Pasteurization: could tongs could lift a beer bottle out of hot water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piojo

Reaction score
I pasteurize at home, and getting the bottle out of the water is tricky while wearing leather gloves. Safety first, right?

Is there any type of tongs designed to lift up a beer bottle from above? It only needs to lift it a couple inches out of the water so I can grab it with my hand. It doesn't need to be a super reliable grip.

Can't you just let the water out of the kettle? Not touching the bottles at all is the safest option...

Can't you just let the water out of the kettle? Not touching the bottles at all is the safest option...
Letting out some of the water out of the pot with a siphon would be reasonable, but I prefer a little better control of the time, if possible.

On the other hand, if I could drain it fast enough, fully draining then filling with cold water would cool the bottles much faster than transferring them by hand. But I'm afraid that system needs more space, which is already a challenge.

And it would also keep you from being shredded by shrapnel... :eek:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRQVKRY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Search for canning lifter or canning tongs. Canning tongs are designed for canning jars so I’m not 100% certain they close small enough around a 12 ounce bottle if that is what you are pasturizing.

I would be concerned that using cold water to quickly cool the bottles may cause the bottles to break.

He'll only be warming them to about 70°C or so, thermal shock from cold water will be very limited and should not be an issue at all.

Back