Phenols from High Fermentation Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotputman

Reaction score
I just got the results back from my first Homebrew competition. I entered three beers (two of which were not my best efforts, but all I had on hand to enter) with scores coming back as 29 (black ipa), 27(pumpkin amber ale), and 20(amber ale) for the three beers.

All the judges mentioned phenolic (spicy, clove) aroma and flavor and I definitely taste spicy in my beers. The suggestions seemed to say that it could have been due to high fermentation temps. These beers were all brewed in 90 plus degree weather and I had a hard time getting the temp down before I pitched (didn't have a chiller at the time).

Just wanted to see if anyone else has suggestions for how to fix spicy phenol aroma and flavor, and is there something I can do to my beer to dull that taste as I finish it? All these beers were made with yeast that was washed from other batches.........could it be the yeast itself?

Thanks in advance for any help

I just got the results back from my first Homebrew competition. I entered three beers (two of which were not my best efforts, but all I had on hand to enter) with scores coming back as 29 (black ipa), 27(pumpkin amber ale), and 20(amber ale) for the three beers.

All the judges mentioned phenolic (spicy, clove) aroma and flavor and I definitely taste spicy in my beers. The suggestions seemed to say that it could have been due to high fermentation temps. These beers were all brewed in 90 plus degree weather and I had a hard time getting the temp down before I pitched (didn't have a chiller at the time).

Just wanted to see if anyone else has suggestions for how to fix spicy phenol aroma and flavor, and is there something I can do to my beer to dull that taste as I finish it? All these beers were made with yeast that was washed from other batches.........could it be the yeast itself?

Thanks in advance for any help

Controlling fermentation temperatures (keeping the fermenting beer below 70 degrees) should fix it.

If not, another common cause of phenols is from chlorine or chloramine in the brewing water. If you're using tap water, you can correct it by treating for chloramines in the brewing water.

I just judged a competition over the weekend and it was absolutely amazing how many beers had phenolic off-flavors. We had a miserably hot summer so I think some of it was fermentation temperature. As far as the suggestion from Yooper on the chloride and chloramines, I was told by the most winning brewer in the Mid-South series this year that he was told a few years ago that using a campden tablet would precipitate the chlorine and chloramine out. He said he hasn't had phenol off-flavors sense. I personally fashioned a portable filter from a Whirpool whole house filter that I use to get the chlorine out of my brew water.

Thanks for the input! Is campden usually something you can get at your LHBS?

Yes. They are campden tablets, also known as potassium metabisulfite. They're cheap. I'm not sure of the dosage for sure, but I think one tablet will treat up to 20 gallons. Crush the campden tablet, stir it into the brewing water and you're all set!

Back