Pasteurization? Food safety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does a professional cidery, or at least person who wants to sell their hard cider have to pasteurize at any stage? What are the laws/regulations? Do breweries, wineries, cideries, have food safety standards? I'm from Oregon, any specific to here?

i used to buy non past farmer cider in vt and often got ill on it. I dont recall if my fermented versions made me ill, but they often tasted terrible. Now i have fermented past cider with greater success.

The above was probably due to animal germs, especially common when ground apples are snuck in to the press. This was a period when unpast milk and cheese was starting in local production, and many people reported violent illness from it. So dont let unsanitation clobber your unpast. customers.

In Oregon, cider is classified as a fruit wine. It does not have to be pasteurized at any point during the process. All breweries etc. have to have a food safety licence from the OLCC. To sell hard cider you must have approval from TTB and OLCC. See http://www.oregon.gov/olcc/pages/index.aspx and http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/alf.shtml

So what all does the OLCC food safety regulations entail? For e.g. having washable walls or certain types of sinks (like food manufacturers/restaurants)? Happen to have a direct link to a OLCC list of what must be done/how a facility must be built?

You would be safe to assume the sanitary design standards for a commercial nano/micro/macro-brewery would be comparable to any food manufacturing plant, including separate sinks for hand washing and parts cleaning, non-porous, washable walls and floors, adequate floor drainage (to prevent standing water). Plus, all applicable sanitary design standards for your brewing equipment need to be met as well.

From a sanitary design perspective, you're better off referring to FDA and or USDA standards if the product is distributed outside of Oregon.

Back