Partigyle Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

causeimthesquid

Reaction score
So I am planning on making two porters this weekend, a BIG Baltic Porter and a smaller Smoked Porter with the second runnings. Each will be ~5gal batch.

Here is my grain bill:

8 lbs Pilsner
6 lbs Munich
4 lbs Vienna
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Brown malt
1/2 lb Special B
1/2 lb Pale Chocolate
1/2 lb Black Patent

At 80% efficiency, I figure my OG should be in the ballpark of 1.085.

I also plan to be smoking a beef roast on Saturday (with a brown sugar/coffee/jalapeno rub!) so I figure I can throw 3 lbs or so of grain into the smoker while the Baltic Porter is brewing. Then I can mill that and add it to the leftover grain from the Baltic Porter, collect the second runnings, and make a Smoked Porter. I plan on using maple wood, not sure how long I should smoke if for (taste and see?)

Question is, what should I figure for gravity on those second runnings and what percentage of my fermentables will wind up being from smoked malt? I have read that in partigyle brewing 2/3 of your gravity is in the first half of the runnings, so I am guessing the smoked porter will be slightly above 1.045.

Any thoughts, critiques, or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Take this with the knowledge that I am learning as I go for the last 2 yrs. I am not sure that the 2nd beer will be a "porter" given that the a majority of the color/flavor is going into the bigger beer.

I may be wrong, and am subbed because I am interested in PG'ing in the near future and want to know as much as I can before hand.

EDIT: After thinking about this for a second, take my first comment lightly. There is a considerable amount of darker malts in there, so you are going to have dark beers for both. That Baltic is gonna be a good one!! Might have to cut it with a knife as it seems like it is going to have some serious flavor!

Good luck and I will be looking forward to hearing about the results.

I may be wrong, and am subbed because I am interested in PG'ing in the near future and want to know as much as I can before hand.

Good luck and I will be looking forward to hearing about the results.

The Partigyle is done, with mixed degrees of success.

I thought I would be able to buy a new, larger mash tun on Friday but apparently coolers don't sell well in NH in November so I was stuck with my 5 gal. mash tun. I was able to fit my entire grainbill and 4 gallons of water in there and nailed my mash temp of 156. Then it came time to sparge and it was so compressed I couldn't get any flow.

After dumping everything into a bucket, adding rice hulls, and resuming the sparge my efficiency was way down. The Baltic wound up at 1.075 (I'm debating adding some DME after fermentation starts to wind down a bit).

I collected 1 gallon of second runnings for the next porter before scooping out half the mash tun. I added 5 lbs of smoked pilsner malt in place of the 10lbs of grain removed. The color was a bit low, but it should still be a passable porter. I added 1 lb of DME to boost the OG, leaving me at 1.048.

Lessons learned: Proper mash tun size. Leave lots more time than you think (brewday ran from 1030 AM to 630 PM). Anticipate things not running smoothly. Have DME on hand.

Don't beat yourself up....you learned things which can be applied to future endeavors. As long as you remember these things you will be a better brewer.

Back