Pellicle vs Starter liquid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers.

I would like to discuss the topic of a SCOBY which is often misinterpreted. As far as I know the SCOBY is only the starter liquid as the microbial activity is much more than found when looking at the "mat". Does anyone know where this misunderstanding began?

If the latter is correct does anyone know what the function is of adding a few pellicles from previous batches?

Hi,

I can not tell for the historical part (would be interesting tough) but it was experienced you don't actually need a pellicle to start a new batch. I still throw one in mine mostly because I don't have that much starter liquid (I prefer to drink the produced kombucha than saving it ;-) ) and still think it contains a lot of yeast and bacteria that can help to jump start the production. I have read that the pellicle also serves as a protective layer but I am not convinced by that explanation.

Does anyone know where this misunderstanding began?
The government? Aliens? Health nuts who don't know anything about microbiology?

does anyone know what the function is of adding a few pellicles from previous batches?
The pellicle does contain microbes, and since it isn't useful for anything else, you may as well re-pitch it.

I believe that since all my bottles grow new scoby's , it's not necessary to pitch a scoby into a new batch, but I do so I only need ~8 oz of starter fluid.

SCOBY is the culture, so it is necessary to pitch the SCOBY into each new batch.

Pitching the pellicle (film) is unnecessary. :)

Back