partial boil / hop utlization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzkatsu

Reaction score
I have been thinking about how to get better hop utilization in a partial boil, and was wondering if anyone has ever tried this, or if it sounds like a horrible idea.

If you need more IBUs, could you just toss some hops into boiling water (not the wort) that you are going to cool and mix with the wort with in the fermenter? So you would be adding hops to the wort and also the top-off water.

I'm not sure if the bitterness comes from the hops boiling in any water, or if it has to be in the wort.

jazzkatsu said:
I have been thinking about how to get better hop utilization in a partial boil, and was wondering if anyone has ever tried this, or if it sounds like a horrible idea.

If you need more IBUs, could you just toss some hops into boiling water (not the wort) that you are going to cool and mix with the wort with in the fermenter? So you would be adding hops to the wort and also the top-off water.

I'm not sure if the bitterness comes from the hops boiling in any water, or if it has to be in the wort.

It would bitter a ton in water

Ok thanks. so is there any reason this wouldn't be a viable option when doing partial boils? never heard of anyone doing it before

When hops are added to wort and boiled, the pH is around 5.2 and there is protein present to precipitate much of the polyphenols extracted from the hops. During the boil, hop acids undergo numerous chemical changes and the resultant mix has a profound influence on beer bitterness and the quality of bitterness. When the pH of wort boiling is increased by adding "alkaline" buffers, hop utilization increases but bitterness is reportedly unpleasant. If you boiled hops in water as opposed to wort, the pH would be higher and the flavor would lack. There is a chemical reaction between wort and hops that extracts different compounds, or in different amounts, compared to plain water.

in one of jamil's shows he said boiling it in plain water will give you about 20% more utilization but will also pull some harsh, grassy tastes. i would try it if your interested though. jamil made it sound like it was a reasonable thing to try and the off flavors wouldnt be so overwhelming.

The only thing about this that I would think makes it more difficult for an extract brewer who has no chilling devices would be now you suddenly have to cool down 5 gallons of near boiling water

Back