Partial Mash Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Jose State University

Reaction score
First off..... SORRY!! I know this kind of thread must be somewhere but I couldn't find it.

I'm looking to start a partial mash setup. I have the kettle, the carboys, the siphons, etc.

However, I'd like to upgrade to the partial mash setup. I can't figure out what equipment I need. Morebeer.com is my LHBS, and I'm sure they must have what I need to get that going..... but I don't know what to get.

I'm looking to make quality products in my small apartment, but I don't want to spend excessive dough. I know that's vague... I don't really have a set limit... but let's say around 150 for just the partial mash upgrade equipment. Can anyone please help me figure out what equipment I can buy?

PM can really be as expensive as you want it to be. My advice would be to buy (or better yet, build) a MLT out of a cooler. If you need it, get a propane/natural gas burner. You could get fancy with a SS MLT, but a cooler will work just as well. If you have the burner already, should cost you under $50 for the MLT upgrade. The great thing about this upgrade is that you can use it later for AG if you want to go that route.

Oh, and some brew software might well be a worthwhile investment, too.

RadicalEd said:
PM can really be as expensive as you want it to be. My advice would be to buy (or better yet, build) a MLT out of a cooler. If you need it, get a propane/natural gas burner. You could get fancy with a SS MLT, but a cooler will work just as well. If you have the burner already, should cost you under $50 for the MLT upgrade. The great thing about this upgrade is that you can use it later for AG if you want to go that route.

Oh, and some brew software might well be a worthwhile investment, too.

Thank you for your advice. I'd like to try the cooler method, since SS is awfully expensive. JP's How to Brew gives a brief description of how to build one... does anyone know of any detailed resources to build one with a cylindrical cooler?

edit: I see pictures like this: http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/Outlet.JPG

and think... how the heck would I go about picking out the right parts and knowing how to install/use them?

RichBrewer said:
Living in an apartment with limited space you should consider the system described in this thread. It is inexpensive and takes up very little room.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805
It is one long thread but I'll also post a link to the page that has the system I made.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805&page=5

I swear, the people are awesome at this site. I've been scouring the internet trying to find a solution as good as this to no avail until now. THANKS!

Maybe one day I'll learn something unique so that I can contribute too... haha

Simplest and cheapest PM is using a very large grain sack in your kettle.

[experiment, maybe you'll be the one to come up with a drinkable beer/cider combination.]

"Awe, man, your beer has this huge cidery taste!"

"Yeah, isn't it awesome!"

We're al waiting for that conversation to occurr :p.

:D

I just built a 5 gallon mash tun out of a rubbermaid cooler...specifically for my partial mash batches. I thought I was crazy to try this since everyone just says "use the muslin bag", but I actually thought using the cooler was easier and I got a MUCH better sparge out of it. I'm just tickled to see a thread about this!

tgreene7 said:
Might as well. just go all grain if you built a five gallon tun.

assuming one can boil the 6-7 gallons of wort collected. that's my particular problem.

I pushed as much grain as I could, then topped off with 2lbs of DME, all split between two brew pots.

so now that I got a promotion at work, I'm looking for a propane burner, 7gal pot, and immersion chiller so I can just go AG and take my crappy stove out of the equation.

Maybe this needs a new thread... but I'll try saving board space and ask here.

I've seen a VERY easy method to mini-mash by using a nylon bag and just sticking it in a bottling bucket:
http://morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/mmpdfs/mb/MiniMashBrewing.pdf

But everyone on this site seems to mention the cooler method....

The only cost of the first method would be a nylon bag, and it'd be easy.

Is there any notable difference between the two? I'd rather not sacrifice quality but if the results are similar I'd assume a bucket with a bag would be the way to go!

reading over those instructions, I'd have to say you get much lower efficiency from the bag method, since they still have you using 5-8bls of extract.

granted, I've only got 1 PM under my belt, but with my 5lbs of grain, I only needed 2lbs of DME. theirs is 5lbs grain, and 5-8lbs of (unspecified) extract.

maybe theirs has specialty grains with no fermentables, just sugars for mouthfeel, and color of course.

basically the cooler method is a pretty cheap way to have a thickly insulated mash tun, and plenty of volume for sparging.

I just did this this past weekend with 5.5 lbs in a 5 gallon converted cooler. I ended up with 4 gallons initial boil water, so I topped off to 5. Supplemented with 3 lbs DME at 15 min left of boil.

I only have a 7.5 gallon pot so I heated my mash and sparge water in that. Collected all runnings into my bottling bucket. Worked fine.

I'm lucky in that my stove can handle a full boil no sweat. Boiled down to 4 gallons again, so I cooled off with 1 gallon spring water that had been in the freezer for about 4 hours. 69% efficiency. Total cost was under $50.

tgreene7 said:
Might as well. just go all grain if you built a five gallon tun.

I must thank the OP for this thread. The quoted text is exactly what this thread resulted in for me. I have been doing quite a few extract kits for 8 months or so, improving with every batch (well, most of them :cross: ) and accumulating more and more equipment. I've been doing a LOT of reading and lurking on these forums learning a TON (I search for old threads that answer my questions instead of posting new ones :rockin: ). I read this thread thinking 'hey I think I'm ready to try Partial Mash', but then realized I already had all the equipment for all-grain except for the MLT and a container to hold the sparge water. So once I realized it took about as much work and money to put together a 3-gallon MLT for a PM as it did for a 5-gallon MLT to go all-grain, it was a no-brainer especially since the cost of the 5 gal cooler is barely a couple bucks more. Since I have only one propane burner, I figure I'll mash in first, heat up the sparge water, throw the sparge water in my 2nd cooler (bought two 5-gal coolers) to keep warm until the mash is done, and then batch sparge with plenty of hot water in reserves. EdWort's Haus Pale Ale coming right up!! :tank:

I'd like to throw my hat in for the cooler setup as well. I just switched to PM a couple weeks or so ago. In fact, my first PM hefe is getting bottled in the next couple nights. I tasted it last night after taking a sample to measure my SG and it was SOOOO different from my extract recipe I was amazed. Much cleaner, crisper.

I spent $17 on a 5 gallon cooler at Wal-Mart and maybe another $20, if that, on plumbing parts at Home Depot and built FlyGuy's MLT. I'll be running it through it's paces again this weekend during a double-brew day, roggenbier and molasses brown. WooHoo!!!

Thalon said:
I must thank the OP for this thread. The quoted text is exactly what this thread resulted in for me. I have been doing quite a few extract kits for 8 months or so, improving with every batch (well, most of them :cross: ) and accumulating more and more equipment. I've been doing a LOT of reading and lurking on these forums learning a TON (I search for old threads that answer my questions instead of posting new ones :rockin: ). I read this thread thinking 'hey I think I'm ready to try Partial Mash', but then realized I already had all the equipment for all-grain except for the MLT and a container to hold the sparge water. So once I realized it took about as much work and money to put together a 3-gallon MLT for a PM as it did for a 5-gallon MLT to go all-grain, it was a no-brainer especially since the cost of the 5 gal cooler is barely a couple bucks more. Since I have only one propane burner, I figure I'll mash in first, heat up the sparge water, throw the sparge water in my 2nd cooler (bought two 5-gal coolers) to keep warm until the mash is done, and then batch sparge with plenty of hot water in reserves. EdWort's Haus Pale Ale coming right up!! :tank:

You do need to know that with a 5 gallon cooler convert you can only get to around 10-12 lbs grain going with a mash. Should be good up to an O.G. of about 1.060, but just don't plan anything larger than that.

PseudoChef said:
You do need to know that with a 5 gallon cooler convert you can only get to around 10-12 lbs grain going with a mash. Should be good up to an O.G. of about 1.060, but just don't plan anything larger than that.

Despite the extra cost, this is exactly why I went with the 10 gallon cooler when I did my conversion a few weeks ago. I actually purchased the five gallon cooler, thought about it overnight, and exchanged it for the 10 gallon the next morning. I wanted to be able to do recipes like Denny's RyePA and BVIP, which wouldn't really work with a 5 gallon MLT.

Burlington ? Greetings from Windham !

I started PM abt 4 weeks ago, and am enjoying the results as I type...soo much smoother than extract - it just seems more like beer *should* be (and I thought my first kit batches were simply the best !). AG is just around the corner. I am pleased to be using recipes and not kits.

I did FlyGuy's MLT from a Victory cooler .. 5 gallon. Very easy to put together, abt $40 total (Wally world and Home Depot). Not looking to do beers above maybe 1050 .. so I think it will do fine for now.

This hobby just keeps getting more interesting ... and what a wonderful resource this forum is..

kappclark said:

I started PM abt 4 weeks ago, and am enjoying the results as I type...soo much smoother than extract - it just seems more like beer *should* be (and I thought my first kit batches were simply the best !). AG is just around the corner. I am pleased to be using recipes and not kits.

I did FlyGuy's MLT from a Victory cooler .. 5 gallon. Very easy to put together, abt $40 total (Wally world and Home Depot). Not looking to do beers above maybe 1050 .. so I think it will do fine for now.

This hobby just keeps getting more interesting ... and what a wonderful resource this forum is..

Sorry to take this off-topic, but are you planning on entering or attending the Southern Vermont Homebrew Competition/Festival? My brother-in-law is the director at the site hosting the event (Bennington museum), so I have been trying to talk a buddy of mine who also brews into throwing together a few batches for the competition (Except it's 9/29, so we need to get brewing this weekend if we're going to have anything in reasonable shape).

Anyway, glad to see a fellow Vermonter - let me know if you'll be at the festival and I'll make an effort to look you up!

kappclark said:

This is exactly what I did last Saturday for the same amount of dough. If I ever want to do anything above 1.05-1.06-ish, I'll just supplement with DME as necessary. The OG hydrometer reading was the best tasting yet. I just don't have space to go completely AG, being in an apartment. Partial mash can be as much as a 75% mash, really...and I can already tell it makes a world of a difference.

Sorry if I'm re-iterating, but I've had too much Gonzo Impy Porter tonight :D

subourbonite said:
Despite the extra cost, this is exactly why I went with the 10 gallon cooler when I did my conversion a few weeks ago. I actually purchased the five gallon cooler, thought about it overnight, and exchanged it for the 10 gallon the next morning. I wanted to be able to do recipes like Denny's RyePA and BVIP, which wouldn't really work with a 5 gallon MLT.

I debated back and forth for quite a while whether to step up to 10 gal or just do 5 gal... I actually bought a 10 gal square cooler first, but the next day exchanged it for two 5 gals. Money's a little tight right now and I was trying to keep the whole cost under $50 (didn't happen, oh well). The way I figure I can just go get a 10 gal and transfer this MLT hardware onto it if I ever want to brew anything bigger than that. There's always a use for an extra 5 gal cooler. :mug:

Thalon said:
I debated back and forth for quite a while whether to step up to 10 gal or just do 5 gal... I actually bought a 10 gal square cooler first, but the next day exchanged it for two 5 gals. Money's a little tight right now and I was trying to keep the whole cost under $50 (didn't happen, oh well). The way I figure I can just go get a 10 gal and transfer this MLT hardware onto it if I ever want to brew anything bigger than that. There's always a use for an extra 5 gal cooler. :mug:

Exactly. When you upgrade, the 5 gal cooler can become a HLT. That's what I plan on doing.

** Off Topic **

Sep 29 th ?

How can I enter ? I actually have something which might be worth entering ... just not sure the category (smile)

How do I find out more info ? I might be at the Cape that weekend, but please send links etc. He can email me if he likes..

Look forward to meeting you !

PseudoChef said:

Let's say I did want to brew up a barleywine or something big (1.100+). Couldn't I mash 12lb grain in this MLT, and add the rest of the fermentables from extract? Make it a PM? I have no desire to in the foreseeable future, especially if stouts can be made around 1.060. But even so, that should work in theory, wouldn't it?

Thalon,

yep. I've seen a lot of guys post that they 'top off' the OG with extract. late extract additions will help with hop utilization (and color) on bigger beers.

So, to start I could get a 5-gal cooler to use as a mush/lauter tun and maybe a 2nd to use as a hot liquor tank, and that would be enough to brew all grain? i may skip over doing partial mashes.

i am planning on buying a 7.5 gal turkey fryer to do full boils anyway, and getting a smaller kettle to do partial mashes. might as well go all the way, right? maybe i'll just get the 1 cooler to do a partial mash and then then get a second later down the road. or something...

by the way, i've read a few of these forums the last few days and they have been incredibly helpful with getting my mind wrapped around doing partial mash brews and all grain brews. thanks so much...

briandickens said:
So, to start I could get a 5-gal cooler to use as a mush/lauter tun and maybe a 2nd to use as a hot liquor tank, and that would be enough to brew all grain? i may skip over doing partial mashes.

i am planning on buying a 7.5 gal turkey fryer to do full boils anyway, and getting a smaller kettle to do partial mashes. might as well go all the way, right? maybe i'll just get the 1 cooler to do a partial mash and then then get a second later down the road. or something...

by the way, i've read a few of these forums the last few days and they have been incredibly helpful with getting my mind wrapped around doing partial mash brews and all grain brews. thanks so much...

I only have one cooler; I use it for mashing & lautering. I batch sparge, and use my old 5 gallon partial-boil brewpot as a hot liquor tank, and the 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot as my boil kettle. IMO, If you are batch sparging, having a second 5-gallon cooler as an HLT becomes less important, as you can just dump your sparge water into the cooler as soon as it is up to temperature, and don't have to worry about maintaining a consistent sparge water temp over the entire course of a fly sparge.

Of course, I am very new to this, so I could be completely wrong - hopefully someone else more experienced has something to say on the matter.

If you are batch sparging, you can easily get by with only the one cooler, especially if you have a second pot that is about 4-5 gallons. If not, you can always lauter your mash into a bottling bucket.

If you are only going to get one cooler for AG brewing (not PMs),I highly recommend that you get a cooler that's bigger than 5 gal. A 5 gal cooler will only let you mash about 12-13 lbs of grain (a gravity of around 1.060 - 1.065 depending on your efficiency). For bigger beers, you can't do a full 5 gal brew. Even with smaller beers, say a typical 10 lb mash, you are probably going to need to do two batch sparges instead of just one because the cooler won't hold all that sparge water.

If you want to be able to do some PM mashes and you don't mind that you can't brew a bigger beer, then a 5 gal cooler is fine.

The best of both worlds, however, is to have one of each. When you do a PM or a smaller beer, use the 5 gal cooler for the mash. If you do a bigger beer, then use the 10 gal cooler. Either way, the second cooler can still be used as a hot liquor tank so that you can lauter your mash right into the boil kettle.

Cheers! :mug:

I too want too start PM can it be done in the bottling bucket and then when you drain through the spigot wrap a grain bag around the spigot with a rubber band? Or will it clog up the spigot?

RICLARK said:
I too want too start PM can it be done in the bottling bucket and then when you drain through the spigot wrap a grain bag around the spigot with a rubber band? Or will it clog up the spigot?

If you want to use your bottling bucket you need to get a large nylon grain bag to hold your grains in the bucket. This creates the false bottom you need to get a good grain bed/filter. You can line the bucket with the bag like you would a trash can, then mash and sparge with the bag in place.

TheJadedDog said:
If you want to use your bottling bucket you need to get a large nylon grain bag to hold your grains in the bucket. This creates the false bottom you need to get a good grain bed/filter. You can line the bucket with the bag like you would a trash can, then mash and sparge with the bag in place.

Alright I will check with the LHBS, Also To keep the BB up to temp Do I wrap a quilt or Something around it because I know it wont hold heat like an Igloo.

Yes, you'll need to wrap a blanket or sleeping bag around your bucket. You could also try some kind of adhesive insulation like the kind they use on pipes but it may not have a high enough rating.

You could also follow Beerthoven's advice and mash in your brew kettle to maintain temp.

I don't think that there is much need for building an MLT for partial mashes unless you know that you will soon be doing AG brewing. I did partial/mini mashes in a small 2gal cooler that I had lying around at home and strained through a large nylon mesh that I placed over the boil kettle. You could also strain through a large colander lined with paper towles. To increase the efficieny you can dump the grains back into 170 *F water, mix and strain again.

Kai

Back