processing fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garhof

Reaction score
Not sure if I should put this in this area of the forum or not.

I've started making more fruit beers and meads. I have just been hand squishing the fruit, but I'd like to come up with a better way. especially with the beer, I am not as worried about the fruit contaminating the Meads. I would like to sanitize the solid fruit and then run it through my meat mixer, then throw all of the goop into my fermenters. I've got a fairly large meat mixer:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...Tz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=grinder

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried running fruit through a meat grinder? They have juicer attachments, but I would like to get all of the fruit in there, not just the juice, so the yeast can pull tannins and nutrients from the skins of the fruits.

Thoughts from anyone? just trying to avoid a big mess. I'm thinking softer fruits would be pretty slick (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries), but what about apples or pears?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Back