PH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
So, I bought one of those cheap PH meters on Amazon.... PH Meter for Water Hydroponics Digital PH Tester Pen 0.01 High Accuracy Pocket Size with 0-14 PH Measurement Range for Household Drinking, Pool and Aquarium (Blue): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and after FINALLY getting the thing to calibrate according to their crappy directions, it still reads around 6.75 or so (inconsistent) on my RO water. I know my RO system is in good shape, and all filters were changed less than six months ago.

Bottom line, I don't trust the thing AT ALL.

My question is this.....does anyone have any recommendations on a decent, reliable PH meter that is NOT in the $300 range? There has got to be something out there at a reasonable price....

TIA for any input....

Lon

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question? Perhaps the question you need to ask is, "do I really need a pH meter". I'd say that there are many more important tools to consider ahead of a pH meter.

Put a splash of vinegar in your RO water. Then it should be able to land on a reading somewhat lower, maybe 5 or 6. Any pH meter will have a hard time reading pH when there's no electrolytes in the water. Measurement of pH of distilled water is basically impossible, and RO water is nearly as clean as distilled.

As dmtaylor mentioned, you'll have a tough time getting a good reading in RO water, which is good because that means your RO system is working. Only way I'd test my meter is by using the standard calibration solutions.

This is the pH meter I use and it works great. I use it for brewing, my aquarium, and checking soil pH.

https://a.co/d/7Cdsu9B

Calibrate your pH probe with a standard solution such as pH 4.00 or pH 7.00, and compare the measurement to the standard value. For brewing (as opposed to scientific research), if the difference is within 0.05 pH, the meter is in good condition and a calibration is not a must at the point. If the difference is over 0.05 pH, then a recalibration is necessary and highly recommended. I also recommend storing the probe wet. I have a black cap on mine that I fill with saltwater before I put it away each time.

Calibrate your pH probe with a standard solution such as pH 4.00 or pH 7.00, and compare the measurement to the standard value. For brewing (as opposed to scientific research), if the difference is within 0.05 pH, the meter is in good condition and a calibration is not a must at the point. If the difference is over 0.05 pH, then a recalibration is necessary and highly recommended. I also recommend storing the probe wet. I have a black cap on mine that I fill with saltwater before I put it away each time.

Is saltwater as good as storage solution? When I asked the seller of my 8689 about using anything else he just about stroked out.

I've always kept my pH probe submerged in 3.65% salt solution but recently I've read that it's not a good idea to keep the probe submerged all the time. I'm intending to research the topic a little more but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am looking at a pH meter. I saw these two on Amazon. Decent reviews I guess. Other than temperature, which I already have a digital gauge for, any reason to go with the higher priced? Any other recommendations?

Milwaukee 102 $121

Milwaukee 102 $153

I use this Milwaukee ph meter. It is very accurate with proper calibration and also has temperature control which is great when brewing for a little over $120.

https://milwaukeeinstruments.com/milwaukee-MW102-pro-ph-meter-with-temperature-probe/
I really recommend this one. It is bulkier than pen style ones, but it reads and calibrates fast. Another big benefit is that it uses a standard BNC connector for the probe, so you can shop around for any replacement probe with a BNC connector and an Ag/AgCl reference junction.

What I'm hearing is that the probes will last about 1.5 - 2 years, but they are very reasonable.

I have indeed been getting a solid two years per sensor before they start to slow. And of all the good quality meters the pH60 sensor replacements are among the least expensive, way less expensive than for my Hach Pocket Pro Plus or the Hanna 98128 that was my first pH meter.

I learnt the other day there's a special cleaning fluid that you should use on the pH meter.
Yup. I use the Apera cleaner https://aperainst.com/electrode-cleaning-solution-8-oz as well as their storage solution https://aperainst.com/polymer-ph-electrode-probe-storage-solution-4oz. Keeps the meter responsive...

Cheers!

I just got one for Xmas, first meter. Very happy with it so far.

What I'm hearing is that the probes will last about 1.5 - 2 years, but they are very reasonable.
Just received the PH60 a few days ago. Looking forward to finally seeing if water adjustments are in order. Going in blind so far!

I have two meters and often wonder " why do I bother to check".
Useful for post boil adjusts and monitoring Philly sour ferments.

Back