Perlick Restoration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicklesr

Reaction score
Well. I guess I'm going to start kegging my beer.

While perusing Craigslist for an old fridge to store bottles/yeast/hops and to lager in, i found this beauty. It's an old Perlick 3 tap keg fridge. It came with all the tap hoses, co2, and kegging lines.

It is however, a mess on the bottom. The inside of the cabinet is dirty, but not rusted. The bottom layer is just trashed. I'm going to work and restore it.

For those of you who dont know, the design is pretty simple on these. It is created as a box inside a box, with insulation between the two layers. There is an external compressor (or a "condensing unit") that feeds coolant to a fan heat exchanger on the top of the inside.

I plan to remove the soggy/nappy/rotted insulation and rusted bottom cover and replace them with some new insulation and a plywood bottom. I want to take the tower apart, and clean each faucet/tap individually. Does anyone have an idea of a guide to taking these taps apart?

Obviously, I'll also clean the inside cabinet to the best of my abillity.

These pictures are from the Clist ad. By the time I got the beast home last night, it was snowing and dark. I'll take more pictures tonight.

I can't wait to get started on this project! PLease let me know if you have any comments/questions/ideas!

keg_1.jpg

keg_2.jpg

These are nice units and they are designed so that everything is serviceable, even the door gaskets.

I've not seen this tower but my best guess is the rear panel is removeable.

Yup! The tower has standard screws holding the casing of the tower on. I should be able to take that apart.

To replace the bottom; I'm thinking a 2x4 brace, with solid foam insulation, then a peice of plywood to rest on.

Nice Pick up.

I assume the 3 is for half barrel kegs. How many taps you thinking you'll add? Out of curiosity.

Rdann nailed it. It was made for 3 - 1/2 barrel kegs.

I'm thinking that I'm going to keep it at 3 taps for now. In a perfect world, I'd like to have 1/3 set up for bottles, 1/3 for 3 corny's, and 1/3 for a lagering chamber. I know I'll need to segment off the lagering chamber, and allow it to be slightly warmer than the bottles/keg side.

Which brings me to more pics...

The first picture is of the bottom after tearing out all the rusted steel, and rotten insulation. I don't have a picture of that, because it was gross and I wanted to get it out ASAP... Or because I forgot to take one.

I decided to cut off the bottom 5" of the back wall as well. It had started to rust, and was a thin gauge steel. I plan to cover this with some of the building materials I'll describe later. You can see the awesome work in picture 2.

I thought I might have to replace 100% of the insulation batting, but once I got a few inches up in the back wall, it looks clean and fresh. You can see what I mean in picutre 3!

Bottom_CleanedOut.jpg

Bottom_TrimSteel.jpg

Bottom_Insulation.jpg

As for the replacement bottom, I'm just going to use some 2x4s, 1.5" solid foam insulation, and HardieBacker.

The picture below has the layout for the bottom. The HardieBacker will enclose the bottom fully. I'll also be using GreatStuff expanding foam to seal all cracks and crevices. Once I get the bottom back together, I'll flip it right side up and start the arduous task of cleaning out the inside!

Slide2.jpg

Looks like a nice restoration project. You can clean and polish up that stainless with some Barkeepers' Friend. Make it look perty!

Nightly Update!

Framed out the bottom, insulated it, sprayed some foam, then trimmed it off. Just about to put the HardieBacker on!

photo (2).jpg

With HardieBacker and 150lb swivel castors on! Need to trim the L a bit...

Next step is flipping it back up, and removing all lines/fittings/taps and CLEANING!

photo (1).jpg

You notcied the price huh? Yep, 275$.

It came with 2 sanke keg taps, all the lines, fittings, taps... and a power drill (?). The guy said everything in the cooler is included!

Even if no-one is reading this, I'm still going to post pictures. :mug:

Here's day 3 of the resotration... CLEANUP! YAY!

Here are some "before" pictures.

dirtyL-insidebottom.jpg

dirtyL-insideTop.jpg

dirtyL-insideTop2.jpg

A bunch of people have subscribed and see the pictures everyday. Keep posting, we love this kind of DYI stuff! lol

Dude that is a deal I want one for 275 where do I get one.

Find a guy who just bought an old VFW post, and has no idea what to do with all the equipment.

A bunch of people have subscribed and see the pictures everyday. Keep posting, we love this kind of DYI stuff! lol

Appreciate it man. I was really just kidding about no-one looking.

I'll be polishing up the outside with some bartenders freind, doing a final bleach of the inside, and using silicone to seal the edges tonight. Might even carb up some cleaning solution and run it thro the taps.

It's going to be used for the superbowl! :tank:

Awesome job - and you did it in 4 days!! Have you given it a test drive to see if its cooling? I'd like to stop by and have a cold one!

It's a superbowl miracle! Just like if my Eagles ever make it back there....

Kelitore, I'm in Albany NY. IF you're going to visit, I reccomend waiting until the spring thaw!

Jeep, I'll have some updates tonight when I get to polishing!

By the way:

It says Model #: C5930ss

I can't find any information on that model anywhere!

Eventually you are going to want to replace those old taps with forward sealing ones, it doesn't take long for those to get gummed up and you won't be able to pour beer.

Nice find with that cooler but just wait till you get your first electric bill....;)

Thanks for the invite - it might be difficult to get there as I'm in Houston (also an Eagles fan). Congrats again on the project.

Back