Paw paw wheat beer and fruit seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreene820

Reaction score
I've lucked into several pounds of paw paw fruit :), and am planning a paw paw wheat soon :mug:. The fruits are easy to halve and easy to scrape from the rind. The seeds are, however, numerous, large and almost impossible to separate. Would plonking the skinned fruit seeds and all into the secondary result in an unacceptable level of tannins? The seeds are large and pretty tough, the problem is the slippery and slimy ripe fruit clings to it pretty well. I've thought about buying a juicer just for this, but that seems awfully expensive for a one-off beer recipe.

Thoughts?

i know a lot more about plants then i do brewing.Paw paws are a pretty old tree.They are mammal dispersed so that means they seed is intended to be eaten whole and go threw the entire digestive track.I would assume stomach acid is stronger then beer.Since the seeds are fine after that process i think you would be alright.But really i duno. Im just entertaining you.
Since you should freeze your fruit to help break down the cell walls maybe in the mean time do a small experiment and leave some seeds in water or beer and taste it after a week or two.

An old-style food mill did the job pretty well. I had a bag of overripe fruit that was frozen. Once defrosting, I could practically squeeze the pulp and seeds into the mill. I was kind of gross, but effective with some elbow grease. For this purpose, you want overripe fruit, anyway. I added some pectic enzyme and then froze 6-7 pounds of seedless pulp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the recipe from this thread. Racking the beer onto 3.5 lbs in secondary. Any suggestions how long to leave it in secondary? Fermentation seems to have all but stopped after a week.

Left it in for about 4 weeks, added the rest of the Glacier (1/2 oz) as dry hops. bottled with about 5 oz of corn sugar. The paw paw "nose" is over whelming!

Now working on an all-grain dunkelweizen, I only have about 2 lbs of puree left, so I'll use WLP300 and Hull Melon hops to add to the effect.

Stay tuned.

LReviving an old thread here!

Thanks to a windfall of 2017 crop wild paw paws (Foodsaver frozen). I'm making this recipe early. Last year, I tried low temperature pasteurization in the sous vide, which robbed the fruit of most of it's volatile flavor components, tasting a little flat. This year, it's "back to the future". I'm trying a batch without removed the seeds! I figure if the seeds can survive the intestinal tract of a mammoth (seriously, look it up!) a few days in an active fermation shouldn't disturb the thick husk around the seeds. Also I ended up losing too much pulp trying to remove the seeds.

Other changes to the recipe, less bittering hops and more "fruit forward" dry hop additions, including Amarillo and Mosaic. I'll probably rack it off after 5-10 days to avoid pressing my luck.

BTW, for those in the Washington DC area, I have paw paw seedlings coming up in my garden. Contact me off-line if you're interested.

LReviving an old thread here!

Thanks to a windfall of 2017 crop wild paw paws (Foodsaver frozen). I'm making this recipe early. Last year, I tried low temperature pasteurization in the sous vide, which robbed the fruit of most of it's volatile flavor components, tasting a little flat. This year, it's "back to the future". I'm trying a batch without removed the seeds! I figure if the seeds can survive the intestinal tract of a mammoth (seriously, look it up!) a few days in an active fermentation shouldn't disturb the thick husk around the seeds. Also I ended up losing too much pulp trying to remove the seeds.

Other changes to the recipe, less bittering hops and more "fruit forward" dry hop additions, including Amarillo and Mosaic. I'll probably rack it off after 5-10 days to avoid pressing my luck.

BTW, for those in the Washington DC area, I have paw paw seedlings coming up in my garden. Contact me off-line if you're interested.
I just kegged this after adding fruit for seven days. I was down to about 1.008 fg, which says it burned through the sugars in the pulp in nothing flat. No off flavors that I could detect due to the seeds being left in. Next time, I might leave on the pulp for an extra week. The uncarbed beer tasted great! Not an obvious hit you over the head flavor, but carbonation will bring up more volatile flavor components.

This was a LOT less trouble than trying to prepare seedless pulp.

Back