Partial Mash Tripel - Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingBrews

Reaction score
I wasn't really satisfied with any of the extract recipe kits I was seeing out there for tripels, and I really wanted wanted to get a little more complexity in the beer by using real grains. So I decided I would take my first whack at creating my first recipe. I put this together by reading various recipes around the net. Comments and advice would be much appreciated! :mug:

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Belgian Tripel
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.132
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 9.19%
IBU (tinseth): 21.35
SRM (morey): 7.25

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (43.6%)
0.75 lb - Belgian - Cara 8 (5.5%)
1 lb - Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear/Blond (7.3%)
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (43.6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Tradition, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 18.19
1 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.16

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F, Time: 75 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Trappist High Gravity 3787
Starter: Yes - 2000ML

As you can see this is assuming I can squeeze 60% efficiency out of the mini mash. If I can't get that out it I will definitely be sure to have a bit of Pilsen DME on hand to make sure I can hit my target OG.

Thanks again everyone!

looks solid. after 75 mins, if you held 152 you should have no problems hitting 60%. i wouldn't be surprised if you ended up much higher.

however, i wonder about the Cara 8. crystals aren't typically included in tripels, on the other hand that's a pretty light one. it does put your brew at the dark end for a tripel (technically you're over the limit by 0.25, according to the BJCP... but it's your beer, brew what you want :mug:)

Id skip the crystal. Most extracts already give a fair amount of body to the beer you cant control. And the worst homebrew trippels are overly sticky/syrupy. Alternately, you could increase the sugar to dry it out.

You can use table sugar instead of the clear candi sugar if you want. The dark candi syrups add a lot of character, and are totally worth it. The clear, not so much, I dont think you'd taste a difference from table sugar, if you wish to save the few bucks.

I second doing a 90 minute boil.

Sounds good, I'll drop the Cara 8, and bump up to a 90 minute boil. Would you recommend anything else in the grain bill besides pilsner?

Simplicity is best. Its mostly about yeast character, high alcohol, and crisp drinking. Some people add a tiny amount wheat, biscuit, or aromatic. But I wouldnt bother the first time you make one. The trappist examples are mostly pils and sugar.

Back