Party gyling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a technique called party gyling?

I was talking to a guy from a large regional brewer in UK who mentioned it to me. I think it is a technique that gives rise to a family of beers by blending worts together. I think the copper is rinsed which gives a low gravity wort, this is then blended with the first runnings in different proportions to give a range of beers.

Has anyone else heard of this? and can this technique be used in homebrewing?

I've interpreted "parti gyle" as meaning to take the first runnings of a batch to brew something really big (barleywine) and the second runnings to brew something like an ordinary bitter. I'm not sure about the "blending" aspect.

I've thought about doing this when I make my American Strong ale; I'll concurrently brew an American Bitter. Similar hopping, just do the former at near-IPA levels and the latter at maybe 20 IBUs or so.

strangecarr said:
Has anyone heard of a technique called party gyling?

I was talking to a guy from a large regional brewer in UK who mentioned it to me. I think it is a technique that gives rise to a family of beers by blending worts together. I think the copper is rinsed which gives a low gravity wort, this is then blended with the first runnings in different proportions to give a range of beers.

Has anyone else heard of this? and can this technique be used in homebrewing?

I've done it with another homebrewer. We used the first runnings for some Double IPA and then the second runnings for a Mild :rockin:

Gyle is another term for wort.

What is a parti-gyle? How do I figure out what I'll get?

Answer: Parti-gyle is an old technique that was often used by small breweries to make a variety of beer strengths. It also represents a good way to efficiently use all the extract value from your grains. We demonstrated the technique on November 5th 2005 as part of Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day.

In its simplest terms, parti-gyle gives you two beers from one batch of grain. The first batch is typically a no-sparge high gravity beer, though you can do a small amount of sparge if you want. The second is a weaker beer using the rest of the sparge runnings, often called a small beer. To do the whole process, you need to be ready with two boiling kettles, and two separate fermenters. If you've made a no-sparge high-gravity beer, your mash-tun will be filled with quite a bit of sweet wort. If you then proceed to sparge the tun, you will get a considerable quantity of weaker wort. If you read last month's Brewmaster article, you learned about no-sparge beers, and how to calculate the gravities. The Brewing Technique website has a nice chart to calculate both the volume and the gravity of the second batch of wort, which you can find at: http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html#3 This article gives two different options. The first option will yield a 1/3rd 2/3rd volume split and it good for especially high gravity beers. The other option yields a 50/50 volume split and is good for strong but not quite so extreme beers. Roughly speaking, the second batch will have half the gravity of the first batch.

Orfy, thanks, but I know what gyle is...a portion of the wort taken out prior to pitching the yeast to be used later for natural conditioning/carbonation.

I guess in this case it's just a plain old second running. Oh well. ;)

(Now tell me again...how long does the secondary fermentation take place in my secondary fermenter? Just kidding!!!)

HB.

It has two meanings really. Yes it is a portion of the wort.
It can be used for priming but it can also be used to brew a beer.

I know you know....It was for general consumption. ;)

Quote from orfy
"In its simplest terms, parti-gyle gives you two beers from one batch of grain. The first batch is typically a no-sparge high gravity beer, though you can do a small amount of sparge if you want. The second is a weaker beer using the rest of the sparge runnings, often called a small beer."

In colonial America they did 3 runnings
1st Keeping beer......... meant to age
2nd Table beer............. everyday beer
3rd small beer............. for the kids

Latest posts

Back