Pasteurizing 5 gallons ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schott703

Reaction score
Any ideas? I would like to pasteurize 5 gallons of cider, back sweeten, keg/carbonate, then bottle. I would like the ability to store bottles at room temp. I have a kettle large enough to hold the 5 gallons, but will it oxidize or lose flavor heating it in this way?

I'd think the first thing you would lose would be the alcohol. I think I read somewhere that if you bring ethanol to 170º or so it basically boils off. Regardless you will diminish your ABV if heated enough to pasteurize (in a kettle).

Thanks - my intention was to 140 for 3 min. I just wonder that if in a open kettle what happens to the integrity if the brew?

I'm not 100% but I was thinking pasteurization was in a closed system because if you open it comes into contact with air, making it no longer pasteurized. If a stray yeast gets in there it can eat leftover sugars. Think of canning green beans, its heated in a closed system.

Makes sense. I wonder if I can pasteaurize each bottle after carbing in a water bath?

Back