Pellicle or Oil Slick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
I have an imperial stout sitting on some nibs and it has developed a peculiar looking film. Ive never had an infection before, nor have i ever used cacao nibs. Any thoughts on if if this may be oils from the nibs or a pellicle from some unintended bug.

20130304_181601-58914.jpg
20130304_181610-58915.jpg

Everything smells and tastes ok.

could be some sanitizer residue or some oils from the hops. If it keeps growing and getting whiter and thicker... then it is a pellicle. If it is staying the same size I would say it is just normal.

Did you soak the nibs in vodka or anything before racking on top of them? How long has it been on the nibs? Are they in some sort of bag (is that what I see in there)?

I always end up with some sort of oil slick when I use nibs. However, like the above says if it starts to look more white and gets bubbles then it may be time to sneak (rack) the beer carefully out from underneath the nasties to another carboy in an Argo like attempt at rescuing the beer!

What I learned when using cocoa nibs: they seem to be high in oil, but after soaking them for a week or so in alcohol (in my case, whiskey) the oil doesn't appear.

Back