Peach Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobitti

Reaction score
I am trying a peach Ale and now need to secondary the ale with the peaches. Can I use frozen peaches right out of the bag or do I need to sanitize the fruit in some way first?

I have done several fruit beers straight from the freezer into the fermenter...only thing I would worry about is dipping the nylon bag into sanitizer...or if you are racking right onto the peaches, I would just do that (although in a bag they are easier to remove..depending on what kind of fermenter you are using)....the alcohol level should keep any unwanted out of the equation...YMMV...

Lots of people are successful just dropping them right in from the freezer. I would blanch them, but I'm paranoid.

Actually I'm so paranoid I'd stick them in the oven set as low as it can go (typically 180F) and let them be for 45-60 minutes.

Thanks! Just needed a bit of handholding there before I rack the ale onto the peaches.....Hoping for a good batch...

Most brewers will say that with frozen store bought fruits you can just throw it in the fermenter.

If you are worried, then a quick pasteurization is all that is needed. Raise the temp to 145f for 5 minutes no higher. You do not want to set the pectin. If you have ever made jam you will know what set pectin looks like. Warm it looks like fruit snot, cold it setup like jelly. If you add set pectin to beer it will have a permanent haze. That haze will get worse the colder you get the beer.

Back