Peppery and Spicy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I am looking for a yeast that will give me a nice spic and peppery flavor similar to Bells Oberon. I guess I could use a Saison yeast, but not sure I can ferment in the temps required. The max I can obtain is close to 70. Any ideas on what to do besides adding pepper to the beer which would probably taste odd.

Take a look at WY 3711. Temperature range is 65° to 77°F. Most pepper and spice flavor is when fermented at the low end of the range. This yeast is featured in Northern Brewers petite French saison. This beer usually finishes at 1.003, for me, without raising the temperature as fermentation finishes.

Are you looking to brew a particular style? You might search for an Oberon clone recipe to see what others have used. Bell's uses their house ale strain, which they say adds fruity character. I'd guess the spiciness comes from the hops they use, and maybe a higher fermentation temperature.

If you want a spicy/peppery yeast character, saison (really dry!) or maybe a Trappist/Abbey strain (less dry) would be your best bets. For a saison, Wyeast 3711 is pretty peppery and doesn't require high temps to finish.

Anecdotally, the highest FG at which any of my beers with 3711 have ever finished is 1.006, but usually they finish lower, so keep that in mind.

Pepper doesn't taste that odd, I use it along with ginger in my saisons. For yeast WLP530 has some "peppery" notes and I find Saaz hops do as well.

Perhaps I'll add some saaz and try the WY3711. That may do the trick. The style is not really a saison, just something I am experimenting with adding wheat and almost making it a American wheat style with the pepper and spice characteristics.

Check out T-58 dry yeast. I just brewed a beer with it and the temp never went above 65 F. The resulting beer has a very noticeable pepper flavor.

Last time I used t-58 all I could taste was banana and clove, which is fine, but not sure I am going for that taste with this one. It was fermented around 68.

I've actually used pepper and lemon zest in a Hefeweizen and it turned out great. I used a white labs yeast for Hefe.

WLP 550 is very peppery, but not as estery as 3711 French Saison. 3711 is an amazing yeast that actually works, unlike the DuPont strain that needs to be blended unless you want to ferment at 88 degrees and drink a total phenol bomb.

Is WLP550 he white labs version of WY3711? I think what I am going for seems to be in line with the French vs Belgian strains?

Is WLP550 he white labs version of WY3711? I think what I am going for seems to be in line with the French vs Belgian strains?

Looking at the Mr. Malty website, WLP550 is Achouffe, 3711 is Brasserie Thiriez.

Edit: I'm assuming the site is correct, but who really knows? Also, where each brewery sourced their yeast isn't listed, so some borrowing/stealing may have occurred at some point. I'm just listing what's on the website.

I also read that some saison strains have an odd taste, probably why it is called the saison

No. Sorry to be confusing. At some point someone suggested 3711 for peppery, and I was suggesting the 550 would be better, unless you want that phenol.

Not familiar with either so I guess what you recommend sounds like the way to go? Just want to be able to ferment at 68-70 with no issues

I am looking for a yeast that will give me a nice spic and peppery flavor similar to Bells Oberon. I guess I could use a Saison yeast, but not sure I can ferment in the temps required. The max I can obtain is close to 70. Any ideas on what to do besides adding pepper to the beer which would probably taste odd.

You might want to invest in a brew belt. I ferment in the basement which gets quite cool here in the winter months. With the belt i have no problem reaching 75F. As it happens I just finished a saison last week using 3711.

I just found a new product at my local lhbs. Naturally Flavored Candi syrup. everything from ginger to chocolate, probably 15 varieties. I got the black pepper. . Uses 3 kinds of pepper. Can't wait to try it in a saison with 3711

I would be interested in how it comes out. I used the cherry, peach and blueberry syrups in the past, not that good. I suppose you could also make a pepper extract by adding s bunch of peppercorns to vodka and letting it sit? That is how I made a bacon extract.

Don't rule out using Pepper. The gal that works at High Gravity did a peppercorn Saison several years ago. I still think it may be the best thing I've ever put in my mouth....

Take a look at the thread titled "Cottage House Saison". I think that is the exact title. Use of pepper is in a few of the posts.

I find Duvel yeast nice and spicy. French Saison fits that description too.

I wouldn't describe 550 as spicy, it's more fruity to my tastebuds and actually quite clean and mellow.

Warming a brew is pretty easy with a big bucket and a cheap aquarium heater.

I would be interested in how it comes out. I used the cherry, peach and blueberry syrups in the past, not that good. I suppose you could also make a pepper extract by adding s bunch of peppercorns to vodka and letting it sit? That is how I made a bacon extract.

Good to know. The brew shop had a ginger blonde that was made with the ginger syrup, and it was really solid. Looking forward to trying the pepper syrup!

Latest posts

Back