Partial Mash Tripel - Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

VikingBrews

Reaction score
I wasn't really satisfied with any of the extract recipe kits I was seeing out there for tripels, and I really wanted wanted to get a little more complexity in the beer by using real grains. So I decided I would take my first whack at creating my first recipe. I put this together by reading various recipes around the net. Comments and advice would be much appreciated! :mug:

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Belgian Tripel
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.132
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 9.19%
IBU (tinseth): 21.35
SRM (morey): 7.25

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (43.6%)
0.75 lb - Belgian - Cara 8 (5.5%)
1 lb - Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear/Blond (7.3%)
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (43.6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Tradition, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 18.19
1 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.16

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F, Time: 75 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Trappist High Gravity 3787
Starter: Yes - 2000ML

As you can see this is assuming I can squeeze 60% efficiency out of the mini mash. If I can't get that out it I will definitely be sure to have a bit of Pilsen DME on hand to make sure I can hit my target OG.

Thanks again everyone!

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
looks solid. after 75 mins, if you held 152 you should have no problems hitting 60%. i wouldn't be surprised if you ended up much higher.

however, i wonder about the Cara 8. crystals aren't typically included in tripels, on the other hand that's a pretty light one. it does put your brew at the dark end for a tripel (technically you're over the limit by 0.25, according to the BJCP... but it's your beer, brew what you want :mug:)

giraffe

Reaction score
Id skip the crystal. Most extracts already give a fair amount of body to the beer you cant control. And the worst homebrew trippels are overly sticky/syrupy. Alternately, you could increase the sugar to dry it out.

You can use table sugar instead of the clear candi sugar if you want. The dark candi syrups add a lot of character, and are totally worth it. The clear, not so much, I dont think you'd taste a difference from table sugar, if you wish to save the few bucks.

I second doing a 90 minute boil.

OP
V

VikingBrews

Reaction score
Sounds good, I'll drop the Cara 8, and bump up to a 90 minute boil. Would you recommend anything else in the grain bill besides pilsner?

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'll drop the Cara 8, and bump up to a 90 minute boil. Would you recommend anything else in the grain bill besides pilsner?
nope. your extract will have some caramel in it, that should provide all the variation you need. many tripels are 100% pilsner (with sugar).

giraffe

Reaction score
Simplicity is best. Its mostly about yeast character, high alcohol, and crisp drinking. Some people add a tiny amount wheat, biscuit, or aromatic. But I wouldnt bother the first time you make one. The trappist examples are mostly pils and sugar.