Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solera # 3.. Bug County 2013.
100_2329.jpg

Petrus Pale clone 18 months. (lots of various dregs built up)
100_2330.jpg

So I had about a dozen or so bottles that I had stepped up which all had grown one sort of a pellicle or another, so I decided it was time to add them to my bug farm the other night. Here is what it looked like looking straight down the mouth of the 5L flask prior to adding the new bottles (basically the pellicle that had grown from the first couple of additions:

iowaeql.jpg

And then here is what it had morphed into about 18 hours after I added this next round of 12 bottles:

0G0Gt83.jpg

sd5VrsE.jpg

sooooo.... my Over Blended Mess part 2 started fermenting again and lost that pellicle. I added some extremely under fermented mead before I took the pics, and now it's got a small krausen again.

anyone seen anything like this???
someone got me paranoid, and ive never seen anything quite like it

image_zpsuqvgkxrs.jpg

it's a polyester bag i use generally for my BIAB, this time it had cherries in it..

this is a blend of a few different beers,
i then barrel aged it.
I then added cherries..

about 5 days ago i had a few ltrs in the bottom of a keg i poured in... and then i looked yesterday and i have this!!!

i had someone mention Botulism :(
ive had someone mention it could have need the Pellicle moving when i added the bottom the latest addition (didnt syphon, just poured in the top)
AND
yours sounds good...
but with the Botulism mentioned, im paranoid now... damn it..
ive sampled from the tap previously and tastes funky but not bad..

You aren't going to get botulism in finished beer, unless you waited two weeks to pitch into wort you kept at 80 degrees. It's an infection for sure though.

this is well fermented out.. it was never fermented @ 80, and since has been at room temp with a fair amount of fluctuation.

Infections i dont mind.. i can live with that.
From what i was aware beer was hard to ruin (as in make you physically sick).

Still keen to know what it could be.. still feel a bit weary

Don't worry about botulism. What kind of beer is it? Is it supposed to be sour/funky? Or is this an unintentional infection?

It's definitely a pellicle in there.

It is meant to be a sour/funky brew.. i got it from a mate. Think it was a BIPA...Wasnt to happy with the flavour.. oak barrel aged for 10 days and then added some cherries that were sitting in there about 8 weeks.
I would say it has come from the cherries...

just spoke to the guy who made the original beer and he told me he pitched the yeast the next day (well thinks so anyway)

anyone seen anything like this???
someone got me paranoid, and ive never seen anything quite like it

image_zpsuqvgkxrs.jpg

That looks like a bath mat that your beer exploded on. It is a healthy pellicle. Of what I do not know. Worry not about botulism, nothing pathogenic can survive in beer.

havent tasted it in a about a week, put some extra additions in since last time i tried it so i couldnt say atm...
will have a taste tonight/soon

Last sample the oak was very present, cherries have made a slight sourness...
added the bottom of a pretty hoppy pale ale so see how it tastes now..

i experiment a lot with blending beer, i blend and split and blend and split etc etc until im happy with the taste..
i hate ditching beer, this is a good way to stop doing that.. not so technical but with some oak barrels and additions it is fun.

My "kitchen sink" Sour Stout (coconut, cocoa, bourbon, oak, raspberries, vanilla, coffee... at least so far :D)

I want to rub that onto me while I drink of that.

"It grows the pellicle in the bucket. It does this whenever it ferments or it gets the mash paddle again. GROW THE FLOCCIN' PELLICLE IN THE BUCKET!!!"

Top:
8% english ale (seal on lid of bottle broke) be interested to taste this in a couple of months
Bottom:
Same brew as i posted before and was paranoid about... 4 days later (after removing the bag)

edit: this is prob my fave page on this forum now..

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

This one formed in my bret bucket when I waited too long to bottle. The yeast came from the dregs of a lost abbey saints devotion.
P1010020.jpg

This one formed on my snail/slug trap in the garden. I fill the trap with yeasty keg pulls and hydro samples so I am not sure what caused it. It lasted a couple of days then went away.
IMG_6490.jpg

it's a polyester bag i use generally for my BIAB, this time it had cherries in it..

this is a blend of a few different beers,
i then barrel aged it.
I then added cherries..

about 5 days ago i had a few ltrs in the bottom of a keg i poured in... and then i looked yesterday and i have this!!!

i had someone mention Botulism :(
ive had someone mention it could have need the Pellicle moving when i added the bottom the latest addition (didnt syphon, just poured in the top)
AND
yours sounds good...
but with the Botulism mentioned, im paranoid now... damn it..
ive sampled from the tap previously and tastes funky but not bad..

I've seen a Pellicle like that from from a mixed culture/lambic blend when I threw it in a small jar for a starter. I'm guessing that's all you have going on here, some brett or other bacteria making a small pellicle that looks "wormy" because of the small space and the material it's touching.

Botulism bacteria can't work at the PH of finished beer nor is able to form at normal fermentation temperatures.

Back