Perry fermenting strangely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am fermenting perry from fresh juiced pears off my tree. After juicing I hit them with Campen tabs for 24 hrs, the pitched notthingham yeast, dry.
  • nothing looked like it was happened after 18 hr
  • I pitched more yeast + yeast nutrient
  • again looks like nothing after another 18 hrs
I was really getting worried that something was wrong. But decided to check SG. It started at 1.057, now it has dropped to 1.016! But there is no krausen, no change in appearance at all. I've never seen a ferment that has no visible evidence of fermentation AT ALL. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

By refractory reading it seems to be progressing just right. I plan to move it to a carboy and add some pear concentrate I made last week, to boost the ABV and pear taste. But I am just

Airlock or lid might not be sealed, so the bubbles are escaping in a less dramatic fashion?

I've had some ciders with very little to no krausen. Isn't krausen formed by yeast/protein interactions? Not as much protein in apples.

the primary was in a bucket with saran wrap, so I was not looking for bubbles. But normally there is visible signs of ferment, krausen or something. This did not even make a sound or smell when I stirred it.

But now that it is in a jug under airlock, the activity is obvious, bubbles every few min.

Back