pH of soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
So I have been carbing homemade seltzer at about 25-30psi in a corny keg that sits in my kegerator. It has been working pretty well for almost a year now.

Lately we have found our seltzer to be a bit harsh on our stomachs. I know the carbonic acid produced will lower the pH but didn't know if there is a safe range to aim for? Can soda be produced that is too acidic?

Thanks

Maybe try a lower pressure to reduce the carbonic acid? I actually keep mine at the same pressure as my beer about 12psi and 35-36 degrees. My wife and I actually prefer this over the store bought now because of the lower carb. Also, do you know the pH of the water you are using? I use spring water with a pH around 6. Maybe play with the mineral content to adjust pH if needed?

Many people use RO water with a bit of bicarbonate (baking soda) for their seltzer to mimic commercial seltzer. You don't need much at all (maybe 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons) but you don't want to add it if you don't know the content of your water. If you're using tap water, for example, it could be related to that.

Thanks folks.

I was wondering about the starting pH of my water. It has been something I have neglected even in brewing. I have always understood that adjusting the pH of your mash helps to unlock more flavor in your beer.
For soda, I was concerned that the carbonation, plus a questionably low pH water (well water in my case) could be giving me a more acidic product than you buy commercially.

One odd thing that occurred once before. I had a keg of soda that always foamed up when poured from the tap. It did this through the whole keg and so I figured it was some dirt or gunk in the keg that didn't get cleaned out. When I cleaned the keg, the threads of both posts had a lot of greasy-feeling white residue. It took some scrubbing, as the normal Oxy soak wouldn't remove it.

I guess I'll pick up a pH meter.

Latest posts

Back