Perlick faucets don't fit shanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mcsuck

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
92
Reaction score
2
Location
Nashville
I upgraded to perlick faucets and went to screw them on the shanks tonight. Two of the 4 faucets fit on any shank and the other two would not screw all the way in. When drawing liquid off of these two, it sprays everywhere. Luckily, I was drawing from a keg of StarSan not beer, but a mess nonetheless. I did a search on here and it seems this was a problem in the past. They said the teeth on the faucet didn't fit on the teeth in the shank, so they used a dremel to grind the teeth and then it worked. Well I would really prefer to not use a dremel on my brand new faucets. I attached pics of the faucet that fits and one of the one that doesn't. You can see that the faucet that sprays does not screw in all the way, there is a bit of threading showing and liquid comes out of the holes. Anyone have any suggestions.

DefectiveFaucet.jpg


Workingfaucet.jpg
 

sniperd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
302
Reaction score
65
Location
New Hampshire
I've got 4 faucets (2 stout, and 2 perlick) and fortunately I didn't have any issues. Something I did when I screwed them in (I'm giving this idea about a 1% chance to work) is used o-ring lube on any rubber I could find. So that little part where the shank goes in seems to touch an o-ring (I think).

Again, probably won't work, but hey, better then nothing. I know I've fixed a few kegs with just a little lube so might be worth trying.
 
OP
Mcsuck

Mcsuck

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
92
Reaction score
2
Location
Nashville
I ended up sort of fixing it. So it is definitely an incompatibility between the teeth of the faucet and the shank. The faucets that fit nicely, slid right onto the shank and into the teeth whereas the other two only went halfway onto the shank. What I ended up doing was jam the faucet on to the shank really hard before screwing it in, then screw everything together. This seemed to fix things enough to work without spraying everywhere. This shouldn't have to happen, but that is the way I fixed it.
 
Top