occasion like this was. I didn't notice where she got the beer from, and a glass of nice-looking dark beer appeared on the table in front of me. I took a sip. YUCK!

I almost spit it out! I took another sip. PTOOEY! It was DISGUSTING. It tasted like someone filled a beer glass with water and put a tablespoon of Guinness stout in it. Coors Lite tastes like stout compared to this! I thought something was wrong with their tap, and called the waitress/"barista" over and explained my displeasure with the beer. She said, "That came out of a can. You're not the first person to complain."

Holy crap! This is SUPPOSED to taste like seriously watered-down swill!

I have a tendency toward hyperbole when I'm trying to make a point. Let me assure you that the following is NOT hyperbole: That was the worst beer I have EVER tasted IN MY LIFE! Guinness should be ASHAMED of themselves for selling that SWILL. The worst beer I have EVER personally made wasn't as bad as that crap!

I asked to see the can, so I could be sure that 1) I identified it correctly when I referred to it in the future, and 2) that I NEVER bought it again! Just so there is no confusion about the beer (I use the term loosely), there's a picture of the can attached.

Back to the free burger.
First and foremost, no one, including Red Robin "owes" me ANYTHING for being a veteran. A free anything in the context of Veteran's Day is appreciated. However...

Red Robin is USING the "Veteran's Day Special" to generate business not "honor veterans". How do I know that, you ask? By applying something that in my old age has become a tool I use as a guide on most of what I see and hear today: "You will know them by their fruit". In other words, it's what people DO, NOT what they SAY, that actually reveals their real intentions or motivations.

The burger they are offering for free is the least expensive burger on their menu. Again, for emphasis, I'm not complaining about getting a free burger. Red Robin doesn't "owe" me anything. However, if Red Robin actually wanted to HONOR veterans for their service, they would have put their most expensive burgers on special. (You will know them by their fruit.) The difference in cost between the most expensive and least expensive burgers on the menu is $5. Given that not more than half of that is profit, and how many people are actually going to partake of the special, how 'painfull' - financially - would it have been to put the most expensive kinds of burgers on special? That's a rhetorical question.

They weren't "honoring" veterans, they were USING veterans to generate revenue.

You will know them by their fruit.

Paul

guiness-draught-beer-440ml-can.jpg

Worst beer I've ever had in my entire life is from Ormond Brewing Company in Ormond Beach, FL. In the past 2-3 years they've had 3 different brewers and every time there has been no improvement.

I am a professional brewer in the same county as them so I do not wish to start anything and will end my comments here by saying: try them for yourself, I doubt you'll disagree.

Several years ago my wife and I were in a Chinese restaurant and I thought, "What the hey, I'll have a Ting-sao (sic) and I could not make it past two sips.

Several years ago my wife and I were in a Chinese restaurant and I thought, "What the hey, I'll have a Ting-sao (sic) and I could not make it past two sips.

Tsing-Tsao? Did they really misspell it that way on the menu?

I made the mistake of asking for a beer on Cotton Island in Malaysia. It was Tiger. And worse, it was only slightly chilled because they had only just turned the generators back on to power the coolers.

Mmmm, warm Tiger beer. Only slightly more tolerable than straight shots of fish sauce.

Also I don't want to sound rude but you were surprised guinness tasted terrible? First off the original recipe was supposed to be a light colored beer but he was cheap and literally burnt the grains as a means of tax evasion and said "well...f*ck it, its dark now!" Second, Ireland keeps the "A" stock, we get like the "D" stock (for what isn't actually "made" in the US by simply rehydrating and fermenting guinness syrup like an extract).

It's like drinking a glass of 60 minute in delaware then buying a 6pack in Florida. Bet you can guess which one is fresh and delicious and which one tastes like it's a year old...

3) I happen to like plain ol' Budweiser beer. It's not my favorite, but it 'works'.

I almost spit it out! I took another sip. PTOOEY! It was DISGUSTING. It tasted like someone filled a beer glass with water and put a tablespoon of Guinness stout in it.

Holy crap! This is SUPPOSED to taste like seriously watered-down swill!

Wat???

Likes Budweiser (which is fine) but in the same breath complains about a watered down beer?

Granted you may be right in your complaint if other people earlier were complaining about it too as per the server.

This guy left a 6 pack of Heady Topper at my house ..... yuck!!!

Oh and the time me and the love of my life had a raspberry triple bock at the mikeller and friends bar in Iceland..... what a terrible time!

Haha, one of the worst fights I have ever had with my wife was because we stopped at a Red Robin out of desperation on a road trip. Awful, awful place. I can't imagine anything good ever happening there.

This one gets my vote. Tastes like cold curry soup. The only beer that I couldn't finish.

Went to flying saucer. . . the description in the Porters&Stouts section read something like "dark robust porter with hints of spice."

If I ever had to chug one of those 100% I would vomit. It took me 2 hours to go through that piece of garbage.

There's a local brewery in my town that i refuse to go back to. The beers themselves aren't terrible, if maybe a bit mediocre. But god damn every single one just has the worst chlorine taste. I don't know if they flat out don't treat their water, aren't treating it right, or if there's an issue with their equipment. But I went once shortly after grand opening, and only the porter was bearable because it hid it the best. I gave them some time to sort it out, tried again, still the same way. Done.

Granted you may be right in your complaint if other people earlier were complaining about it too as per the server.

So my opinion is meaningless unless "other people" also complained about it?

I have a naval response to that, but forum decorum prevents me from writing it. Imagine a one-fingered salute.

Paul

This brewery is a local one for me and they don't brew beer to any sort of style. They make it up as they go. It's as if you went to Taco Bell and put a splash of each kind of soda into your cup. Also their name is Modist Brewing. The most egotistical name ever. I loathe this brewery. Check out their beers; http://modistbrewing.com/beers/

Tsing-Tsao? Did they really misspell it that way on the menu?

I made the mistake of asking for a beer on Cotton Island in Malaysia. It was Tiger. And worse, it was only slightly chilled because they had only just turned the generators back on to power the coolers.

Mmmm, warm Tiger beer. Only slightly more tolerable than straight shots of fish sauce.

No, it was so long I just didn't remember how to spell it.

I believe it's Tsing Tao, ( pronounced Dao ) i'll have it in a Chinese place.
not bad, but just remember where it came from ... :beard:

My first Guinness was at a Chili's restaurant. Me and a German coworker were there and he talked me into it. We both almost spit it out, and we both sent them back. He commented he did not recall it tasting that awful.

I did not drink Guinness for 2.5 years after that, when a fellow homebrewer asked me what I had against Guinness. I described the taste (I still vividly recalled it) and he simply said 'it was spoiled'. Maybe the barkeep there was not cleaning the lines? /shrug

I tried it again and thought it was decent, and *then* I had it in Ireland. Totally different. I drank my weight in the stuff within a week's time...twice :D

Worst beer I've ever had in my entire life is from Ormond Brewing Company in Ormond Beach, FL. In the past 2-3 years they've had 3 different brewers and every time there has been no improvement.

I am a professional brewer in the same county as them so I do not wish to start anything and will end my comments here by saying: try them for yourself, I doubt you'll disagree.

Glad I didn't make the side trip to that brewery while I was visiting home recently. I am from DeBary and was very pleased with Central 28. How is the brewery in NSB?

A Tuborg Gold in Poland 1987 at a hotel in the southern part of the country.
The Tuborg Gold was from a can. I swear to god that the water, the beer or both had been stored in a rusty oil drum. This was truly the only undrinkable beer Ive ever had.

Glad I didn't make the side trip to that brewery while I was visiting home recently. I am from DeBary and was very pleased with Central 28. How is the brewery in NSB?

Central 28 is putting out some great liquid for sure. New Smyrna Beach brewing, I feel, is in the top 10 in the state. The owner Chris is a solid dude, very knowledgable and talented brewer, and one of the hardest working people I have met in this industry.

I am the brewer for the new Half Wall brewery that is going in the old pub 44 building in New Smyrna. Prior to this I brewed for Persimmon Hollow in DeLand. It's nice to hear from a local! Send me a pm next time you are in town and I'll show you our facility. We will be open in January.

I've had Guinness Stout in a bottle from a liquor store that wasn't bad. I just don't care much for it. This stuff in the can was swill, and that's being unkind to swill.

For years back in the 70's I tried to convince my friends that the beer that was supposedly "imported" was actually MADE FOR DISTRIBUTION IN THE US and WAS not "the real thing". I completely failed in that effort. It's only been since the "micro brewery" era that people have begun to understand what "imported" actually means.

How many of you remember the Budweiser "Malt Liquor" of the early '70s? On a bet, (the guy refused to believe Budweiser ever made a malt liquor - cost him $100), I called Budweiser and asked them about it to win the bet, then I asked them "Why did you quit making it?" Their response floored me: "We ran out of aluminum for the cans." I honestly replied, "Do you really expect me to believe that?" They said they did. In my opinion, that was the best mass-produced American beer I have ever tasted.

Paul

This. It was something like €0.70 for a pounder from the package stores in Belgium when I was a poor exchange student there after high school. Cheap enough that, time from time, you would consider it vs Jupiler or Maes.

8v2rZ9G.jpg

Tsing-Tao is actually one of the better macro beers in China. I've had most, and some are so bad they make an MGD look good.

I only ever saw one offering each in Tiawan and China. Both were super light lagers but a million times better than BMC.

The only beer I haven't finished is Upslope Brewing Thai White IPA. Sounded good but nope.

I thought Destihl's Here Gose Nothing tasted like vomit in a can. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but if not all the people giving it good reviews must be out of their minds.

So my opinion is meaningless unless "other people" also complained about it?

I have a naval response to that, but forum decorum prevents me from writing it. Imagine a one-fingered salute.

Paul

oh grow up. What I cant share my opinion too? Come on. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but hey go ahead and continue being super defensive thats ok I guess.

You posted this thread not me.

I'll probably get crap for this but I lived in Delaware and thought I would support Dog Fish where I could until I bought a sixer of Festina Peche. BLECH!!
Didn't like it, still don't like it - wound up giving it away to a neighbor who asked if I gave him some garbage beer. Bought it from Total Wine (when it was fresh and in season) if that counts for anything as well...

Chicago 312... and its not even close. I doubt I finished 1/5 of it... only beer I think i have never fully drank.

I'll probably get crap for this but I lived in Delaware and thought I would support Dog Fish where I could until I bought a sixer of Festina Peche. BLECH!!
Didn't like it, still don't like it - wound up giving it away to a neighbor who asked if I gave him some garbage beer. Bought it from Total Wine (when it was fresh and in season) if that counts for anything as well...

Winter Garden! If you come near New Smyrna at all shoot me a PM. The brewery is still in it's testing phase during build out and we'd love another local brewer's opinion on our core brand contenders

Upslope White Thai IPA
2016 Bleeding Heart from Grimm Brothers
?? Several Beers from Atwater
Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat

Back