phosphoric acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrolte

Reaction score
I have some ACS Grade phosphoric acid. Is it safe to use or do I need food (FCC) grade?

Oh, and is there a way to enter phosphoric acid in the EZ water calculator 3.0?

Hard to say; probably came from the same manufacturing facility, but wasn't tested to FDA (FCC is Fed Communication Commission, nearly as corrupt as FDA) specs. I'd give the manufacturer a call and see what they say - ask to talk to their quality folks.

Don't know the answer to your second question.

Hard to say; probably came from the same manufacturing facility, but wasn't tested to FDA (FCC is Fed Communication Commission, nearly as corrupt as FDA) specs. I'd give the manufacturer a call and see what they say - ask to talk to their quality folks.

Don't know the answer to your second question.

If you call them, they will tell you it's not food grade and should not be used as such. They have to say this by law, so don't ask if you can use it, just ask how it's different, or what impurities each has. You might even be able to find some of that info online. The food grade stuff may be harder to find real information on for comparison, as the FDA is looking out for you so you don't need to ask questions...
I suspect it would be okay to use, after all you don't need much of that stuff.

I don't think the EZ calc has anything for phosphoric acid (I could be wrong). When you start playing around with cool stuff like that; you generally have to do the math yourself.

Latest posts

Back