Philadelphia signs Vick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll defer on the argument about whether or not they should've let him play or not.

But now I've got another NFL player to hate. I like having a few ********* thug aholes to hate. It's a bonus when they play for a division rival. Gives a good balance to the season as a fan. I'm just glad the Cowboys didn't sign him, though it wouldn't have surprised me given J Jones track record.

This will be an interesting season. I'm sure all the tards complaining about it will still watch him play, and the NFL and the chump-ass Eagles will benefit. Haw-haw! I went to school at VPI the same time Vick did, watched him in person in almost every home game that he played in. I may be a bit biased here, but I still maintain that Vick, while still culpable for his horrible actions, fell on his sword for a LOT of other people. I'm also a dog lover, I have two that I treat like family, and I design animal shelters for a living. The whole dogfighting thing makes me want to repeatedly hit Mike Vick in the nuts with a crowbar for a few hours. But I think there's more to the story in any case, and everyone who refuses to give the guy a second chance, and apparently also is clairvoyant and able to read Vick's thoughts, needs to just calm down. Personally, I think it's too soon, but he does deserve a chance at redemption at some point. The only reason he's back now is because of...DOLLA DOLLA BILLS Y'ALL!

MikeFlynn,
I don't have a problem with him earning the league minimum for 5 years. But, you know his participation is going to bring a tremendous amount of money into the league. Just as many people will be watching him to see him fail as to see him succeed. The majority of that money is going to go into the owner's pocket. Also, by paying him the minimum, you're giving them more money toward the salary cap. I say, pay him the minimum but charge the cap the average of the 2nd quarterbacks in the league. Take that money delta and divide it amoung the NFL charities. If he proves to be a starter, still pay him the minimum for 5 years but charge the cap the average for starting QB's. He gets a second chance, salary helps level the playing field, all the charities get a bump. An as a great byproduct, it will to cost the business money everytime one of the employees screw up, just like the real world.- Dwain

P.S. They already mandate minimum wage in the NFL, as well as free agency etc. all by virtue of the bargaining agreement.

Don't know how this works - the Eagles, and most other NFL teams, sell out months if not years in advance, how are more people going to be able to put more money the owners pockets?

And where do we stop with all this post-criminal case punishment? Vick's case was extreme, what he did was reprehensible. In accordance with the law, he has served his time. Is the NFL going to start handing out arbitrary punishments on top of what the courts have imposed? So a DUI is 1 month at min NFL wage, a parking ticket is a 5 minute suspension?

On a half serious note and keeping on topic...

I'm actually really surprised at the reaction that Eagles fans are apparently having. Sal Palentonio (sp?) was on Mike & Mike this morning saying that people were filing out of the Linc last night in outrage over the signing and that he saw some woman actually CRYING over it.

Seriously?!?!

Apparently the outrage from the fan base is about 100 times worse than anyone expected.

My wife and I treat our dogs like they are our sons. Hell, we sign our holiday cards in order of age, including our dogs (Me, SWMBO,first son, dog, second son). But I think people are way overreacting to this whole thing. (JUST MY OPINION).

He was convicted, served his time and it is overwith. Personally, I don't believe what he did deserves a life sentence, barring him from regaining some fraction of the life he had before the crime.

I was at the Linc last night (till half time anway, it is only pre-season) and the guys I was with are die-hard fans and were excited about it. Like a lot of people, they don't particularly like McNabb (must say I do, but I'm English, what do I know) and they think that this will be a really spur for the team.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we also had to have a discussion with one of these guys as to why we need to have paper money. But that's a bit off-topic I suppose.

From the Associated Press report:
“The free agent NFL quarterback … told a crowd of about 250 to ‘use me as an example for your dreams.’ Vick also told them that after accomplishing his goals he ‘allowed someone who didn’t have my best interests at heart to take all that away from me,’ according to a release from the school.”

Remorseful that he let someone else take it all away from him. He didn't do anything wrong, I guess.

It's a shame that he can't just go ahead and say "I did this and it was wrong, I'm sorry". Seems like no-one is apologizing anymore, there's always someone else who did it, some desease that caused me to do this. Really annoys me. Come on people, take some responsibility for your actions.

as an Eagles fan i am disgusted at my teams decision. i thought it was a sick joke when i heard this

I don’t get it. Why invite the distraction? He’s not much of a quarterback. Is it worth the 2 or 3 wildcat plays a game?

Vick has a career 53.8% completion percentage. Has thrown for 71 TDs with 52 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 75.8

Vick Highlights:
2002 With Vick healing slower then expected frustrations began to boil over as Coach Dan Reeves questioned his toughness. 9-6-1 (Dan Reeves fired)
2003 Michael Vick who had ordinary passing numbers with 2,313 yards passing and 14 Touchdown Passes. 5-11 (Wade Phillips fired)
2004 Michael Vick struggled in the second half with just 2,412 yard passing and 15 TD passes with 13 interceptions. While Vick disappointed RB Warrick Dunn was resurgent rushing for a team high 1,416 yards. 11-5
2005 Falcons appeared to be one of the top teams in the NFC, when suddenly they went into a tailspin losing to the lowly Detroit Lions 30-14, as Michael Vick struggled. Vick would struggle again the following week with three turnovers in a 17-13 loss to the lowly Cleveland Browns at the Georgia Dome With the elder Jim Mora calling Michael Vick a Coach killer. 8-8
2006 As the news of the indictment came out at the start or training camp, Vick was ordered to stay away. 7-9

Hate what he did. But I think he's done his time and deserves a second chance. He was the highest paid player in the NFL and had something like a $100M contract...now he's spent two years in prison and is allegedly bankrupt...and has a scarlet letter for life.

He's fought dogs since he was a child. I'm sure he didn't feel was as bad as many other people think it is. I know this is no excuse but in my mind it decreases the heinousness of what he did...because for the longest time in his life it was just what people did (in his world). Kids are easily influenced and he obv had some terrible, terrible influences.

I agree with MikeM in that he really wasn't that great of a QB. But fun to watch at times to be sure.

Also was surprised how much the Atlanta fans supported him throughout and the racial divide of that support. He was a god in ATL and to many people there...he still is.

Maybe I just feel better about myself if instead of wishing a life of suffrage on another human being...I'm willing to forgive and hope he can turn it around.

I was at the Linc last night (till half time anway, it is only pre-season) and the guys I was with are die-hard fans and were excited about it. Like a lot of people, they don't particularly like McNabb (must say I do, but I'm English, what do I know) and they think that this will be a really spur for the team.
Never understood the hate for McNabb in Philly. Actually to some degree I do; I think many fans were outraged when they drafted him and shouted so from atop the mount. During the years since...McNabb has made them all look like utter fools. People usually don't like to be made fools of. McNabb is an excellent QB...one of the best in the league.

Plus you have to be a card-carrying member of the NDS (National *****ewanker Society) to even be allowed to be a Dallass fan.
I got grandfathered in...yea that's it. But in '95 when Jax got the Jags I decided that the Jags were gonna need all the support they could get (and that was an under-estimation ;)) so I decided I'd be a Jags fan first (I lived there at the time). Still like the Cowboys but JJ is testing my patience. JJ + 10yr = AD

Don't know how this works - the Eagles, and most other NFL teams, sell out months if not years in advance, how are more people going to be able to put more money the owners pockets?

Most of the real money is in merchandizing, jersey sales, various other paraphenalia and television audience. One of the things that decides the owner's share of television revenues is audience share when their teams play. I read the number one time about the dollar amount that Vick's jersey brought in to the NFL. I don't remember how much it was, But I was stunned. - Dwain

Oh yeah, c'mon Evan!, there's plenty of room on the Cowboy bandwagon. When you're America's team, you have to have plenty of seating! - Dwain

Never understood the hate for McNabb in Philly. Actually to some degree I do; I think many fans were outraged when they drafted him and shouted so from atop the mount. During the years since...McNabb has made them all look like utter fools. People usually don't like to be made fools of. McNabb is an excellent QB...one of the best in the league.

I got grandfathered in...yea that's it. But in '95 when Jax got the Jags I decided that the Jags were gonna need all the support they could get (and that was an under-estimation ;)) so I decided I'd be a Jags fan first (I lived there at the time). Still like the Cowboys but JJ is testing my patience. JJ + 10yr = AD

I agree he is good leaningtowards Great. But he is vastly overrated.

Oh yeah, c'mon Evan!, there's plenty of room on the Cowboy bandwagon. When you're America's team, you have to have plenty of seating! - Dwain

Meh. You win a few super bowls in the 90's and do little else since then, and you're still considered "america's team"? The only ones who refer to the Assboys as "america's team" anymore are Assboy fans themselves. Everyone else just calls them "America's Assboys".

Meh. You win a few super bowls in the 90's and do little else since then, and you're still considered "america's team"? The only ones who refer to the Assboys as "america's team" anymore are Assboy fans themselves. Everyone else just calls them "America's Assboys".

kinda like Notre Dame football.....even though, sadly I'm still a fan. Of Notre Dame. Not the American's Assboys.

Why? WTF makes them "America's Team"? Tony Romo? F*ck that ******. They're just another team in the hardest division in the NFL. Just another hurdle for Jason Campbell and Jim Zorn.

+1 on this. "Americas Team" is just a marketing thing invented by the Cowboys owners. When you self-declare yourself something like that, it's just a joke. I still have the video of Romo bobbling that hold on the kick that knocked them out of the playoffs a few years ago. I love it! One of the most overrated guys in sports.

I can't believe that Michael Vick is going to play for NFL again. I can't believe it. I am sooo pist about it right now.

Was anyone really surprised? He is nothing more than a ticket seller at this point. People will come to the games to either cheer or boo him. But really.... the NFL is full of ex-cons. People talk of how he is such a great player.... well he USED to be a great player. 2 years in jail....it'll take a while to see if he stills has anything to offer. The Eagles orginization is well known as a team full of controversy (from the coach's family to player problems...see T.O. etc...) Didn't surprise me at all that the foolish Eagles signed him....

Jesus christ...The NFL is for football...grown men who go out day after day and beat the ever-living f*ck out of each other. He's not going to be teaching your children at school or anything. Everyone gets all self-righteous all of a sudden, as if the NFL is some kind of bastion of class and moral values. It's not. If that's what you're looking for from it, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Back