Partial boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
Does it matter how many gallons you use on the partial boil vs. how many you top off in the fermenter? My stovetop takes a little while to get 3 gallons of wort boiling...but does real well with 2. Can I boil two gallons following the recipe correctly, etc? Will this affect the finished product?

is this all extract? if so, just watch it like a hawk to ensure you dont scorch your extract, other than that youll be fine.

if your doing anything with grain, you will leave more sugar behind in the grain if you dont use all the water required

Different boil sizes will effect the end result of IBUs. While I don't worry about these things with my kits, as I'm getting into working on some recipes and buying ingredients separately, I'm making sure to increase my amount of hops to compensate for the loss of IBU I will have in a smaller boil. Programs such as Beersmith can make these adjustments for you. Small detail, yes, but a good thing to know for the future =)

Back