Patiently Waiting to Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashtown

Reaction score
I'm ready to dry hop my 5 gallon batch with 2oz. of whole Cascade, but the fermentation is still slightly active. It's been 19 days with Wyeast 1056 & I'm still getting tiny surface bubbles (5 / minute). It's pretty close to it's target SG, but I didn't want to dry hop too soon to avoid anything off. Don't know if I should dry hop in the primary then transfer to secondary or dry hop in the secondary. Bottling, not kegging.

What I personally do is transfer to secondary and dry hop in that, then I cold crash before I bottle. However, I think 5 different people on here will give you 5 different answers

I would do it now. If you do it toward the end of fermentation, the yeast can clean up any oxygen that the hops bring to the party. So forget patience and get dry hopping. I dry hop in the primary, then bottle as usual.

Back