Pellets for smokers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
Hello!

I just bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boon smoker. Its my first big smoker. before I had a box with an element type deal you get at Lowes for $99.
So this weekend I am going to try my hand at the 3-2-1 method for ribs using Green mountain's fruit wood blend. It was $20 for 28lbs. (special bonus bags) My question is...
Is this a good price? (they sell them at the local pool store, easy peasy to pick up)
Are they certain better brands? Are there any review sites for the pellets. The ones I have found have add for pellets in the site. Not very impartial if you are running ads for you top pick.

good price. I used to use BBQ Delight from Big Poppa Smokers, $45 - $50 for 40lbs plus shipping (Shipping can add up quickly).

We try to do a group buy at the beginning of the year and order by the pallet.

try 3-1-1 (look up Steve Reichlins article on 3-1-1) The shorter foil time makes for a nicer bark, doesn't mute the rub and is less likely to turn out mushy ribs. You can always extend the end of the cook by 20 minute intervals in the rare case that the ribs aren't done by 5 hours. The amount if meat will vary from rack to rack making cook times vary

Thanks for the 311.. I have read several pages on the 321 and thye all said it falls off the bone with no effort. That's not something I want. But with this being my first I was just going to follow the standard. Will go with the 311 to try. thank you

That Green Mountain looks purdy. You're gonna love the ease and heat control of pellets. I prefer using cherry for ribs since it adds a mahogany hue that looks great on ribs. To be honest, I lose track of what's in the hopper and out of pure laziness, I just blend cherry and hickory. (hickory for the bigger cuts like pork and brisket).

Like NSMikeD, I use BBQers Delight from Big Poppa Smokers. Don't remember the exact number, but any order over (I think $75) ships free. That's only a couple of bags (pillows) of pellets so its not hard to buy enough to get free shipping. Also, if you get on their mailing list, they have free shipping offers from time to time with no min order. Like holidays for example they usually run shipping freebies.

I have tried various pellets and BBQer Delight is by far my favorite. I have a MAK pellet grill and cook with pellets all the time. Here are some (Dino) Beef Ribs I cooked with pellets.

beef rib.jpg

Are they spare ribs or baby backs? Generally I think the conventional wisdom is that 3-2-1 is for spares, which are meatier. 2-2-1 or 3-1-1 is for baby backs.

I agree that 3-2-1 is conventional for spares, but I wasn't happy with the 2 hours in the foil. The bark and rub got braised out and too many times the ribs were done before I could set the sauce. I started shortening the foil time with better results. No more mushy rubs, better bark, more distinct rub and a lot more control knowing when they were done. As I said, much easier to add time to the end then deal with over cooked ribs after unfoiling.

The amount of meat on on the spares does have a big influence on this. I can tell right away which racks will cook fast and which will need extra time.

I have the trophies as validation 3-1-1 produces great ribs and last year, Steve Reichlin published a blog about 3-1-1 for spares affirming that it wasn't just me gravitating to 3-1-1 for spares.

Important to note that the final one is a guideline and it's really 3-1- and then check for done. When you take them from the foil, and they bend in half, then you'll need just 20 minutes. If they are stiff and the meat hasn't pulled back exposing the bone, they'll probably need more than the hour.

I agree that 3-2-1 is conventional for spares, but I wasn't happy with the 2 hours in the foil. The bark and rub got braised out and too many times the ribs were done before I could set the sauce. I started shattering the foil time with better results. No more mushy rubs, better bark, more distinct rub and a lot more control knowing when they were done. As I said, much easier to add time to the end then deal with over cooked ribs after unfailing.

The amount of meat on on the spares does have a big influence on this. I can tell right away which racks will cook fast and which will need extra time.

I have the trophies as validation 3-1-1 produces great ribs and last year, Steve Reichlin published a blog about 3-1-1 for spares affirming that it wasn't just me gravitating to 3-1-1 for spares.

Important to note that the final one is a guideline and it's really 3-1- and then check for done. When you take them from the foil, and they bend in half, then you'll need just 20 minutes. If they are stiff and the meat hasn't pulled off the bone, they'll probably need more than the hour.

I'm siding with Mike on this one to say 2 hours in foil is destined to be problematic. Lots of factors come into play so timing is not exactly cut and dry. But at the end of the day, or at the judging table, meat that strips cleanly off the bone is over done. Slight resistance and a firm but tender mouthfeel is what Mike means by winning trophies.

I have not used CookingPellets. I have burned ton's of BBQer's Delight. See if a BBQ store close to you carries pellets. Stay away from Traegar pellets. They are complete junk. By the pallet we are paying about $0.60 per lbs for BBQers Delight.

Has anyone had success with CookinPellets brand pellets?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00819OICI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I don't have personal experience, but the reviews are excellent and these are all hardwood with a natural builder. I wouldn't blink using these.

fwiw, my pellet smoker is a FastEddy by Cookshack. They sell a metal box that sits top of fire pot in which I can put specific wood chips to enhance the smoke. Nice when we are doing a big charity cook using donated pellets. I've see a guys hang a tea infuser with chips over the fire pot do the same. If you can do something similar on your green mountain, you can use chips to dial in a specific smoke while using a mix blend of pellets

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a MAK grill and I use BBQ'ers Delight (exclusively) that I order from Big Poppa Smokers also. There is a new BBQ store nearby though and I might have to check them out to save on shipping - if they can stay in business. Have no complaints about these pellets. I also have a GMG Davy Crockett portable (I hear MAK is developing a mini portable grill that I'll probably have to get).

I HIGHLY recommend the book "MEATHEAD" It is really chock full of info if you are new to BBQ. The Book, and the website are a bit scatterbrain as far as organization, but the information is solid and often there is scientific research in some form or explanation to back up what is being explained. 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 is also addressed. I will let you all form your own conclusions about the recommended way to make ribs. The website, which actually came before the book, is called Amazingribs.com if I recall correctly.

TD

Hello!

I just bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boon smoker. Its my first big smoker. before I had a box with an element type deal you get at Lowes for $99.
So this weekend I am going to try my hand at the 3-2-1 method for ribs using Green mountain's fruit wood blend. It was $20 for 28lbs. (special bonus bags) My question is...
Is this a good price? (they sell them at the local pool store, easy peasy to pick up)
Are they certain better brands? Are there any review sites for the pellets. The ones I have found have add for pellets in the site. Not very impartial if you are running ads for you top pick.

I have a Daniel Boone as well and use Bear Mountain Hickory pellets that I pick up from a local restaurant supply store for about $16/33lb bag. When I bought my grill I had a few bags of different GMG brand pellets which I did not care for. In all honesty, I noticed no flavor difference between the styles. Only noticeable difference was pellet consumption, which I think was due to the hardness of each wood but I could be wrong. The Bear Mountain Hickory seems to burn hotter and use much less pellets than the GMG brand (only other brand I have used). If you can find them locally, I would highly recommend them. You can buy them online, but shipping is outrageous.

http://bmfp.com/product/american-hickory-bbq-pellets/

I love my pellet smoker. Set it and forget it. But it doesn't grill for krap. I need to use the grill.

Thanks for the pellet brand tips.

Latest posts

Back