PET Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday at 4:02 PM
I'm looking for a couple 5 gallon PET carboys to use as semi-long term bulk aging with my ciders and meads. I have a 3 gallon Better Bottle that I've used for years and I really like it. But the 5 gallon size seems to not be in stock anywhere. There are other "brands" (no name) more readily available, but I question the materials' suitability and O2 permeability as compared to the proven Better Bottle.

They need to be clear with a narrow neck so I can fill them up to the top and eliminate head space. Typical bulk age time is 1-2 years before bottling. So, what I'm asking is are there any real significant differences between the PET jugs that are out there, and does anyone have recommendations one way or the other?

TIA

I use 1.5 or 2 liter PET soda bottles. Works great. Cheap and cheerful. But I don't make huge amounts of cider.

Back