Peanut Butter Cup Stout -- Need for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgarmsmith

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew 5 gallons of stout that I will add cacao nibs and PB2 powdered peanut butter after primary fermentation. The recipe calls for secondary for the additions, but is there any issue with simply adding those to primary after fermentation is complete? Do I not want the flavor additions sitting on the yeast cake for any reason?

Any past experiences are welcome!

Thank you in advance.

I have never secondaried and have never had a problem. The last time I used cacao nibs, I put them in a mesh bag and tossed in the keg which I will probably do from now on.

I never secondary my beers unless i absolutely just need the fermenter space. Throw the cacao nibs and PB2 powdered peanut butter into the primary, it'll be fine.

When our club created the Peanut Butter Stout (BEAVR NUTZ), we did the secondary to get the beer off the sludge.

But it is not necessary if you don't want to. No worries with it sitting on the yeast cake.

Get ready for a serious amount of trub and sludge in your primary when you add that PB2 powder. I'd transfer it to secondary just to make room.

Earlier this year, I did a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter using powdered cocoa, cocao nibs, and 2# of PB2. I typically do not move my beers to secondary unless there are heavy spices, fruits, adjuncts, etc. as I always rinse the yeast from my batches and if I would have added everything to the primary, trying to rinse the yeast from this batch would have been a mess.

If you plan on saving the yeast, I would recomend racking to a different container. However, if you are going to throw away the yeast or simply do the same (or very similar beer) from the whole yeast cake, there shouldn't be a need to move it.

Back