Perle Columbus citra what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
So I have a lot of pearle, Columbus, and citra hops in my freezer and want to make an IPA tonight but not sure how best to use them. Would love some help. What would be a good hop schedule with these three?

How much of each do you have?

Columbus definitely best for bittering, but it also has good aroma properties

Citra aroma and flavor, no question

Perle isnt really an IPA hop, if you have 2oz or more of it, I might use that for bittering so you can save columbus to work with the citra

Could go for a sort of English/American hybrid IPA. The Perle would provide the English hop character while Columbus and Citra will give you the west coast citrus. Use the Perle to bitter, then some of it at like 5 minutes, then go nuts at flame out with Columbus and Citra.

I have 2 oz perle an a pound of Columbus and citra. I knew perle was the wildcard and not common in IPAs but kinda wanted to use them before they go bad.

dude use Columbus to bitter, then I would use Citra/Columbus for flavor and aroma, then use Citra, a little bit of Columbus and the Perle in the dry hop. why not?

I could just drop the perle and do Columbus for buttering and citra for aroma and flavor?

Use the Perle in a stout.

How old are they? How stored? I use hops well over a year old and cannot detect any problems. Vacuum bagged and frozen.

From Hop Union:

Storage Stability

80 - 85% alpha remaining after 6 months

Columbus, black pepper, licorice, and citrus aroma. Citra, citrus and tropical aroma. Perle, herbal, spicy and floral.
Perle does not seem to fit (to me).

But experimentation... How else do you come up with new beers?

Thanks for the my hop schedule was
1 oz Columbus @ 60
.50 Columbus @ 20
.25 citra @20
1 oz citra @ 5
.50. Citra @ flame out
Think I'm gonna dry hop with citra and a little Columbus.

I thought I had seen that SNPA has Perle as a 30 minute addition, or so. That might be something to consider for your IPA.

Back