Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, it was meant to try and find out how is in the philly area. Like a "checkin". You're not too far away from me though. Was over at GG's last night.

Center City here. What water treatment facility delivers your water? I get mine from Queen Lane. I'd like to swap water reports if any of you has one.

I have no water report. We don't use our public water for much more than washing and cooking (boiling). I have been brewing with Deer Park.

Center City here. What water treatment facility delivers your water? I get mine from Queen Lane. I'd like to swap water reports if any of you has one.

How do I get a water quality report? Now that I have thought about it (for five minutes), it's probably a good idea.

How do I get a water quality report? Now that I have thought about it (for five minutes), it's probably a good idea.

http://www.phila.gov/water/Drinking_Water_Quali.html

Gives you annual averages for alkalinity, hardness and sodium based on where you are located in the city. If you aren't covered by this map you will have to look up your municipality's water source. There is no mention of Ca, Mg, S/SO4 or Cl, so this is inadequate. I have heard that some people have been able to call up their local water treatment facility and speak with an engineer who has access to these data, but you know how Philly is. I have not been able to reach a live person who even knows what I'm talking about. If you have more success in that endeavor, PM me with a phone number and person's name, please!

Of course the water can change quite a bit from treatment source to dispensing site, so many people just ship a sample off to Ward labs for analysis. I'm thinking of doing this eventually, but until then I'm mixing RO with dechlorinated tap water 50/50 and adding back CaCl2 and/ or gypsum as needed based on some numbers I got from a guy in another forum a long time ago. I can't say that it is working well for mash efficiencies, but it is working well for flavor.

I think you can get it for free from the water company. I brew with mine. I just run it through a whole house filter.

If anyone is interested, we have our homebrew meeting tonight (GLUB Club). We meet around 7:30-8 at Campbell's place in Chestnut Hill. Stop on by if you are interested! Ask the hostess where we are (should be upstairs).

I think you can get it for free from the water company. I brew with mine. I just run it through a whole house filter.

If anyone is interested, we have our homebrew meeting tonight (GLUB Club). We meet around 7:30-8 at Campbell's place in Chestnut Hill. Stop on by if you are interested! Ask the hostess where we are (should be upstairs).

I would, but I am having a cold. Thanks for the head's-up and please keep me posted!

My family loves From the Boot.

Yeah, their food is great. We go pretty often. I'm looking forward to the opening of Forest and Main... http://www.forestandmain.com/ They brew some really solid beers, the ambiance looks great and the menu promises to be good too.

This town has really become a good place to eat/ drink... and for being 0.9 square miles I've seen quite a few brew rigs on porches and patios.

Yeah, their food is great. We go pretty often. I'm looking forward to the opening of Forest and Main... http://www.forestandmain.com/ They brew some really solid beers, the ambiance looks great and the menu promises to be good too.

This town has really become a good place to eat/ drink... and for being 0.9 square miles I've seen quite a few brew rigs on porches and patios.

one of our new members is in Ambler.

I have a buddy out in York (he's a member) who has been talking about Forest and Main. His wife said they're open for business.

I'm in the Wynnewood area. We're on pickering creek water and I have their reports if anyone is interested.

I sat in on the mainline brewers meeting this month and am thinking of going again next.

all grain brewer, brewing for about 3 years now.

cheers

kgalle said:
I have a buddy out in York (he's a member) who has been talking about Forest and Main. His wife said they're open for business.

They're licensed and selling beer off premises but the restaurant hasn't opened yet.

I'm in the Wynnewood area. We're on pickering creek water and I have their reports if anyone is interested.

I sat in on the mainline brewers meeting this month and am thinking of going again next.

all grain brewer, brewing for about 3 years now.

cheers

I'm in Ardmore... I've been trying to lose weight, so I've been cutting back on drinking and haven't been to the last two MLB meetings. I'll be at the next one though... I'm bringing a Calypso SMASH for the tasting. Hopefully I run into you!

I'm also on the Pickering Creek Water and I also have the water reports. I got my results a few years ago though... are these amounts similar to yours?
It would be intersting to see if they vary over time/season. I got these amounts in the summer of 2010.

31 ppm Ca
8.4 ppm Mg
38 ppm Na
75 ppm Cl
37 ppm SO4
41 ppm CaCO3

stblindtiger said:
I'm in Ardmore... I've been trying to lose weight, so I've been cutting back on drinking and haven't been to the last two MLB meetings. I'll be at the next one though... I'm bringing a Calypso SMASH for the tasting. Hopefully I run into you!

I'm also on the Pickering Creek Water and I also have the water reports. I got my results a few years ago though... are these amounts similar to yours?
It would be intersting to see if they vary over time/season. I got these amounts in the summer of 2010.

31 ppm Ca
8.4 ppm Mg
38 ppm Na
75 ppm Cl
37 ppm SO4
41 ppm CaCO3

I'll bring my printouts this thurs and we can compare. However, I think I received mine in 2010 also!

Im in the Fishtown section of Philly, a mere 4 blocks from the new Barry's Homebrew location.

All-grain brewer, been brewing about 4 years

How was GG's? When you type "how", do you meant to type "who"?

I went to GG Brewers a few months ago before I saw Demetri Martin right across the street.

It was extremely disappointing, the beer was not good. I cant even say that it was ok, it was just plain bad. Every beer was lacking body, thin, no head, undercarbed and oxidized. Not sure what they are doing wrong but their process is pretty flawed.

It was the same experience in all 4 beers of theirs I tried.

I went to GG Brewers a few months ago before I saw Demetri Martin right across the street.

It was extremely disappointing, the beer was not good. I cant even say that it was ok, it was just plain bad. Every beer was lacking body, thin, no head, undercarbed and oxidized. Not sure what they are doing wrong but their process is pretty flawed.

It was the same experience in all 4 beers of theirs I tried.

I didn't want to be the one who said it.

Im glad Im not the only one that was displeased. Not to gloat, but my Homebrews, and Im sure most of yours, are much much better.

I don't even mind the farts I get from my brewskies. At least they're worth it.

It's a shame, because I really like the proprietors. They're super nice and I can book a gig whenever I want.

South Philly Brewer here, Brewing for about 2 years, all grain for a year.

anyone entering this battle of the homebrew shops competition from Philly Beer Scene mag?

South Philly Brewer here, Brewing for about 2 years, all grain for a year.

anyone entering this battle of the homebrew shops competition from Philly Beer Scene mag?

Yeah, I plan to, assuming the beer comes out ok. We'll see! Taking a gravity reading in a day or two.

I was bummed. Wife is out of the area for most of saturday. Looking forward to brewing until I saw the weather report. Here's hoping it turns between now and then!

I just dropped my entries off at Barry's on my lunch break. I brought an extra to have a sample with Nick and Jimmy.

I brewed a 4.2% ESB, easily under the 4.5% threshold.

I think the deadline is this saturday so you might want to get them in soon.

crap! then apparently I'm not. No way I'll have a beer carbed up by then!! Tried to make a "black saison" with the second runnings from my Stone 15th anniv clone. I'll check tonight, but if it finished out, should be about 3.5%

I'm not entering. Union Jack's in North Hills Saturday? Some buddies have booked a gig.

Roxborough represent. :mug:

FWIW Philadelphia has excellent brewing water for most styles. Really pale stuff I cut with some distilled, but for anything amber or darker, tap water (plus campden) is great! :tank:

I'm not entering. Union Jack's in North Hills Saturday? Some buddies have booked a gig.

That's our local watering hole. I'm right over behind the Springfield Highschool. Sat all depends on how much I get accomplished in the garage (trying to reorganize to get some more room out of it, brewing equip is taking over the woodworking equip).

Roxborough represent. :mug:

FWIW Philadelphia has excellent brewing water for most styles. Really pale stuff I cut with some distilled, but for anything amber or darker, tap water (plus campden) is great! :tank:
Ha! I used to live in Roxy, on Silverwood. Now i'm on the other side of the park, give or take a mile!

Back