Peanut butter stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
I believe the company is called Infamous out of Austin TX. They make a peanut butter stout that I love. I'd like to clone it or come up with something close. I'm currently cultivating yeast from a bottle of it. Anybody have a recipe or link to something similar?

Not familiar with that brewery but I am about to run a commercial test batch of a peanutbutter milk stout in my brewery tomorrow using 15.5lbs PB2 per bbl (not a typo) and no artificial flavoring of any kind.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Not familiar with that brewery but I am about to run a commercial test batch of a peanutbutter milk stout in my brewery tomorrow using 15.5lbs PB2 per bbl (not a typo) and no artificial flavoring of any kind.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Please do!

Update #1: I'm starting boil right now and our delivery still hasn't come in so UPS has about 80-90 mins or else it will be 11lbs in a 1 bbl instead of 15.5lbs lol

Update #5: Smells like salt and nuts, not actual peanut butter. Can't taste it yet since its still at about 190f

I'm going to cast here shortly so Ill take a quick flavor test when it's at pitch temp. This better taste great because PB2 is a gigantic pain in the a$$ not taking into account the PB2 costs more then all of the other ingredients of this beer combined, including the 6lb of lactose

Very thick, salty, and not as sweet as I was expecting. I'm going to run it anyway of course. I'm not at our brewery computer but the estimated OG was somewhere around 1.050 counting the lactose but not counting the pb2 (it's a session stout base beer), with 11 lb pb2 in 1 bbl the actual OG ended up being 1.068 lol

Pitched rehydrated nottingham into a stainless conical to follow our typical "house" fermentation schedule:
4 days @ 66f
3 days @ 70f
2-3 days @ 31f

Keg, carb to 2.7 vol

I have a local brewery called 4 Hands. They have a PB Milk Stout called Abscence of Light. The PB taste is so subtle at the end, it's friggin delicious. I wonder if maybe doing s small pre-rinse of PB2 would help rid of some of the salt and some lactose would help to retain some of the desired sweetness?

We did add some lactose so that will help. The pb2 may be a little tough to was because it turns into a thick paste when wet unless it is heavily diluted. I could see it being possible for home brewers using .5-1lb of the stuff but for me at 11lb to a bbl I would need me whole mlt to do so haha.

I added the pb2 at flame out so I do expect atleast some of the saltyness to drop out as the sediment does. I've read a lot from people using pb2 saying your beer does drop out pretty well post fermentation. I'm also hoping that restores some of the color.

I'm sure the beer will come out fine but for commercial production I really don't feel pb2 is the way to go.

We did add some lactose so that will help. The pb2 may be a little tough to was because it turns into a thick paste when wet unless it is heavily diluted. I could see it being possible for home brewers using .5-1lb of the stuff but for me at 11lb to a bbl I would need me whole mlt to do so haha.

I added the pb2 at flame out so I do expect atleast some of the saltyness to drop out as the sediment does. I've read a lot from people using pb2 saying your beer does drop out pretty well post fermentation. I'm also hoping that restores some of the color.

I'm sure the beer will come out fine but for commercial production I really don't feel pb2 is the way to go.

Thank you for the updates. I'm going to have to do some research on this bbl measurement. I've never heard of it. Also it sounds like you have a pretty sweet brewing set up. I'm jealous. I'm still fermenting in buckets and carboys. Some day I'll splurge on good stuff.
I hope that beer turns out great! Good luck!

Thank you for the updates. I'm going to have to do some research on this bbl measurement. I've never heard of it. Also it sounds like you have a pretty sweet brewing set up. I'm jealous. I'm still fermenting in buckets and carboys. Some day I'll splurge on good stuff.
I hope that beer turns out great! Good luck!

BBL is just a written abbreviation for the word "barrel" which in brewing terms equates to 31 US gallons. Barrel, or BBL, is how batch size and total production capacity are measured in production/commercial brewing settings.

The typical large kegs you see that people usually refer to as a "half"... those are 15.5 gallons or half of 1 BBL (31 gallons).

Our pilot/test set up consists of a 3 vessel (HLT, MLT, BK) 55 gallon Blichmann brewhouse w/ 2 chugger pumps, full blichmann tower of power including external rims rocket, flow meters, and a proper 2 way heat exchanger. We also have everything set up via 3 way valves off the pumps so we basically have everything hardlined and rarely have to move hoses/connections.

Around Jan-Feb we will have our main system in which is a 4 vessel (HLT, MLT, BK, separate Whirlpool) 7 BBL (217 gallon) system w/ somewhere around x5 15 BBL jacketed conical FV's and a 15 BBL BBT (brite beer tank) for force carbing and packaging. We also will have a full RO system with inline fully automated acid injectors for building our water profile, full laboratory with all the bells and whistles, a 3 head canning line, and a spent grain auger to pump everything out of the room. Did I mention that the brewhouse is 100% fully automated?

Don't be off put by this, phenomenal beer can be made in plastic buckets and carboys. Have fun first and stress about equipment second.

Ok so tomorrow I am going to keg and carb this beer but I wanted to give a quick update:

The beer actually tastes pretty good! It's taking awhile to crash but the lactose really helped balance the flavor out. It tastes like peanut butter but not fake like the flavoring. The color never came back though, even as the pb2 sediment dropped out. My 40~ srm stout is now a light brown lol

Had a chance to "play" with this beer so I figured I'd report back again:

The PB2 added a good amount of saltiness, even through the lactose, so we decided to do an ethanol extraction on both cocoa nibs and whole shelled peanuts (separate) then dosed them post cold crash/pre kegging. That really did the trick. Enhanced the peanut flavor to compliment the lactose making it taste more like peanut butter then a subtle hint of chocolate to round it out. This beer tastes 100% like Reese puffs cereal... Spot on in fact lol. The enthanol extraction yielded a ton of flavor but added little to no "heat". Ohh yea, the color finally came back haha

We are going to experiment and run the same beer but with no PB2 and only use the two ethanol extractions to get the main flavor. Should be more controllable, affordable, and still give great flavor.

I've used PB2 several times and had good results. I always used it in the secondary and I would add 2 jars per 5 gallon batch and then swirl the beer several times to rouse the PB2 back into solution. It had good peanut butter flavor with no noticeable saltiness. May not be feasible on your scale, but PB2 works well on smaller scales.

Back